Valve Cover R&R - Kawasaki FC-590 Water Cooled V-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to R & R the valve cover gaskets on my Kawasaki FC-590 water cooled 20 hp twin. It has just about 550 hours on it powering my JD 345 tractor & 54" mowing deck. Its been run for hours at time mowing lawns and a 5 acre pasture. Sometimes its also pulled a tag-along second mower. About 1/2 the time it now powers the tractor, the deck and a bagging system in the Texas heat. At the end of a three hour job it is STINKING hot!!! Works like [censored] in the summer and sits for 3 to 4 months in the winter.

I've used the factory recommended 10W-30 grade up to 500 hrs. Pennzoil/Castrol. Presently its using Motorcraft 10W-30. OC's have been at least ever 50 hours or as low as 25-40 depending on the filthy conditions its working in. Lots and lots of fine powdery dust here in Texas.

I'm posting the snaps as I'm floored at how clean the engine is inside.... amazing... considering the extreme temperatures, heavy load, fire walled throttle, and dirty, nasty, cruddy, environmental conditions.

Well I was fixin' to post a picture. Can't see how to do it...
Dang!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Rotella T 15W-40 would be a better choice considering the heat of Texas summers.

Yep, or 5w40 for extreme summer heat, regardless of being liquid cooled. The only thing I've ever heard of going wrong w/ those Kawi liquid cooled twins is water pump leaks. Gotta keep an eye on that. Other than that, they'll go 3000hrs+

Joel

OK... hope this works....

starboardcylinderheadbf.jpg
[/img]

Thanks again to Drew for his technical assistance and to Stang for his humor!!

Cheers!

I had a pushrod / valve issue with a 23hp Kawasaki on a JD 737. They linked this to dirt and debris buildup on the cooling fins. They appeared clean but trash was building up underneath where you could not see. I shouldnt complain, the machine has 1200 hrs and this is the first time it has been in the shop. By the way mine is air cooled.

I have an air cooled Kawasaki V twin engine in my lawn tractor. Each spring, I pull the shrouds off of the cylinders and blow the engine clean with compressed air. Engine runs like a charm. One of the best engines I've had in anything I've used.

Cooling is also an issue on this engine. Chaff can totally clog the radiator screens. It will form a dense mat over the pre-screen and the fine screen. I clean them after each use. Also, dust will clog up the radiator's fins. I use a leaf blower to carefully blow out all the dust after every use.

I can see why an air cooled could be problematic. You cant see under the cylinders or in the nooks and crannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back