time vs miles for timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

A friend's mother is getting told to change timing belt on a 2003ish toyota avalon, because of time, not mileage. The car has roughly 50k miles.

Is there any basis behind this? I do not believe it, I think it is an attempt at an upsell.

What about for accessory belts?

Thanks.

How does the timing belt look? Any cracking or signs of weakness?

Same thing with accessory belts, how do they look?

When is the timing belt due for this car?

All the information I've ever seen about timing belts (which is admittedly not a huge amount) mentions changing the belt based on mileage, not time. I can't imagine the belts degrade over time.

Even if it did, doesn't Toyota only put timing belts in their non-interference engines and chains in their interference engines? If so, even if the belt were to break, the engine would stop but there wouldn't be catastrophic failure like if the chain in an interference engine broke.

As for the accessory belts, do they look frayed, worn, cracked or otherwise not in good condition? If so, change them. If not, leave them be.

I will look at gates and do that to help my friend out. My main issue/question is if there ever is a practical basis (Im not talking 30 year old cars here) for doing it with time. It sounds like no.

We will be checking the accessory belts, but again, a basis for time vs. apparent condition or mileage?

I just changed the belt on my Grandmother's 1998 Chrysler Cirrus with the 2.5 V6. She has 40k miles on it, but I was concerned about the age of the rubber. The belt looked fine. It could have easily made 5 more years and 60k.

Find out exactly what year your friend's car is. From 1995 to 2003 they had a timing belt, from 2004 to present they've used a timing chain.

I've always used mileage rather than time to change belts. Like many things on cars, the quality of the OEM timing belts has improved a lot over the last 20 years or so, so even if it took someone a dozen years to reach the mileage threshold, the belt wouls still be OK.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I just changed the belt on my Grandmother's 1998 Chrysler Cirrus with the 2.5 V6. She has 40k miles on it, but I was concerned about the age of the rubber. The belt looked fine. It could have easily made 5 more years and 60k.

Same with the timing belt in my 99 ford at 150,000 miles. I hope the new Gates belt is as good as the factory belt!

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Of course time matters. You don't think rubber degrades over time?

But the belts are not only rubber. They are fiberglass or Kevlar and covered with rubber.

I'd say inspection would be my first thing to do and if something looks not right (cracked teeth on the belt for example) then replace. If everything checks out then go another couple of years.

Bill

I'm from a very dry climate, and I've driven cars from the grave with 15 year old belts. Ford Lima engines are great powerplants. The ones with the covers intact haven't seen nearly the same exposure. I would not suggest putting faith in daily driving a car that has an old exposed timing belt.

I changed my Honda 1998's timing belt at 10 years. It had 45,000 miles on it. It could easily have gone another 5 years. (Recommended change interval was 60,000 miles, manual mentions no time related change interval.)

Depends on a couple of things, is it an interference engine, can you see the belt without incurring major cost. I have one vehicle that costs almost as much to look at the belt as to change it and after 8 years I did as it is an interference engine. So, weighthe cost versus the cost of a new engine. I say after 8 years you need to look at the belt regardless of the cost. If over 60,000 miles and 8 years old replace it, yours is about 6 so it looks like you can wait a year or so more

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Of course time matters. You don't think rubber degrades over time?

Absolutely it does. But 6-7 years? It is a 2003 model.

I'd base it all on whether or not it's interference or non-interference. Most cars I've had were non but I changed them out at 60k regardless of time.. could of went 100k shoot even 150k easy. I've seen 15+ years timing belts that looked good just stretched a bit.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
I changed my Honda 1998's timing belt at 10 years. It had 45,000 miles on it. It could easily have gone another 5 years. (Recommended change interval was 60,000 miles, manual mentions no time related change interval.)

Yes the manual does. It says 84 months (7 years) or 105k miles. It also says to replace the timing belt at 60k miles if you drive in one or more of the following conditions: very high temperatures (over 110°F) or in very low temperatures (under -20°F). http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AC0202/AC0202O00283A.pdf

Now, the OP has a question about a Toyota who uses a different belt supplier than Honda so none of the above may apply. However, one OEM does recommend changing on a time basis if mileage is not met.

My wife's '96 Toyota RAV4 timing belt failed earlier this year at the 13 year, 102k mile point. Belt was worn out due to rubber degradation causing the teeth to strip. I'm sure dry air and heat over time was the reason for the failure.

I was lucky as this engine, like most Toyota engines, is non-interference. Tow trucks are relatively cheap. I'll probably drive the current belt to 100k miles (recommendation is 60k miles) or failure, whichever comes first.

If the engine is non-interference (I suspect it is), she isn't driving extensively in Death Valley, and she doesn't have a handicap that incapicates her, I'd give it a couple of more years before changing.

So who here has broken a timing belt and how far did you have to take it (mileage)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back