Subaru ATF = Dexron III ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJC

Does anyone know if Subaru ATF is the same as DexIII? The manual says to use either. But I'm thinking to use it in my other cars that call for DexIII

Reason I'm doing this is because I have Subaru gift certificates from my credit card (Subaru Bucks). The web site here lists the ATF as Subaru ATF/DEX III.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=14494

Should be able to use it in any DEX III tranny? Just trying to save a few bucks
55.gif

If the manual says you can use either, then they are basicly the same. I would used Mercon V in place of DexIII as it is much better fluid

I emailed SOA asking what to use in my 97 Legacy GT.

This was their response:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am happy to learn that you are enjoying your 2008 WRX STI and 1997 Legacy GT. Nice cars you have there, Matthew!!

Subaru recommends Dexron II, III or IIE automatic transission fluid (ATF) for your the power steering fluid for your 1997 Legacy, as note on page 10-28 in the owner's manual. As Dexron VI now supercedes Dexron III and II, any vehicles, that recommended the use of Dexron II, III or IIE ATF can use Dexron VI.

Thank you, Matthew, for the opportunity to be of assistance. Happy holidays to you and your family!

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request #1-596827325

Dex VI is very thin and is designed for the new GM transmissions and their fuel economy objectives. It may be backwards compatible, but has caused problems in some vehicles of older design. You can use the search feature to get first hand info on those posts. If it were me, I would use the Mercon V, as it is closer the what was spec'd for that car when it was first built, only better

DEX VI works perfectly in Subarus P/S system. It is all I install. This P/S system is very hard on fluid and destroys DEX III very quickly ( I have seen dark brown fluid in 18 month old Subarus ), so it ends up FAR thinner than DEX VI.

What I want to do is use the Subaru ATF in my other cars; such as my Tacoma truck (t-III/dex-III) and Nissan Sentra (matic-d/dex-III).

I basically get Subaru parts free since I have their credit card and have Subaru Bucks gift certificates. I get a few hundred a year.

Just wondering if their OEM fluid was rebranded dex-III since the link i posted suggested it's the same. I plan to use their coolant, oil and brake fluid in the other vehicles too.

It's called Dex III because Dexron III is no longer around. It may meet or possibly exceed Dexron III, but it isn't Dexron III.

I read my reply from SOA as saying that Dexron VI supercedes all previous applications calling for pre-Dexron VI fluids, not just power steering.

I'd make sure the Subie fluid meets the specs for the applications you plan to use them in. The only ones I wouldn't worry about are the oil and brake fluid. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is DOT 3/4 brake fluid if you change it every 30k or so. JMO

Last edited:
Dexron-VI is not recommended for transmissions other than GM's Hydramatic transmissions and certain Allison transmissions...unless the transmission maker says it is OK. If Mr. Mergen of SoA didn't make a mistake, it must be OK.

Does your Subie have an Aisin-Warner transmission? It'll probably have a name plate on the side. Many A-W transmissions were made to use Dex-III in the past. I wasn't aware that any were certified for Dex-VI. It sounds like the Subie ATF is indeed Dex-III, so it can be used in other transmissions that call for Dex-III.

Officially certified Dexron-III IS available under the label of Allison TES-389 for those Allison transmissions that need it and owners too cheap to use synthetic TES-295.

My 1996 BMW calls for DEX III for PS fluid. I have been running DEX VI for almost a year now, no issues what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back