2001 Suzuki SV650 - 1500mi Mobil 1 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined the site just to post this. I've taken a keen interest in the engine of my SV650 after I started running it in trackdays.

13,000 on the engine, stock internals. The most recent oil was Mobil-1 10W-40 syn high mileage. Before that (the older data) is for Mobil-1 4T racing 10W-40.

Picture2-2.png

Everything is completely stock on the engine, and I am careful about thorough warmups before running it hard on the track. Blackstone gave me a concise overview as usual, but I wondered if anyone here could tell me anything more.

With racing it in mind - what's the best way to ensure the longevity of this engine? Anyone have experience with the approximate life of an engine such as this experiencing the stress of trackdays?

I guess wear metals don't look too bad considering you run it hard. Iron could probably come down a little. If you are serious about making your engine run a long time under racing conditions, I'd recommend using Redline brand oil.

Also, you might want to check/replace your air filter. It looks to me that silicone is creeping up and that usually relates to a dirty air filter.

Last edited:
Very consistent results between the two UOAs. Are you sure the oil at the 11,500 mile mark was M1 4t motorcycle oil? The levels of phosphorus and zinc seem to indicate a more conventional automotive M1 oil.

+1 on what KernelK said.

I have the big brother to this engine (TL 1000) with 70,000 hard miles on it and it still runs great.

I have read about some problems with some SV 650 engines bottom end but most seem to last a long time even when raced.

Can you put up the viscosity ect... info that came with your UOA.

how the heck are you getting 20 silicon on a street bike at a track?

when i have just 4 samples from my dirtbike that are >= 20 !!!
(20,22,22,24)

what (or lack of) air filter and filter oil do you use?

yeah and wanna see the susvis and other info.
plus how many miles/hours on the sample?

as said, iron seems a little high but may not be for that engine.
aluminum is typically clutch basket wear.

Here's the rest of the data:
Picture3.png

Dsmith: I've been looking at Redline as well as Motul for my next oil change, at the beginning of the season. It sounds like you prefer Redline.

KernelK: I'm fairly sure that the earlier change was M1 4T racing; I may have it mixed up with an earlier oil change, but I remember putting in M1 10W-40 high mileage after taking that sample.

Cven: Good to hear about your TL. Yes, I've heard some noise about cranks breaking, but it seems like that is on 2nd generation bikes (different crank), or bikes where the power output has been increased above 80 horses.

Sunruh: Air filter change is on the winter to-do list. Haynes manual calls for it at 12k miles, so I'm slightly overdue, but I have cleaned it regularly at oil changes. The current air filter is OEM. Hopefully the next UOA will reflect the new air filter.

Suzuki oil filters were used during both of these runs. 1,500 on both samples.

What component does iron indicate wear from?

this oil actually was 40wt, the last was not.
good flash because of no fuel. good!

iron can be but not limited to, gearset, bearings and rust.
any place there is steel.

when i say i only have 4 samples that show >=20 silicon. that is out of 54.
your air filtration is poor at best.

The M1 car oil actually had a higher viscosity at the end of the run...It would be interesting if both oci's had the similar track mileage...I think there's a couple more voa's with this oil keeping it's viscosity.
The wear numbers look low considering track use....

Sunruh is correct about the silicon being high for the miles but..... some of it could be from the additive package in the oil and may not be from poor filter performance.

Got to love a high reving V-twin, dare I say mixmaster of doom times 2.???? LOL

that would be true if......the previous oil was not a 16.

or does that show high silicon in a voa as well?

how much can we remove from add pack?

i doubt you're running your bike in the same rpm range.
tests of the same oil on a yz450f vs my yz250f show my smaller bike kills the oil faster. or maybe how i ride.

Cven: I love the SV on the track. Torque everywhere, makes it a ton of fun to blast out of corners. Does silicon often show up as an additive?

Sunruh: Not quite following you, what does "16" mean with reference to the previous oil?

silicone with 20 on this oil and 16 on the one before.
your "trend" is very high for a road bike.
but to know if that is true you need a voa to compare the starting levels with. was it zero and you injested 20 or was it 14 and you sucked in 6?

Sunruh, thats the point I was trying to make about the Si in my post above.

Your right about the rpm range being different. If I ran my bike near its top rpm for very long I'd be in the weeds or jail in no time. LOL.. My TL has gear driven cams on the top end "short chains on the bottom" but I can only guess if that chews up the oil more than a normal setup.

Do you have any idea of the capacity difference of a 250 vs the 450? I would guess??? that would play some role in how bad the oil gets beat up.

Jkb4c I love the feel the v-twin gives and may never go back to a "faster" but not as fun to ride 4 cylinder bike. Yamaha's new r-1 motor was made to mimic the traction-feel of the v-twin but retain the high rpm power of the 4 cylinder bikes, right from the Moto-GP bike.

Also, you been to "the gap" lately?

actually i do.
and this one will probably get you wondering.

yz450f '06 - 09 is 1L with filter change
yz250f '06 - 09 is 1.3L with filter change

so more oil in the smaller motor that kills it quicker.

one would think the bigger gears in the 450 would cause more shearing. and that would be the case if most didnt spin the 250 at least 2000rpms more.

Ya, the capacities do seem odd. Do those motors use the same cases?

Just another guess on my part but if rpm made all the difference you'd think those 600s spinning 15,000 rpm would kill the oil in no time.

Maybe smaller bearing/gear surface = more psi on the surface plays a roll? The more you think about this stuff the more unanswered questions arise, at least to me. lol..

they share NO common parts in the motor that i know of.

very very very few ever get a 600 to 15k. if/when they do it is for a blip in time. most of the time the engine spins 6-7k for long periods of time. which is a little slower than most guys will run a 450f and 3k less then what i'll maintain mine at....for 2 hours.

a track 600 would kill the oil. a street 600 dont see any real rpms for extended time at all. you cant. when redline in 1st is the speedlimit for any hiway how could you? and the wail of the exhaust is gonna get LEO ears looking in your direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back