Why would a Sequoia spec 75w-140 for the rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Toyota Sequoia specs 75w-140 synthetic oil for the rear differential. It has the towing package and a limited-slip (I think), but the front diff and transfer case only require 75w-90 or 85w-90 and doesn't specify synthetic. I previously owned a 2001 Tundra and I don't remember seeing this requirement, but I never changed the rear diff fluid before I traded it.

Any ideas as to why?

I'm considering going with a thinner oil for possible fuel economy plus it seems crazy to play the $19 per quart for something that doesn't seem necessary.

What am I missing?

Looking at Amsoil's Online Product Application Guide, 75W/80W-90 is what's listed for your vehicle. Yours probably spec's 75W-140 because it's equipped with a towing package. Most heavy duty applications require a thicker differential fluid.

BMW does too.

Loading, size and spec of the bearings, etc. all come into play.

When I worked at a Ford dealer they were making a big deal about their Rear axle on the Expedition being bigger than the Sequoia.

Don't know all the details.....Maybe the Sequoia axle is a little undersized? Don't know for sure. I would run a high grade synthetic like Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140, or if you feel lucky the Severe Gear 75w-110.
Trying to save a few $$$ on gear lube is false economy. Especially if you tow.

If you ever tow anything then you have to stay with 75w-140. In the other hand, you may be able to use 75w-90 in the rear differential if you don't plan to tow anything.

When you tow, most (or all) of the power will be going to the rear. That might be why.

I sincerely doubt a 75w-140 will hurt fuel economy compared to a 75w-90 in a Sequoia.
wink.gif

My '07 Frontier specs this same fluid, btw - it's 2WD and no towing package.

I used the Amsoil fluid.

Originally Posted By: ideliver
My Infiniti QX56 specs 75w-90 but the Titan specs 75w-140. It seems they think that more truck owners tow than SUV kidhaulers.

And the Titan, IIRC, had a massively undersized diff that required cooling fins and all sorts of other stuff, right?

Likely the heavier fluid provides better protection at the bearnings and moving parts as it gets hot.

Probably because the rear axle will be taking all the torque from the drivetrain when in 2wd, and in 4wd the front axle will get about 50% of the torque.

The Grand Cherokee also recommends it. It seems to be a common recommendation for bigger pickups and SUV's.

Ford recommends it for all their trucks as well.

I've got 75w90 in it right now (Shell). I will likely flush it in the spring for some Motorcraft 75w140.

Sounds like it's more normal that I anticipated. You'd think that the auto parts stores would stock more options of 75w-140. I can only find Royal Purple and Mobil 1. I talked to the mechanic that's going to do the 90k service and I'm convinced that they'll use the correct quality fluid. I'm glad to say that I have a trustworthy shop to do the work that I don't want to do or can't do myself.

I'm not concerned about the money factor other than wondering if it was a waste to spend the extra. I have never towed anything in the 15k that I've owned it and likley won't much during it's life.

My co-workers Duramax specifies 90wt for the rear end.

Because of the towing package! Ford calls for 140W too in its vehicles with towing packages. Why is it an issue for you? As long as you get a good 140Wt. not some cheap junk you will be fine. Only purchase name brand synthetic 70W140 the Generic stuff has a tendency to channel which in cold weather could cause your diff to fail. So M1,Redline,Amsoil,Motul,Schaffers all make a good gear lube in the 140W catagories. Stay away from generic junk!

If you have no plans on twing you culd easily use a good synthetic 70W90 and never have any problems but if you plan to tow best to follow their recomendation until you have time to work out if it is really needed.I ran a lot of 70W90 Mobil-1 in just about every Toyota prior to making the switch to Redline and never had a problem even when towing. In my deffence though my vechiles never called for 140W I just used it because it was popular down south.

In fact I towed a 4Runner from Gerogia to Michigan with a 1995.5 Tacoma with 2.7 I4 and 5 speed manual with M-1 70W90 gear lube and had no problem at all and I am sure that 4Runner had to be near of past the limit fo the little Tacoma!The main reason is Toyota does not know what brand of gear oil will be avaialable to it's purcher. So on the off chance they are going to run Walmart brand 140Wt. which I would never do in a cold climate they specify based ont he lowest common denominator.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
Sounds like it's more normal that I anticipated. You'd think that the auto parts stores would stock more options of 75w-140. I can only find Royal Purple and Mobil 1. I talked to the mechanic that's going to do the 90k service and I'm convinced that they'll use the correct quality fluid. I'm glad to say that I have a trustworthy shop to do the work that I don't want to do or can't do myself.

I'm not concerned about the money factor other than wondering if it was a waste to spend the extra. I have never towed anything in the 15k that I've owned it and likley won't much during it's life.

My co-workers Duramax specifies 90wt for the rear end.

I think the reason auto parts stores don't sell much 75w140 is because so few people ever change gear oil.

Toyota & GM rear diffs use thinner smaller gears than do their domestic competitors (Ford) On some diffs you cannot even get an aftermarket replacement because they are engineered specifically fo fit in the carrier envelope (Ex. 4 Runner 4.88). You should use the best 75w140 synthetic you can find. I would recommend redline or amsoil. You have a lot of power pushing a lot of weight with that gearset...treat it nice...or it will make you pay.

Mobil1 75w140LS will be fine. Go to the rebate section and print the AAP $10 coupon for a $25 purchase and save a few bucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back