Aisin Warner 6speed Ford transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

yes

I'm wondering what the general recommendation is for oil in this transmission? I bought some Valvoline Max Life full sythetic a while back and was considering using that. It says it meets the spec for the transmission. I was going to drain all I could a few times since I don't have the proper machinery to do a thorough flush. I believe 3-4 quarts may drain out at a time although it holds 7-9 quarts. Is this an acceptable approach? Will the Valvoline Maxlife not mix properly with the OEM Ford oil?

Last edited:
A bunch of partial fluid changes is a good idea.
It is not the most efficient use of fluid, but it works to approach a full fluid change.
Consider installing a drain plug in your pan, it there is not one there already. It make subsequent fluid changes easy and fast.

Fluid type? If it meets the current specs, go for it! Full synth fluid in a trans is always best. More so than an engine.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A bunch of partial fluid changes is a good idea.
It is not the most efficient use of fluid, but it works to approach a full fluid change.
Consider installing a drain plug in your pan, it there is not one there already. It make subsequent fluid changes easy and fast.

Fluid type? If it meets the current specs, go for it! Full synth fluid in a trans is always best. More so than an engine.

Its supposed to be XT-8QAW

After a lot of research here and online, I've determined that Ford XT-8 is actually rebadged Mobil 3309, which also happens to be Toyota T-IV. Since I can get T-IV at the Toyota dealer for half what Ford charges ($4.52 versus $8), I've been using that in my niece's '06 Fusion with the AW F-21 six-speed. In fact, the dipstick even says "T-IV" on it.

The Maxlife should be ok too right? I figured I'd use it since I have 2 gallons already. Specs:

Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III

Last edited:
Since I am still under warranty I used T IV fluid, Ford dealer wanted $9 dollars a qt . Toyota dealer wanted $5 and it says TIV on the dipstick, you need 4 qts ,mine took 3qts 6ozs on a drain and fill, drain plug is 10mm Hex Socket.

I saw genuine Toyota brand T-IV in Carquest today for 4.28 a quart. I'm sorry I sent away (to Avlube) for a case of Mobil 3309 because the shipping put it at approx. $6 a quart.

Well if it's the AF40 used in many other vehicles it requires a newer fluid with the "AW 1" approval. Good luck finding that. And it's not the same as JS 3309 or T-IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back