snow blower break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.
I wanted to know how long it takes for a snow blower to break-in, or the rings to break in.
It says to change the oil after 5 hours - than 50 hours after that.
Will the rings take 5 hours to fully seat - or it is usually longer.

I know that most car engines usually take a few thousand km's.

just wondering
thanks
nik

Last edited:
5 hours is usally about right, your snow blower runs many more rpms then a car does so breakin is much quicker. I would change at 5hrs, then 20, then 50hrs. After that every 50 should work fine or every season

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
5 hours is usally about right, your snow blower runs many more rpms then a car does so breakin is much quicker. I would change at 5hrs, then 20, then 50hrs. After that every 50 should work fine or every season
+1
thumbsup2.gif

The last time I broke in a small engine (B&S) I drained the oil after 1/2 hour of high idle. Oil came out like semi metallic silver paint. Ran it for 1 hour under load and drained it again and it looked OK. Glad I drained it after 1/2 hour.

Just follow the 5 then 50 hours. If you use it more than 30 Hrs but, less than 50 hours in one season, then change it once a year

Last edited:
90% of break in happens in the first hour of operation. The other four hours takes care of the other 10%. Break in doesn't seem to be a critical these days with new manufacturing methods. Getting that first oil change done early doesn't really have as much to do with break in as much as it is to flush out manufacturing grit. That will never go out of style. I assume that the five hour recommendation (pretty much standard on small engines) is to have enough oil circulation to get as much grit out as possible.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
+1
thumbsup2.gif

+2

Originally Posted By: Billbert
The last time I broke in a small engine (B&S) I drained the oil after 1/2 hour of high idle. Oil came out like semi metallic silver paint. Ran it for 1 hour under load and drained it again and it looked OK. Glad I drained it after 1/2 hour.

Same here.
thumbsup2.gif

Get those shavings outta there!!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: Billbert

Same here.
thumbsup2.gif

Get those shavings outta there!!

I'm with you guys, the typical small engine [5-6 hp] holds about 22 ounces of oil IIRC. Why chance it? 30 minutes at a moderate idle, and dump it. Then use the machine for about an hour or so and dump it again. After that I change the oil every 30 hours, or at the end of the season.

Ok for 5 hrs break in, but I think 50 hrs is a lot on an engine without an oil filter. Does the manual say 50 hrs? Otherwise I would aim at like 20-30 hrs oci. Briggs at least used to say so.

I have an hour meter on my power washer, and 25 hours is the limit I'd run the oil. I'd do the same for the snowblower, but I've never had more than maybe 5-6 hours total time of use, even during a very bad winter.

Originally Posted By: lars11
Ok for 5 hrs break in, but I think 50 hrs is a lot on an engine without an oil filter. Does the manual say 50 hrs? Otherwise I would aim at like 20-30 hrs oci. Briggs at least used to say so.

My late model small four stroke engine manuals say 50 yrs. More often if working in dusty conditions. No oil filters on them either.

Let's not forget that the engines are only running at 3600 rpm. There are tons of small motorcycle engines that run two or three times that speed with the same amount of oil in them and run for a thousand miles or more on an oil change. I don't think 50 hrs. is too long.

I find it ironic that some people will steadfastly stand by their owners manual's recommendation for some aspects yet are reluctant to accept the same manual's recommendation in others?

I have been breaking in new engines by doing the initial change after an hour. Then another change after 5 hours.

Then every 25 after that.

25 hrs with a snowblower is usually once a season for me.

25 hours is 2x/season with my tractor.

Last edited:
I’m with Billbert, boraticus, tpitcher, Pete591 and demarpaint. I change oil the 1st time at about the 1.5-2.0 hour mark. Like stated previously, the oil comes out looking like silver soup. My 2nd change is at about the 5 hour mark … with the oil looking better but still showing plenty of visible debris.

3rd change is at about the 10 hour mark. Again, there is usually some visible bits if you look closely enough … but the oil actually looks like a lubricant and not some horrific abrasive slurry.

All during this time, I am using a top oil of some sort: 2-stroke oil, Lucas UCL, MMO, etc … in just about every tank of fuel.

I know these simple OPE engines will give long life without this extra care … but these efforts are cheap (some time and an extra $3-6 depending, depending …) and usually produces an exceptionally tight, smooth running engine that will give you maximum service life. My engines do not consume oil … even using thin synthetics for extended intervals.

I bought an inexpensive Chinese, 3000 watt Champion generator a couple months ago and went through the break in process. When I dropped the first oil, I ran it through a coffee filter. Not a speck of grit to be seen. Even outside in the sun. I ran the generator non-stop for close to five hours with a 2000 to 3000 watt varying load. Dropped the oil again. Clean as it was when it went in. I was thoroughly impressed with the build quality and clean assembly of this little GX200 clone! I've owned many, many single cylinder engines on a lot of different equipment. The engine on this generator runs a good as any of them and better than a few. It's seems like a real gem. Being that's the generator is only for back up purposes and seeing little, if any use , it will be hard to tell how durable the engine will be in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back