Reccommended oil for my Chevy Astro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Chevy Astro RWD. with 315,000 km (195,700 miles) and I am wondering what is the best oil for my vehicle.

Although mileage is high, the engine appears to be in excellent condition, it runs smoothly, does not burn any oil at all and has no leaks.

I have had the vehicle for a little less than 4 years and drive it less than 10,000 km (6,200 miles) per year. My wife drives it 2 x 3 km per day approximately - year round and it is used quite a bit for boat towing (approx. 3,800 lbs trailer and boat weight) during the summer half. Less than ideal conditions, I'd think.

I currently use Castrol High Mileage 5W30 and Fram ToughGuard filter. I change oil at 5,000 km or less (3,100 miles).

Would I do better with synthetic?

What transmission oil would you reccomend? I had the transmission serviced about 6 months ago but have no idea what the mechanic put in it.

The engine and tranny are under a lot of strain as I frequently pull the boat through mountain roads with long very steep stretches.

No need for a synthetic.

Our shops astro loved valvoline maxlife HM oil. but if the castrol is giving you good results stick with it imo. If it has no leaks though I would consider just running a 10w-30 dino in summer and running a 5-30 in the winter.

To save some money I would go to the AcDelco filter or Supertech ones from walmart. They will give you great performance at less of a cost.

As far as transmission oil I have always had good luck with Valvoline or Napa branded oils that meet your vans spec.

Your OCI is good IMO, frequent short trips, heavy load = 3k-3500 OCI.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Seeing as how you're in Canada can you get Rotella 0w-30 where you are? That would be a good winter oil. Rotella 10w-30 would be a good summer choice. As for filters I'd go with one manufactured by Purolator or Wix. They're high quality at a price that is almost always better than Fram, at least down here.

Many thanks for the feedback! Seems that I might not be too far off with what I am using now.

I have been reading reviews on filters online and Fram certainly does not get the highest scores. I have already picked up a Purolator Pure One for the next oil change.

GM recommends 5W30 for the Astro but I notice that some of you are recommending different viscosity?

Engine and tranny get very hot and sometimes smell by the time I reach the top of a steep hill with the boat trailer in tow - I do have a tranny cooler mounted. Would a change in viscosity or synthetic in engine and tranny protect better under such conditions?

I'd rather get the best possibly protection for the powertrain than try to save a few bucks on oil and filters.

Quote:
and sometimes smell by the time I reach the top of a steep hill with the boat trailer in tow -

In what way? Do you mean rotten egg smell from the catalytic converter?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
and sometimes smell by the time I reach the top of a steep hill with the boat trailer in tow -

In what way? Do you mean rotten egg smell from the catalytic converter?

That could be it - I never thought of the catalytic converter in this context.

I don't tow much this time of year but have to pay better attention and try to determine the source next time. The van has never failed the mandatory AirCare (required for most vehicles in BC's lower mainland) but I have always thought that the exhaust is pretty smelly. Could that be the catalytic converter too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back