Storing gasoline in #2 HDPE container

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there is a difference in #2HDPE's such as oil containers, gas cans, boat fuel tanks and other #2HDPE plastic containers. I was going to drain gasoline from my tractor into a thick walled #2HDPE 10 gallon container and keep it there for about a month or two before using it elsewhere. The lid to this container actually has the same threads on it to fit my fuel transfer pump. This container was originally used to store an industrial water based detergent and has been thoroughly rinsed out. It's even red in color. Would this be okay or is #2HDPE plastic for fuel storage different than other #2HDPE containers?
MP

You will be fine if its thick walled HDPE.

Anicdotal response, I cannot tell you how many people I have seen buy and store gasoline in milk jugs. Way back when I used to mow grass for a fellow that used a 1 gallon milk container for gasoline for years. A milk jug naturally is much thinner then what you are talking about but it is also made of HDPE plastic.

A bit more technical response. Roughly 1.5 to 2 years ago someone had a similar question that their HDPE container was getting soft while storing FP60 I think and wanted to know if it was the plastic container. I dove into my 49 CFR and tried to get to the bottom of how I know that I can ship or store a given chemical in a HDPE plastic container or LDPE supplied container. The 49 CFR specs a IP-2 inner container which is usually HDPE but when I tried to clarify what an IP-2 had to be made from it simply states durable plastic.

So I went the supplier route. I have Uline hazmat boxes that all come supplied with thick walled HDPE containers but I was unable to find the spec for my UN approved shipping container that mandated what plastic had to be used. After reviewing all the supplied testing data for the packaging I still did not find a way to satisfactorily link material A to packaging material B and I have not thought about it again until now. I did also pose the exact question to the program coordinator when I was getting re-certified. Unfortunately he was not able to point me into a direction I had not already traveled.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/cfrassemble.cgi?title=200349

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11480/Haz-Mat-Products/4-1-Gallon-Industrial-Shippers

HDPE containers are surface treated to withstand solvents. HDPE milk bottles, oil containers, and detergent bottles will not hold gasoline as well as the proper containers.

In the wrong container gasoline will sweat odor. Keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted By: severach
HDPE containers are surface treated to withstand solvents. HDPE milk bottles, oil containers, and detergent bottles will not hold gasoline as well as the proper containers.

In the wrong container gasoline will sweat odor. Keep an eye on it.

I appreciate the link. Now I have one more piece to my puzzle.

Well, I put 10 gallons in there today without a problem. It has sat in the barn for about 8 hours odor free and I feel confident it will be fine thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back