Pennzoil Platinum vs. Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both in 5w-30 flavors...

Which is the better oil? Perhaps one is more stout than the other? Maybe a stronger additive package? Better suited for longer drains?

Why is it better?

2) A bit off topic...Why is Castrol Edge more expensive? Isn't Castrol afraid it will push away the more cost conscious customers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Both in 5w-30 flavors...

Which is the better oil? Perhaps one is more stout than the other? Maybe a stronger additive package? Better suited for longer drains?

Why is it better?

2) A bit off topic...Why is Castrol Edge more expensive? Isn't Castrol afraid it will push away the more cost conscious customers?

My answer to your second question is because it has PAOs in it. It is not afraid it will push them away as they have Syntec which is priced lower. Edge used to be 10 dollars more than it is now.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Neither for me, but if forced to choose I'd go PP.

Why?

They are really for 2 different things. Castrol Edge is a long OCI oil.

If you run normal OCI's then PP. If you want to run longer OCI's like 7500-15,000 miles then Edge.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They are really for 2 different things. Castrol Edge is a long OCI oil.

If you run normal OCI's then PP. If you want to run longer OCI's like 7500-15,000 miles then Edge.

+1. There is the difference- Edge is said to be good for 15k. I would have tried it in my last oil change, but my local auto shop was running a special with 5 quarts of Extended Performance Mobil 1 and a filter for $30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Both in 5w-30 flavors...

Why is it better?

Castrol EDGE is supposed to be on a higher tier than Castrol Syntec which is why it costs so much. However, there is a $10/$15 Mail In Rebate with EDGE that's going on until 12/15.

I can tell you this though, EDGE 5w-30 barely makes it as a 30 weight.

Castrol EDGE 5w30: 54.17 cSt @ 40c, 9.8 cSt @ 100c
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30: 57.5 cSt @ 40c, 10.3 cSt @ 100c

Both are great, PP isnt a long drain oil.. although in some engines it can do 10k miles.. in others it cant.

Edge is a fairly new formulation and they do have to pay for all those dipstick jimmy ads.

Its susposed to be for long drains upto 15k miles.. and I'm sure it would do 15k miles in perfect driving conditions with the right engine. However who has that?

Here is an answer irrelevant to performance:

Choose base on which oil company you dislike less - Shell or BP.
wink.gif

PP is better oil...it costs a lot less which is deciding factor for me

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

wink.gif

I am kinda irked with SOPUS marketing. 3k OCI even if Synthetic!!??

I would prefer a pre-GF4 additised euro syn. Like Motul x-max or Fuchs Silkolene or Pentosin. Something with a goodly amt of ester in the base mix since PAO cant go it alone. I am afraid of low saps oils.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

wink.gif

I am kinda irked with SOPUS marketing. 3k OCI even if Synthetic!!??

Where do you see that?

Their warranty is for 4k. I've never seen anything saying 3k.

Now Valvoline does the 3k rule.

Bill

Edge is marketed as a premium product, so it is positioned at a higher price point.
Remember, perception is reality.
Many on here would consider GC the better oil, although it is a quite different product.
PP is aimed at capturing a part of the huge market share held by M1. It is a very good product by all accounts, and is priced agressively to lure away longtime M1 users.
Castrol's marketing folks may have been thinking that a higher price would be equated with higher quality in the minds of users.
In the current consumer market, this may be a case of trick no good.
There are market tests that validate this, at least in the case of Scotch whiskey.
Anyway, one has recently had the opportunity to buy either M1, PP, or Edge dirt cheap with MIR, or all three, as I did.
I would, and have used any of these oils.
Is Edge better?
Castrol knows, and they aren't going to tell us in any detail, with any documentation.

Until PP can claim approved for 15,000 mile drain interval, I have to give the nod to Edge, but I still don't care for the fact that it is so thin as pointed out sangyup81. Not much room to shear and stay in 30 wt grade.

I don't know of any real good advertising by oil companies, or really any advertisement... I despise them in general, they target what must be a very low IQ group of people ( I'm sure research shows that to be the general public, but none of it works on me), they do it with comedy (which I despise even more so) or comparison, and best but not least band wagon themes. I guess when they combine oil, with the many medications, I hated the one for genital warts) that will be the all time low.... sorry for the seemliness rant

I don't understand how anyone says PP is superior to Edge ? I'm not very educated at all in this area, however I'm trying to learn, so please point me to, or post what makes PP superior to Edge. I would think Edge being a extended drain oil it would have a more robust add pack, along with other things I'm not sure about. I have run both, and I would choose Edge over PP.

Last edited:
I'm currently using PP in one vehicle, but have 10 qts of 5W30 Edge in my stash. The deals with the rebates and $10 off at AAP were to good to pass up. I have a feeling Egde will be a Bitog Darling in about another year. I just wish they'd stop with the dipstick ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back