Mobil 1 Syn ATF + Mazda MV = Smell in car-HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Mazda 6i 5sp ATX (Jatco??) I did a drain/refill middle of last year at approx 30k miles. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic (the older formula). Just a few weeks ago, at 52k miles, I did another drain/refill with the newer Mobil 1 Syn formula. Immediately I noticed the wretched smell of the new forumla, which left me scouring the packaging and web for info. I settled on it being the same spec; Mazda MV which is NOT Mercon-V. A few days later, I checked the level and realized I was about a quart overfilled. I drove the car for a few days until I could drain some out. I never noticed any odd behavior, but I did notice that when the climate control was set to fresh air, I could smell the fluid through the vents at a stop, after the trans reached operating temp.

After draining out the excess fluid, I did a road test and still notices the fluid smell in the car. I checked the fluid again and it was still over just a hair. So, I drained another quart. The smell kind of went away, but the fluid was at the "Low" mark. I added about 3/4 of a quart and drove the car for several minutes. The level was exactly at the full mark, but the smell returned. I investigated the source of the smell and found that with the dipstick removed, the smell that enters the car is VERY strong at the dipstick tube. The fluid does not smell burnt, and is still translucent red.

I am at a loss as to what's causing this problem. I did have a leak at the drain plug for a few days due to a mis-aligned crush washer. A little fluid got on the undercarriage and I thoroughly cleaned it off so I know I'm not smelling spilled fluid. Any advice on what to do next? I'm tempted to just get 10 qts of Mazda MV and do two successive drain/refills to get rid of all the Mobile 1 I can. Is there anything specific that would cause the fluid smell to enter the car, other than a leak somewhere, which I have not found?

Last edited:
be like my friends and dont mess up a good thing...never change fluids of any kind, you might disturb the crud...if it runs good dont worry about it, of course i am no expert

that is what you get for being conscientous...i wonder if anyone else noticed this with M1

I had the exact same thing in my 07 Fusion. I cahanged to the M1 ATF two weeks ago.(Better shifting by the way) Three days after changing we took a trip to Florida and the first stop in Kentucky we noticed the same oil ordor. Every stop we could smell it. Got back this Tuesday evening and drained out just a little fluid(was over filled 1/3 of a Qt.} and the smell is gone. After rechecking the dip stick the fluid is right on the upper full mark.

Do you have the drain plug? I think we have the same tranny. There must be a vent of some sort allowing fumes tho escape into the heating system or something when the tranny is over filled.

Last edited:
I have used the revised M1 ATF and your correct about the smell. Quite distinct to say the least. Reminded me of synthetic cat p*ss. Did any fluid overflow when your engine was warmed, or did you spill any while removing the fluid? Over one quart of fluid is quite a bit for a transmission, best to keep it in the hash mark area.

I'll have to check the level again this weekend. The manual says to drive for 5 miles or more then check the fluid. The problem if that if I drive 5 miles or more, the fluid level is always lower than if I drive 30 miles, like a trip to or from work. I wonder if I'm checking it at the wrong temperature? The tranny temp should not get higher the farther you drive, assuming it's at operating temperature.

Always maintain your vehicles.

Smell is from spilling when filling, that so-called leak that soaked your undercarriage, or possibly an overflow burp of ATF.

Use the car wash and pay for the undercarriage option. The 1st rainy day that you drive in will take car of the rest of the spill.

The problem with the owners manual is that it doesn't take into account every situation. 5 mile warm up drive in Alaska will yield a different ATF temp than the same drive in Phoenix. IR gun, ATF temp gauge, or scan tool will let you know if the temp is accurate enough for measurement.

Well,

It shouldnt smell if you didnt spill any. The Transmission is basically sealed with exception to the dipstick tube.

If its like our Mazda, if you pour it in too fast, it burps and fluid leaks out past the funnel and down the outside of the tube. We had a bit of a smell for a while until I figured that one out!

I'm running Mobil super ATF Multi vehicle. Its a Canadian syn blend formula. the Mazda runs great with it, and no smells.....not that I doubt you.

I plan to check for spillage as well, but I doubt I'll find any. I cleaned every accessible area after the dripping drain plug incident. I'll be sure to check the dipstick tube, as well. The smell is as strong now as it was before. I didn't get any burping when adding fluid, so that's not it. I do notice the smell of the new fluid in the bottle is nasty, but not nearly as bad as the mix that's in the tranny. It has a sweaty, musty odor.

On a side note: I just gassed up the car and checked my mileage over the past tank and I've lost about 7% mileage. I was getting 29.6 and the past 2 tanks I got 27.3, approx. Not sure if that's due to winter formula fuel or could be related to the tranny issue??

I know I'm gonna get trashed for this, but I just don't believe in "universal" ATF. I mean, a lot of the specs these fluids claim to be compatible with are contradictory at best. How can one fluid meet two specs with opposite requirements?

Anywho, I think you had it right: get rid of the M1 and re-install Mazda MV. Apparently these 2 fluids don't play well together.

More weirdness: I checked the level tonight after a 40 minute drive and noticed it was actually just a hair under the "Low" level! [censored]? So I added just a little(1/4Qt or less) and took a spin around the block. After adding that very small amount of fluid, the level was about 1/2 - 3/4 to the full mark! How could it be in the "add fluid" range and then be in the almost full range by adding less than 1/4 of a quart? Something definitely strange happening.

I'm taking it to Aaamco in the morinig for a diagnostic check and probably a flush with Mazda MV.

Dipsticks on ATF are 'usually' twice as sensitive as engine oil dipsticks.

And, temperature will vary the ATF level by an inch or more.

Are you checking the level on a perfectly flat/level surface with the vehicle running in park after shifting the level through all detents?

No weirdness. I wouldn't waste my time with aamco.

Yes, the car is level, and shifter moved through all detents. I know the ATF level is more sensitive, but I wasn't expecting the result I got, I guess.

Aamco said they'd take a look for no charge and they have a decent price on the fluid service. This shop is highly recommended and my Dad had his ATX rebuilt there about a year ago with great results. They drop the pan and allow the TC to drain down, no machine. Which, according to the guy I spoke with, gets the majority of the fluid out. He also suggested adding Lubegard, which I've heard of but never used. Guess I'll find out in the morning.

TC won't drain down.

Dropping the pan and doing nothing else is just as good as your drainplug removals.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
TC won't drain down.

Dropping the pan and doing nothing else is just as good as your drainplug removals.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I may just do a couple drain/refills with Mazda MV, if that's the case.

Is there any reason the fluid level would drop other than a leak? Can an ATX "burn" fluid, like and engine can burn oil? Like I said, the fluid is still clear and smells the same as when I put it in. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

No bases to cover other than your method of checking the ATF.
It needs to be consistent. Obviously, you're not! Invest in an IR temp gun.

You're right, my method of checking the level is flawed.

I had Aamco tech drive the car, smell the fluid, etc. He said the smell I'm mentioning is just the friction modifiers in the fluid and possibly due to three "types" of fluid mixed in the transmission. I can kinda see this as a possibility. I do have Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF from June '08 + Mazda MV factory spec and now newer formula Mobil 1. They offered me a deal on draining the fluid and dropping the pan if necessary: $40 and I provide the fluid. I may take them up on this, just to save myself some trouble. The tech did say that the friction modifiers in the newer fluids stink something awful. So maybe getting mostly back to fluid from a single source will help alleviate the issue. He said he saw no signs of burning or any leaks, so that's good news.

You are over filled mate. Didn't you see my post early in your thread? Since I drained down my fluid no odor.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You are over filled mate. Didn't you see my post early in your thread? Since I drained down my fluid no odor.

I thought it was overfilled, too, but the tech at Aamco checked the level and said it was right where it should be after a 20-minute road test.

I'm gonna drain all I can out and replace it with a single formula over the course of a couple drain/refill sessions, probably with either Mobil 1 or Mazda's MV. I'm pretty well convinced that the mixture of the three fluids is causing the weird smell.

Last edited:
If you are over full it has to vent. So it will either come out the vent tube or the dipstick tube. It can and will getonto hot parts which will cause it to vaporize and stink even more. After you get the level right wash the underside of the car and under hood that should solve the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back