Overfilled crankcase; alot smoother and powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Craftsmen snowblower, I overfilled the the crankcase and it went 1/2 times over the limit. I've noticed that the engine was very smooth and quieter. I see no oil burning present.

any bad affects on this?

normally if u over fill any engine the main concern is oil foaming or aeration from the bottom of the piston or rotating assembly dipping down and constantly frothing up the oil. Normally it causes oil consumption and engine depoists as it is easier to bypass the rings and splash onto the cylinder walls.

On a splash lubed engine, overfilling can cause oil to not get flung where it needs to per design. Oil will also be blown out of the crankcase breather and all over your snowblower/ground. Vert. shaft engines will pass oil right into the cylinder if the CC gets too full (not an issue for a SB engine.

Joel

Last edited:
Too much oil will find its way out of a splash fed engine. Slightly over filling them is OK as long as it isn't foaming and leaking. I typically go a little over the full mark, by about 1/4". IIRC the small Briggs 6 HP engine I have holds 21 oz of oil. I usually add about 24 oz.

Most B&S engines under 7hp are 20 oz oil capacity, but some are a little more or a little less oil capacity.

Oil should always be in the operating range and never overfilled IMO. I would never overfill any engine. Maybe a horizontal shaft engine like on a snowblower can tolerate overfill a little better than a vertical engine like on a rotary mower.

The neighbor kid last Summer or maybe the one before last overfilled his cheapo B&S lawn mower and it was smoking like crazy and barely running. I dumped it out and gave him a proper refill level of some PYB 10W30 I had laying around lol. They mow half the neighborhood's yards with that thing and it seems to be doing fine on PYB.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Most B&S engines under 7hp are 20 oz oil capacity, but some are a little more or a little less oil capacity.

Oil should always be in the operating range and never overfilled IMO. I would never overfill any engine. Maybe a horizontal shaft engine like on a snowblower can tolerate overfill a little better than a vertical engine like on a rotary mower.

The neighbor kid last Summer or maybe the one before last overfilled his cheapo B&S lawn mower and it was smoking like crazy and barely running. I dumped it out and gave him a proper refill level of some PYB 10W30 I had laying around lol. They mow half the neighborhood's yards with that thing and it seems to be doing fine on PYB.

Just used my snow blower 3 times so far; so far so good and still smooth.

The snow blower engine oil is a mix of Pennziol Synthetic, some Amoco motor oil from 1985, Shell Conventional.

Look at your air cleaner. Too much oil and it will be on your air cleaner. Over filling ain't a smart thing to do.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Look at your air cleaner. Too much oil and it will be on your air cleaner. Over filling ain't a smart thing to do.

There is no Air cleaner.

Snowblowers generally don't have air cleaners because there isn't usually that much dirt and dust in the air in winter to filter out. And they could get clogged full of snow and/or freeze up and starve the engine of air.

OK. I just got a snow blower and you know I haven't even looked and noticed weather it has an air filter. I've only so far assembled the handle on etc, checked the oil and filled the gas and haven't had a chance to use it or look it over yet.

Seems to me you wouldn't want salt ridden snow getting sucked into an engine, but whatever. I still wouldn't overfill the engine with oil.

The intake is usually in a covered area so snow and other stuff stays out of it. But moisture would build up in the filter and freeze, which is why they usually don't have filters. I think some commercial snowthrowers do, but most don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back