Why do people hate lucas products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: Seb
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

The test Bob did is not worth anything

Well why do Lucas use that exact same test on my local car parts suppliers bench to prove how good it is ?

It is not the exact same "test" but it is because people who do not know any better will believe it works from that little device.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

The test Bob did is not worth anything

Why do you say that?

It has been discussed many times on this site why that little test is not valid

Originally Posted By: Sunabozu
I've noticed that a lot of people are anti-lucas, why?

I've used the oil stabilizer in my truck religiously and it keeps lifter noise to a minimum. And the fuel additive seems to improve milage.''

So why?

We had a mechanic the used car dept send trades to that prepped them for the line when I worked at a Honda Dealer. This guy swore by the Lucas Oil additive, he threw a qt of it into an engine that had noise. Funny thing was after the customers had the car a while some found the noise came back after an oil change, once the Lucas came out. I heard the synthetic stabilizer is the better of the two. I don't use any of their products by am familiar with them because of this mechanic I knew.

I used about a pint of the Lucas oil additive as a cam lube when I R+Red the head on a CRV. It worked fine for that purpose, but it was no where near as tacky as STP which I have used in the past on OH cams. It kept flowing off the lobes. I would consider using it to get a few thousand more miles out of a worn out engine. But my BMW I6s dont get that bad before the body rust gets them.

The Lucas synthetic oil worked well enough in the LS1 in my 2004 GTO, and according to the onboard computer gave slightly (not significant) better fuel economy than some others.

When I removed the Lucas and put in the revered brand "A" wonder oil, it began to lightly piston slap. It never did that on any other oil.

This is one off anecdotal, of course, but I know which one I would use again, and which one I likely will not.

No comment on Lucas additives........,but oil pumps cavitate like crazy. Usually, you never notice it. Once in awhile you run across oddball wear patterns on pump gears, almost like somebody sandblasted the edges of the teeth. If you look inside pump housings you can see small areas where you have the pressure transients that cause the cavitation problems. Any air or water vapor bubbles make the problem worse. Any product that helps to entrain vapor bubbles in the oil is really not a good thing.

my engine is over 300k, so really anything i can do to keep'er goin, i'm gonna try, you know?

Well, if it is at 300K, whatever was done during that 300K must be the right thing. Just keep on doing that!

- Vikas

This is 2009. Oils are great. No need to spend money on something else to put in your oil. If you must, spend that extra money on getting a higher quality oil to begin with. I've never used an oil additive and I know this is hard to believe, but I've never had any problems. My engines don't just purr, they sing.

I like fuel systems cleaners and use them regularly but believe there are better ones like Techron or Redline versus Lucas. As for oil stabilizers...if you need a stabilizer additive (which is really just a thicker higher viscosity oil) to mask engine noise you either need engine repair or a different oil altogether or the noise is normal. How can one additive be compatible with literally dozens of motor oil formulas? Easy: It is a weak oil that has very few additives that simply increases the viscosity of the oil you dump it in. The same thing can be accomplished by adding a quart of 40w or 50w oil to your current multigrade fill for a fraction of the cost. If I want to really thicken my oil I will add a quart of Pennzoil 40w for $4.

Originally Posted By: Win
The Lucas synthetic oil worked well enough in the LS1 in my 2004 GTO, and according to the onboard computer gave slightly (not significant) better fuel economy than some others.

When I removed the Lucas and put in the revered brand "A" wonder oil, it began to lightly piston slap. It never did that on any other oil.

This is one off anecdotal, of course, but I know which one I would use again, and which one I likely will not.

Lucas stabilizer will mask piston slap noise in GM engines. They are still slapping...you just don't hear it. But so will a quart of 40w PYB in a fill of PYB 10w40...try it. I did on 2 engines. But once the viscosity starts to shear the slap comes back.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I've used the oil stabilizer in my truck religiously and it keeps lifter noise to a minimum. And the fuel additive seems to improve milage.''

So why?

We had a mechanic the used car dept send trades to that prepped them for the line when I worked at a Honda Dealer. This guy swore by the Lucas Oil additive, he threw a qt of it into an engine that had noise. Funny thing was after the customers had the car a while some found the noise came back after an oil change, once the Lucas came out. I heard the synthetic stabilizer is the better of the two. I don't use any of their products by am familiar with them because of this mechanic I knew.

20w50 will have the same effect. Redline 20w50 Motorcycle oil will quiet even the loudest engines.

I didn't, and don't, use their oil stabilizer.

I used their 5/30 synthetic oil, and would do so again.

also on the nice little lucs stabilizer store displays.......

notice which one spins MUCH faster and smoother....... the one without the Lucas.....

fools don't even realize the other one still has oil on it but does the intended job of the gears/motor much better.....

I wouldn't use Lucas on a newer vehicle that works well.

However, I have seen great results by putting Lucas PSF in failing power steering systems, and Lucas ATF additive in failing transmissions.

However, I wouldn't use it in newer good vehicles because of foam.

I don't necessarily hate Lucas, I just don't find values in them given their pricing and rather aggressive promos...

Q.
19.gif

I don't see a single mention of Lucas UCL fuel add in this thread. As far as I know it serves the same purpose as any other add you dump in your tank.

Joel

Originally Posted By: andyd
I used about a pint of the Lucas oil additive as a cam lube when I R+Red the head on a CRV. It worked fine for that purpose, but it was no where near as tacky as STP which I have used in the past on OH cams.

As an assembly lube, it's OK.

Last turbine overhaul we did, we needed the shafts (60T, sitting on 2 bearings) installed before the lift oil was available.

Lucas did a great job, drizzled down the direction of rotation, once the shaft "cracked", it moved very easily, and didn't squeeze out. 4 rotors, 8 bearings, and 200T of metal, and we used about half a quart of Lucas for about 4 days of re-assembly.

Shafts normally run at 3,000 RPM on 60C ISO32.

I use Lucas UCL religiously. (not on the turbines)

i would almost bet lefty that motor oil can not cavitate inside the oil pump.

can motor oil even do that, uh, ever?

edit: even if it could, why would making the oil thicker reduce the vapor pressure?

Timing gears, which aren't submerged are another area of possibility. Transmissions, rear-diffs like Bob's test.

Also, oil pumps can, and DO cavitate. This is why anti-cavitation pumps exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back