Oil recommendation for a 2002 Hyundai Sonata V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owner's manual recommends a SG grade oil, and a viscosity of 10W-30, 10W-40, or 10W-50(???) if normal temperatures are above -10F.

This seems like a very odd recommendation to me, considering this is a fairly new vehicle with new design all aluminum V6 engine. Most companies are recommending the latest API grade, and 5W30 or 5W20 year round.

I have owned since new, I now have 66k miles on it. I have been using dino Havoline or SuperTech oil, SM rated since it has been out, 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in summer. I change oil and filter every 3000 miles. I will probably follow the 3k mile OCI until my 12year/120,000 mile warranty is up.

Anyone have any comments?

follow the manual but use the sm oil. I'd just stick with 10w-30. its good for around -30f

My Isuzu is pretty much the same, 10w-30 recommended for above 0F and to use 5w-30 below 0F, but only if cold starts are an issue.

I always used straight 10w-30 havoline year round for 139k, just this winter put in 5w-30 and have 2k miles on Havoline blend.

Not experiencing any issues, but in March, 10w-30 Havoline blend will be going in for spring, summer and fall.

Just curious... I've noticed that a lot of people change the weight of their oils, but I'm curious what benefit is derived from changing from 10w-30 in the summer to 5w-30 in the winter? Why not just run the 5w-30 all the time?

That's a good question vronline, one I've asked a couple of times and never got an answer.To me it makes absolutely no sense.My guess is that because there is a "10" instead of a "5" then somehow the oil is better in the summer.Some people make the point that 10W uses less VII so they shear less.I've reviewed practically every UOA posted here and most dino 10W30's shear at about the same rate as the 5W30's.I've seen people recomend Mobil 1( not Mobile) 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter also.According to Mobils website the 5W30 is slightly thicker at both 40c and 100c than the 10W30. By that logic the 10W should be used in the winter and 5W in the summer!

That's my understanding as well. I'm fairly new at perusing the "oil specs", but this is pretty interesting to me. I just switched to Mobil 1 0W40 in my Taurus... From what I have read, it seems the thicker oils may tend to protect a little better.

I had been a Castrol Syntec user for some time before the change...

Hi.
Any 10w-30 will do the job.Make sure you change the oil and filter every 7500kms not 15000km if you use mineral base or semi synthetic engine oils.Can go up to 15000km/1 year oil change intervals with fully synthetic engine oil.we use Castrol 10w-30 at work for the last 6 years no dramas at all.seen many cars passed 200000km mark with castrol FMX magantec 10w-30(Semi synthetic).Not Castrol GTX 10w-40 magnatec.

Hyundai's previous generation Sonata owner's manuals advised, per climate conditions, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50, 20W-40, and 20W-50 in API service category SH or above. I see nothing wrong with what you're using, sambojoho. For model year 2005, Hyundai began recommending, and using as factory fill, 5W-20 for year 'round use in that engine in any climate, and they've carried that revised recommendation over to the all new 2006 Sonata's engines. The only reason Hyundai lists SH is that in some world markets, that may be all that's available. (Hyundai sells in India, for instance.) Use any current SM oil in a viscosity range appropriate for your climate and your engine will remain happy for many moons. I just did an oil change in my '03 Sonata V6 today - its first fill with the Phillips 66 TropArtic Synthetic Blend 10W-30 SM that I purchased last August at Dollar Tree. I guess the deafening screeching will eventually quiet down with continued use... (just kidding - it's almost as quiet at idle as a dead church mouse) Incidentally, if you're interested in a BIG oil filter for that engine, a WIX Gold 51626 or a Purolator PureONE L14619. (If you're cheap like I am, a WIX Silver 21626 or a Purolator PremiumPLUS L14619 will do fine up to 5,000 mile OCIs. Like you, I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles.) There's plenty of room, the bypass opening pressure is listed as 8-11 psi, and you'll be able to run a full five quarts instead of the oddball 4.77 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back