Who uses Amsoil Saber at 100:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running the Saber Pro at around 100:1 for a couple years now. I use it in:

Stihl String Trimmer
Stihl Blower
Stihl MS361 Chainsaw
Husqvarna Edger
Echo Hedge Trimmer

I ran the blower for 3 gas tank fulls is a row with no stops other than gas last week. It was held on the throttle stop through all 3 tanks continuously with no issues. I do this a number of times every year.

I use it at 80:1 since a 8oz. bottle mixes to a 5 gallon gas can.
Have used Amsoil 2 cycle oil for many years and the Saber Professional since it came out in a snowblower,weedwhacker, hedge trimmer and packpack blower. Have never changed a sparkplug in any of them and get virtually no smoke. I really swear by the stuff.

I still use a quart of the old 100:1 Amsoil had before Saber. I had a landscaping biz that I sold 4 years ago. I had 5 weedeaters 4 backpack blowers and 2 big saws. I ran them all at 80:1 and never had a problem. I still have one weedeater and one backpack blower, both are now 9 years old and almost always have had the Amsoil at about 80:1. Run it and worry about something else like changing the air filters.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I tried it out at 100:1 in my chainsaw today. It ran great, no roughness or added noise. much less smoke then the old oil I was running.

What other oil were you using? I'm thinking about Saber after I use up my Mobil 1 Racing 2T

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I always use Amsoil Sabre' but at 100:1 the RPM of my blower seemed slower. So I went back to 50: 1 and it did speed up and ran cooler.

I think 1:60 or 1:80 is as "far out" as I would go.

We are talking pennies and it is a "low smoke" oil.

-I had an Echo blower that called for 50:1.

-Used Amsoil Sabre' at 100:1 and it seized.

-Made a new mix of Sabre' at 50:1

-Drizzled a bit of MMO down into the piston and let it sit an hour.

-Started up and has been running for about 5 yrs since the incident.

Last edited:
More oil = more power. Plain and simple. In addition to that, your bottom end will appreciate the extra bit of lube. Remember, these two strokes don't run in an oil bath. All the lube it's getting is coming in the fuel. Running too light an oil mixture will shorten engine life.

I tried the 100:1 stuff in a motorized bicycle (49cc 2-stroke motor frame-mounted on a bicycle) and it ran ok, not as much power and was quite a bit warmer than at 50:1. Not a good feeling for me personally at 100:1, but to each his own...

My preferred 2-stroke blend is 50:1 synthetic 2-stroke oil plus 1-oz. of MMO per gallon of gas. Never had a problem in years for running 2-strokes in many different applications.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something but why the desire to run 100:1 vs. manufacturer's recommendation? I don't get it. Particularly in OPE where minimal amounts of oil and fuel are consumed. What's the objective?

In the old day when ignition was produced by point and condenser, too much oil would foul plugs. Things have changed very much since then. Ignition is solid state and provide a much stronger spark which helps keep the plug from fouling. Two stroke oils have been refined to produce less smoke and ash.

I have quite a few two stroke engines and never have plug fouling issues. I have updated the ignition systems on my old Yamahas with state of the art electronics and they run flawlessly for thousands of miles on the same plugs. Back when those bikes were new, you'd be lucky to get 500 miles on them before the plugs would foul.

Running the recommended oil ratio is what's best for the engine. You'll get more power and the engine will live longer.

I have used it at 100:1 in 18HP Evinrude, 85HP Suzuki outboard (without injector), Chain Saw, String Trimmers and Blowers.

I remember it being Very Thick compared to other 50:1 2 cycle lubes that I have used.

Is it possible for Saber to be 2x more "concentrated" than today's 50;1 oils? That is the only explanation I could explain for the 100:1 recommendation.

I remember running Homelite saws at 16:1, then they came out with better oil and changed the mix to 32:1 for the same saws....according to Barnacle Parp the new oil was more "concentrated"! I assumed the next move to 50;1 was because of even better, more "concentrated oil".

With all the concern about ethanol fuel, Amsoil is doing themselves a disservice by not adding a stabilizer to Saber Pro, like Stihl does.

Saber Pro serves the crowd that wants to use something "better" than recommended by the OEM.
27.gif
Yea, Gary, I'm asking for a spanking, again.

And....it's sad to think that at one time, Homelite or McCullough were THE status symbol saws to be carrying around.

According to Amsoil - -AMSOIL Saber 100:1 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for 100:1 mix ratios in normal service. Richer mix ratios may be used where desired.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
100:1, Why ??

Oil is the lifeblood of any two stroke, why reduce the quantity available ?

FWIW, any serious two stroke testing I've seen shows increased power/torque at richer fuel/oil mixtures too, all the way up to 16:1.
I'm even uncomfortable at 50:1 with a premium syn racing two stroke lube (15.5cSt@100*C) in my saws with premium unleaded. These things are revving at 13500RPM unloaded and are always run at WOT in dense hardwood. If things get hot (and these engines are all air cooled, and it's possible for cooling fins to get a little blocked in use too) I'd rather have a bit of lube up my sleeve.

If I was to use the Ams Sabre, I'd only use it at the factory recommended ratio if it was new or near new equipment, particularly something like a pro saw that would be worked hard.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

+2
thumbsup2.gif
It isn't worth it to me, if I were to use it I would use the ratio stated by the equipment mfg. I'm sure it is a good product, but cutting the mix ratio in half or more is a big gamble I'm not willing to take. JMO

I never saw any difference at 80:1 versus 50:1 BUT the Amsoil Saber is being used for home personal usage. I would say it falls in normal service and I highly doubt I'll ever reach the amount of hours before it fails since I've got a good name quality brand 2 stroke equipment. I make small batches and left over goes into car fuel tank.

For home usage since such low volume of 2 cycle fuel is being used I believe the 100:1 according to Amsoil will give sufficient protection...I wouldn't doubt it since it's being labeled. Hour usage is so low compared to professional level.

The 100:1 is not for hard commercial usage...it clearly states it on the label for Normal Usage.

Amsoil Saber is not junk, it's good stuff if not one the top 2 cycle oils out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back