Best replacement for OEM Toyota Type IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the local parts stores all I can get is Castrol Multi Vehicle, Royal Purple, or Oreilly's brand fluid. These all state they are suitable for a transmission needing Type IV. Anyone have any input?

Of those 3 I'd use the Castrol MV. You could also go to Wallyworld and buy their own brand (ST) Dexron VI, which claims to 'be suitable' for T-IV. I recall that one BITOGer was very happy with it in his Corolla.

If you're looking for an "off the shelf" ATF, I'd use Maxlife first if it's spec'd for the T-IV, followed by RP, then the Castrol MV.

I'm using Amsoil ATF in my 2005 Highlander and the tranny shifts better than with the T-IV in it. I've had the Amsoil in for 30k miles.

What Toyota model are you driving (year and miles on it, too)?

I'd likely stick with the oe fluid, especially if warranty is involved.

Otherwise I'd look for the fluid that carries an approval - does maxlife.

Robenstein, is there a reason you don't want to use the Toyota T-IV? I've been using it in my niece's '06 Ford Fusion 6-speed (which specs T-IV) and getting it at a local dealer for $4.52/qt. Last I looked, that price was equal to or less than the 3 you mentioned.

In my HL, with the U240 4speed tranny, I like M1 better than the T-IV. Less shudder on the 1->2 shift. That's all the experience I have.

The quart price difference is insignificant between OEM T-IV and approved non-fullsyn T-IV, making me go towards OEM.

Castrol MV ATF is 3.99/Q and OEM T-IV is 4.99/Q. Either one will be fine but I would go OEM since the price differential is a dollar.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
At the local parts stores all I can get is Castrol Multi Vehicle, Royal Purple, or Oreilly's brand fluid. These all state they are suitable for a transmission needing Type IV. Anyone have any input?

The Castrol Import MV ATf (blue label)should be good for T-IV. But I would call your local Toyota dealer and see if they give a price break on case purchases of T-IV as mine here do.

There is no warranty involved here so that is not an issue. I would rather not go to the dealer because every time I have in the past, the service is unfriendly at best.

No I cant get Maxlife cause its not suitable for a Type IV. I checked the local Wal Mart and none of their ATF stuff is compatible which leaves the stuff that O Reillys and Napa have.

Well the jugs at my Wal Mart must be old then cause I checked the one I just bought a month ago in my wife's trunk and it does not say that.

Well that does make me feel better. Danke sir.

This seems easy to me if $$$ is not a factor....
1. RP
2. Castrol MV
3. Store Brand

Castrol highmileage, Mobil1, and Valvoline Maxlife are also common in most autoparts stores.

RP seems the best and most expensive choice. Castrol MV is also a great choice. I don't care for the generic ATFs unless budget is the determining factor.

I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago and both the MaxLife and SuperTech Dex VI said T-IV compatible. I too will eventually being doing drain 'n fills on a trans that calls for T-IV ('09 Fusion 6 speed auto).

Well the jugs at my Wal Mart must be old then cause I checked the one I just bought a month ago in my wife's trunk and it does not say that.

alot of multi vehicle atf's don't have the whole list (of "suitable" for) on the bottle! penzoil mv atf is notorious for this! i start my research with the product data sheets on line.

i always thought penzoil would sell more multi vehicle atf if they listed ALL the applications on the back of the bottle? but i guess that is up to the marketing "professionals"? they are leaving money on the table by not disclosing the products assets!

the absolute worst disclosed uses multivehicle atf is super tech. it doesn't say on the bottle what it is suitable for and you can't find the pruduct data sheet with a search warrant! mike

Here is my opinion. Remember this is just an opinion. I own a 2006 Toyota Sienna that specs T-IV fluid and have tried the Castrol Import fluid, Valvoline Max life, Supertech Mercon V and Supertech Dex IV. (all state that they are an OK replacement for T-IV). The Castrol was ok. The Supertech Dex VI made the trans slip when warm (makes me think this fluid is way too thin for a T-IV application). The Valvoline Max life and the Supertech Mercon V both worked the best with smooth firm shifts.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the dreadful UOA of Toyota OEM ATF's???? Lets just say they stink! I have used the following in a bunch of Toyota's and Lexus with no problems: M1 ATF,MaxLife,any DEX III or better synthetic like Redline D4 for instance.........I have a number of friends useing Walmart or GM Dex-VI with no issue and I plan on useing Walmart Dex-VI in a Tundra and a 2007 Camry soon. Walmarts Dex-VI is under $4 a quart and is leaps and bounds better then T-IV!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
In my HL, with the U240 4speed tranny, I like M1 better than the T-IV. Less shudder on the 1->2 shift. That's all the experience I have.

Interesting... I just flushed and replaced my fluid in my Highlander with T-IV and now it shudders bad when cold on the 1->2 shift. When warmed up, the shudder goes away, and I also notice a slight "whirring" sound sometimes. I wonder if adding some MMO or Auto RX would help this until the next change?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back