Chevron Delo 400 10W30 in a Passenger Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've been reading in this forum, diesel oils have a higher quality base stock and better additive package for cleaning engines. What would happen if someone ran this oil in a regular passenger car gasoline engine ? Any thoughts ?

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

[ January 16, 2006, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: GoldenRod ]

I just now ran a search on Delo 400 10W30, and some of the threads mention that diesel oils can be harmfull to catalytic converters. Why is this and how does it harm the catalytic ?

Potential harm to the catalytic converter is also one of the reasons for the SM rated engine oils. Sorry I can't accurately recall the offending particles, so I won't hazard a guess and risk being inaccurate. This info isn't hard to find, though.

The biggest problem with catalytic converters is getting plugged, typically by burning too much oil. So how do PCMOs address the problem ? By reducing the antiwear additives so that eventually your engine burns more oil :^)

Delo 400 has higher levels of phosphorus and zinc etc. Delo is formulated for gas and diesels engines used in commercial duty. Delo is a great oil, I don't have a problem with running Delo oil in my cars "truck" . Look in the oil anaylsis section and look at the numbers GoldenRod.

I want to run some in my old Saturn to hopefully mildly clean the rings. Good luck finding the 10W-30 variety however. Availability is what's stopping me. 15W-40 is common.

GM long-term, controlled testing demonstrated that phosphorous (a component in ZDDP) "poisons" catalytic converters to premature failure.

Kanling - that's what I did. My daughter's '95 Saturn was plain nasty motor wise and burned a quart every 700 miles. I started using Delo 400 15W40 and it did a wonderful job of gently cleaning the inside of the motor, (my biggest indication was the color and condition of the dip-stick). Oil consumption went from a quart every 70 miles to a quart every 1300 miles. I was impressed.
I live in Florida where winter starting is not really something to be reckoned with.

I ran Rotella 10-30 for 8 years, and 210,000 in my Mercury Villager. It is also a diesel rated oil. There was no cat poisoning involved, and the van passed an emissions test every year. If your vehicle burns oil, the higher levels of P (of the additive ZDDP) MAY poison the cat, and make it ineffective. The flip side of this is that the higher level of anti wear additives, and cleaning agents in diesel rated oils can keep wear down, and keep the engine cleaner to start with, avoiding the situation of oil consumption in the first place. The final decision rests with you, but the diesel rated oils are very good, and the cat poisoning issue is based on an individual situation. Your Saturn would be fine on the 15-40 varieties also if the temps are above about 20 degrees. BTW, Rotella 10-30 is available at all my local WM. There is another thread on the site about Delo 10-30, and you will find Delvac 1300 in 10-30 at Truckpro outlets.

quote:

I've been running Delo 15w-40 in my Acura Legend for the past 90k miles; engine now has 361k miles...never been apart.

Does 15w40 Delo hurt your gas MPG ??

361,000 miles
shocked.gif

I ran Mobile Delvac 15/40 in my 89
Mazda pick up.
The EGR valve pluged up.
Could of been due to the hi ash content.This was back in 1992.

I think you'll be fine running Delo in a passenger (gas) car.

I've been running Delo 15w-40 in my Acura Legend for the past 90k miles; engine now has 361k miles...never been apart.

The engine in the 1st generation Legend is known for chronic lifter noise after the engine gets some miles on it. Delo has quieted down the lifter noise substantially. At cold start-up, I get a bit of ticking which disappears in about 10 seconds after startup.

As an aside, this engine has had castrol GTX 10w-40 since new (well, almost new) until I got the car at 272k miles. I switched over to Delo and it continues to run fine. Uses a quart of oil every 4500 - 5000 miles (my OCI is 5k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back