Carquest Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my understanding that the Carquest Premium (Blue) filters are the same as NAPA Gold. The one bought from Carquest for my Sonata says Wix Affinia on it.

Last edited:
Both Blue and Red are made by WIX. Only the Blue is a WIX® filter. The Red is made for CQ by WIX.

Quote:
Both Blue and Red are made by WIX. Only the Blue is a WIX® filter. The Red is made for CQ by WIX.
The one that was installed at a service station on my daughters car was actually white with red Carquest lettering. Also, said Affinia (wix parent) on the can. Not that important, but the can itself was white. When I cut it open, it closely resembles the NAPA Proselect recently posted here.

Yes ..absolutely ..made by WIX for those interests (NAPA and CQ). The only distinction is the difference between a WIX® that's rebadged and a "made by WIX" filter. WIX sells only ONE WIX® filter and it is identical to NG and CQ Blue..they make many for others that are of lesser quality.

I take the Napa Proselect comparison back. It was actually a Protect filter as posted in this thread.. The Protec also appears to be an Affinia/Wix product. Though there seems to be some sort of secret regarding what filter(s) are made by "Wix".
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes ..absolutely ..made by WIX for those interests (NAPA and CQ). The only distinction is the difference between a WIX® that's rebadged and a "made by WIX" filter. WIX sells only ONE WIX® filter and it is identical to NG and CQ Blue..they make many for others that are of lesser quality.

+1, should clear up the confusion.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I take the Napa Proselect comparison back. It was actually a Protect filter as posted in this thread.. The Protec also appears to be an Affinia/Wix product. Though there seems to be some sort of secret regarding what filter(s) are made by "Wix".
21.gif

..but no filter other than the NG/CQ Blue ..and (a big) WIX® are of the quality level to be called a "WIX filter".

It would be like me making Cadillac's (make it MB's/BMW's whatever) in the same factory (or a different plant for that matter) that I make Yugo's for export. The Yugo's aren't in any stretch of the imagination "Cadillac's" (MB's, BMW's, whatever).

The example is extreme, granted, but a critical one that many miss.

That said, the filters made to a price point are competitive in performance to the alternatives in the market.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

..but no filter other than the NG/CQ Blue ..and (a big) WIX® are of the quality level to be called a "WIX filter".

So a branded "WIX®" filter doesn't deserve to be called a "WIX filter" unless it's over a certain size. WT?
lol.gif
Does someone else besides WIX make "WIX®" branded filters below a certain size?
21.gif

OK, well I was just making the point that the Carquest filter (white with Red lettering) looked very similar in construction to the Protec fiter in the linked thread.

The Protec said made in Little Rock SC, which then was said very cryptically to be close to the Wix Dillon plant in SC, by the Wix authority.

Where I get confused is, when Purolator makes a filter like Motorcraft and now Bosch et.al., we say it's Purolator made. No problem with anyone in this forum, right.

So is it ok to say(or not), that Wix makes brand X, Y or Z, as long as we don't say it's a Wix (branded) filter right?

Just want to get it right, and not step on anyone's toes, so to speak.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

So is it ok to say(or not), that Wix makes brand X, Y or Z, as long as we don't say it's a Wix (branded) filter right?

It can be Made by WIX, but not say WIX on the can. Many filters like that on the market ... Purolator has many varieties of their filters. Only filters that actually say "WIX" are WIX branded filters. Only filters that say "Purolator" on them are Purolator branded d filters ... ect, ect.

Pretty straight forward IMO.

LOL! I well understand that filters, any filter, can be made by a company, like Purolator or Wix etc., yet not be their "branded" filter. It's made to the specs of the company they manufacture it for.

Just seemed that since there is a retired Wix employee on the board, some offense seemed to be taken when a filter was called a Wix when it didn't say it on the can. I was just trying to get the distinction right so as not to offend anyone.

Anyway, I would say the Carquest (red)is made by Wix/Affinia, and the Protec being similar in construction, is also made by them.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
It is my understanding that the Carquest Premium (Blue) filters are the same as NAPA Gold. The one bought from Carquest for my Sonata says Wix Affinia on it.

Yes. The Carquest "Blue" filter is the same filter as a Napa Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back