cheap fixes for stripped battery side post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S3010048.jpg

Went with the 1 inch long bolt with a nut and lock washer. Used the lock washer becauce unlike a fender washer it would fit in the recess of the cable end. Also like its "crush washer" function.

Didn't get to tigthen the nut separately but I compared my bolt system to the stocker and I got two more threads. Figure five engaged threads for this, three for stock. The old one fell out after about a turn. Feels solid now. I like the leverage strength against shear forces of its being in there deeper.

The next size longer in bolts, 1.25", wasn't threaded all the way to the head so there wouldn't have been any more room for the nut.
frown.gif
But the inch long worked perfect. And the larger head looks boss and might make better contact for jump starting... makes me wish my positive terminal stripped instead.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Dieselbob
I would try a regular 3/8-16 bolt first. The extra bolt threads my engage enough to get you by. Use flat washers as spacers so the bolt doesn't bottom out and wreck the battery or not tighten up. As a side note, when buying new, I always try to get a dual terminal battery. If one of the terminals bites the dust on you, just move to the other. They also work great if you are adding battery powered accessories.

This is a side terminal battery, so how would that work?

Change the battery cable side terminal to a top post cable terminal. I was able to do that on a battery where the battery negative side fitting became electrically disconnected internally. The top post still worked fine. Got five more years out of the battery. I always buy batteries with both terminals now. The cost is the same.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Went with the 1 inch long bolt with a nut and lock washer. Used the lock washer becauce unlike a fender washer it would fit in the recess of the cable end. Also like its "crush washer" function.

If you remove the big plastic insulator from the end of the cable, You'll probably find just a wimpy looking ring terminal crimped onto the end of the cable. I left my insulator off when I made my repair. I can use any size washer I like. Makes it easier to monitor corrosion too. The plastic hides it, and probably promotes it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back