AC Delco PF47 or PF52 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you car calls for the smaller PF47, will running a PF52 on it cause any issues? I cross referenced them at the Wix site and it says that both are without bypass. If this is true I don't see much of an issue. My car would get a little more oil and a little more filter media.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, if you have clearance , use the PF52. I've been using the PF52 on my GM 3800's for years and started using it in place of the PF47 back in 1988 on a S10 pick-up. Bigger is better and size really does matter.

Never had any interference problems using the PF52 on a 3800 '98 Monte Carlo. Lots of room around the filter in that application. Need to check every other application for adequate clearance. Keep in mind that the engine block can move around a little in the motor mounts. You don't want an oil filter to get knocked off during heavy torque loading.

I've used them several times on my Buick 3.1 without a problem.
If I were going to an extended OCI I'd feel better with the bigger filter.

I used to use them on my Grand Am. Some of the ones I cut open didn't have any more media than a PF 47. It may or my not help, but as long as you have the clearance, I don't see how it could hurt.

I have used it many times on my Regal. I have gone back and forth between it and standard size. I didn't notice enough difference in oil "appearance" so I have been using the standard size this year.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Using it on my 4.3, but make sure you have enough clearance

I thought all the 4.3 Vortecs called for a PF52 anyway? Mine did.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: defektes
Using it on my 4.3, but make sure you have enough clearance

I thought all the 4.3 Vortecs called for a PF52 anyway? Mine did.

Some of the 2WD models call for PF47.

Good. Since my beater 85 Monte has an old 4.3 that calls for this filter, I can just stock up on them and slap them on it and my lady's 3100 equipped Pontiac that has lots of room.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Oh. Thank you. Ya - it was a 4WD with the remote mount. (took me forever to find it on the first home OC!)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Oh. Thank you. Ya - it was a 4WD with the remote mount. (took me forever to find it on the first home OC!)

hehe, I remember when I changed the oil for the first time on my pickup the new filter was twice as big. "this cant be right"

And makes you go buy a filter cap socket if you're like me.
Can't really get my hand up in those trap doors...

I have one of those self adjusting filter wrenches. I have no love for the cap sockets. Too many differences out there. This one I bought online works for just about every filter I have ever seen that I can put it on.

Ya. Me too nowadays, for taking them off. I usually use the cap sockets lined with a paper towel (to tighten the socket fit and avoid gouging the paint on a new filter)to put the new filter on.
I can't get a good grip to get the new filters all the way tight from where I have to reach.

yeah the filter location on the 4.3 was a horrid design. And if you have a fram filter, forget it the friggin grippy stuff makes the use of a wrench impossible.

I got a different truck now, but there's still no way I can get a good flat palm and five fingers on it to get that very last 1/4 turn without the socket or a band wrench.

The worst filter change I ever had was a 87 S10 with a 2.8. I always had to get a second pair of hands. I had to insert it through the drivers side wheelwell, but could not turn it. I could just line it up. Someone had to reach down from the hood to spin it on while I kept it lined up. You had to do it this way since you could not fit the filter through all the stuff up top and it was more of the same on the bottom.

A very poor design. Almost as bad as trying to find and fit a new starter on a V6 Ford Contour.........man that is one I hope I never have to do again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back