Armor All and belts and hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its about time for a new belt, I guess. It is a Saturn branded belt and I assume original at 127k. When I get a new Dayco on there I plan to treat it with armor all before the install. Since it is a rubber preservative I assume it will prevent the belt from dry-rotting, but will it induce squeal or slipping?

Also, it is good for hoses to prevent them from cracking, no?

I don't think Armour All is suitable for use on a drive belt. It tends to leave surfaces slippery, and you may in fact get squealing or slipping. Just put on the new belt as-is, and call it a day.

Worn out/glazed belts need belt dressing, which is a spray-on resin that restores some grip . . temporarily. Used car dealers swear by it. Only real solution to a worn/glazed belt is a new belt.

I would not use Armor All on a belt. If a belt is making noise try this, I found the tip here on Bitog. Try putting a blob of Silicone Dielectric grease on both sides of the fan belt. It did it several weeks back and it quieted down a noisy belt for me.

How much longer than 127k do you need that new belt to last?

Armor all isn't going to help anything and might even make it slip. Belts don't need any preservative.

I have learned the hard way NOT to use any belt dressings.
A little water spray to test for a slip or squeak is OK.

At 127k, consider a new belt - possibly pulleys.
Really.

Never put anything on the belts especialynot something like armour all it will make the belts slip! If you wanted to but anything on them candle wax,bee's wax or parrafin onthe outer surface if it doesnot drive anything witht he back side would be about the most you might do! The wax would keep oil from penatrating it assumeing your car leaks oil at the front timing cover! The days of belt dressing are gone you only use that junk on V belts not on serpintine belts!

Don't put ANY cr*p on belts or hoses. At best, they'll do nothing or make the belts slip, at worst they'll leach components out of the rubber leading to early failure and dry-rot.

Belts and hoses are *made* to survive under the hood in very harsh conditions. Dayco, Gates, et al know what they're doing, don't try to out-guess them.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I watched and warned a guy about armorall on his motorcycle tire sidewalls. I also watched him go down in a parking lot later that day...

If he was riding on his sidewalls he was going to fall anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back