How to make carburator cleaner at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Why on earth would you go to this much trouble when the div>

My guess would be if someone wanted a large amount to soak a carb in.

Why the ATF? This is an old myth. If it works in the mix, it is despite it, NOT because of it.

If gas was so good, why is there build up in a gas system?

Kerosene is an OK cleaner.

Acetone is a strong solvent cleaner.

Carb cleaner is cheaper.

Cans are less expensive, but 5 gallons of chem dip is not. I can see how this would be great for that purpose or soaking parts.

A boiling pot of water outside on a hot plate works surprisingly well. Blow out the passages with compressed air when done.
I used to know a crusty old guy who kept a nasty old dishwasher in his shop for cleaning parts. Worked amazingly well when used with scalding hot water and a little dish soap.

The dishwasher works like a charm but be avare of wifie!
Great for engine parts, calipers- you name it.
Only real drawback is - wifie doesen like the smell in
the washer.

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
the washer.

+1 the diswasher works great..when nobody's home. To get rid of the smell spray about 10 blasts of Clorox Bleach spray cleaner into the dishwasher and run a cycle with a double dose of dishwasher soap.
Mike is stainless steel inside so there is no problem with smell once it has been cloroxed....the wife has no idea her Lexus RX330 throttle body was in there. That thing ran absolutely perfect but you have to remove all the electronics. I threw all the plastic intake ductwork and engine cover in there too...spotless.

Last edited:
The dishwasher worked great but when I ran my CV shafts and brake drums through the dryer the laundromat owner threw me out!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The dishwasher worked great but when I ran my CV shafts and brake drums through the dryer the laundromat owner threw me out!
wink.gif

ROFL! Can you imagine a brake drum pounding around inside a dryer? That would be awesome!

one could always make a carburetor cleaner

I wipe the dust inside so it looks cleaner.

Next, I follow the projectile of the looks to find the cleaner.

Never shake the cleaner nearby! Don't forget, it looks cleaner, innards may be harmed.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
wink.gif

This is going up on my facebook status, I about fell out of my chair.

I have breast cancer, it isn't a genetic thing. That means it came from the enviroment. My freewheeling usage of all sorts of long chain moleules for a half century might have contributed. Just saying is all.

A sobering reminder for nitrile gloves. If one washes their hands with soap and water, and they still smell like petrochemicals... guess what seeped through the skin? I'm guilty occasionally.

Wife had a relative who played in Carbon Tet all his life, nasty stuff, messed him up.
frown.gif

Bitog just became a little more redneck friendly. Hate to flame, but nothing like having a big ol' bucket of highly flammable toxic waste sitting in the garage.

And yes, wear gloves! Having all the junk seep into your skin in the name of machismo is a fools game.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: ac_tc
the washer.

+1 the diswasher works great..when nobody's home. To get rid of the smell spray about 10 blasts of Clorox Bleach spray cleaner into the dishwasher and run a cycle with a double dose of dishwasher soap.
Mike is stainless steel inside so there is no problem with smell once it has been cloroxed....the wife has no idea her Lexus RX330 throttle body was in there. That thing ran absolutely perfect but you have to remove all the electronics. I threw all the plastic intake ductwork and engine cover in there too...spotless.
Some dishwasher detergents warn about mixing with bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back