Audi S4 4.2L V8 - Lubro Moly vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Fuel additives won't help a DI engine since the fuel is introduced after the valves.

This is not a direct injection engine.

From what I've read, the problem isn't so much the FSI but more the PCV system (which sucks). Most guys run an aftermarket "Catch Can" system to remedy this, and not just on the FSI's but the 1.8T's as well which are non FSI (along with the 4.2 in the Audi in question, as well as my old S4 2.7TT).

Last edited:
What about Rotella T6 5w-40? The 15w stuff scares me as it does get quite cold here fo most of the year, at least at night.

lol.gif
jpittsiv ..you are getting way too much information to handle problems that you don't have.
lol.gif

..now if you ever DO have a DI engine, you're already well versed on how to cope with it and still have deposits
grin2.gif

The 15w-40 is probably viable at your cooler temps. You're not subzero.

Originally Posted By: jpittsiv
What about Rotella T6 5w-40?

It's not available yet but the old Rotella T 5w-40 is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

It's not available yet but the old Rotella T 5w-40 is a great oil.

What is that called? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Last edited:
Amsoil AFL has shown well in many mercedes Benz engines well beyond OEM OCI and OLM, why wouldn't you even try the Euro blend? It is higher value than their other products and comes in a 5L jug!

15w-40 and 5w-40 HD essentially meet the same specs, so I dunno why people favour one so much over the other, except well below freezing temps.

What would be the opinion of using Rotella 15w-40 and a 2500 mile OCI vs one of these higher end synthetics and a 5000 mi OCI?

Depending on the type of driving I bet you could go longer than 2500 miles, but I would definitely do a UOA with TBN to confirm.

Last edited:
Well based on many factors including price, availability and reputation, I decided on the Amsoil AFL and a 5k mile drain interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back