Valvoline Durablend 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have chosen Valvoline Durablend 5w30 over Castrol Syntec Blend. It has the SM/CF rateing, with that can I go 4000 to 5000 OCI? Does a CF rateing mean that it has more cleaning ability? Any thoughts? TallPaul what do you think? By the way I have a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado I5 with 6500 miles on the clock.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC, the Durablend is about 65% CAS number for Group II,II+,III. Valvo techs tell me that Durablend is 30% synthetic, so I would guess 30% Group III, 35% Group II, and ? Check out the MSDS at Valvoline.com. I used to use a lot of Durablend 5w30 until about 2003 when I switched to Maxlife 10w30.

So what does the CF rating do for the Durablend?
How dose that rating make it better. I've also noticed that Mobil Clean 5000 is SM/CF rated.
From my understanding, the CF makes it a light duty deisl oil. Is that the only thing the CF does for it? Or can an avereage every day car engine benefit in some way from it?

I know that Valvo products are not popular here, but I used Durablend 5w-30 for four oil changes and was pleased. The stuff quieted my engine's piston slap somewhat. There was one small affectation, however; for some reason, Durablend took awhile to drain back into my oil pan, so if I checked the level immediately after turning off the engine, the level read "low". No other oil has done this for me, so I know that I do not have clogged oil galleries. I suggest that if you find a good price (see Checker and Kragen - all blends are on sale for $1.99), use it!

I really wonder why V products are not popular at BITOG? I've only heard others say that All Climate for instance turns in very good reports if used with a proper OCI for the vehicle.

Ok, then if Valvoline products are not as popular due to price, (speaking of dino only), then why in the name of the all mighty is Castrol GTX dino apprectiated so much more? Heck, it's as much or more than Valvoline All Climate in price. Let's face it, people right here on BITOG has said that Valvoline AC is perfectly fine, does a good job, keeps engines clean and long lasting when used with propper OCI's, so let's put the price aside and try to figure out why it gets bashed so often.

So if the add pack looks weak from the VOA, do you think its possible that the people who produce the stuff know much more about producing a good oil than those of us who think high add packs are what is important?

There was some speculation several months ago that Valvoline uses antimony in their formulations. Most VOA's and UOA's don't test for that element.Since moly and boron don't show up in the published UOA/VOA's someone decided they have "weak" addpacks and that has stuck.

I have a new 05 Ram v6 and was going to run syntec but changed my mind and changed to durablend 5/30 at 4,500 miles.I'm going to run it 4k miles.Then going to synpower 5/30 with wix filter and do 5-6k mile oil change the rest of the time.

Do you think that perhaps many BITOG members are way off and really don't have a clue about motor oil in general? Or, do you think it is really possible to REALLY understand what motor oil is. Let me be the first to admit that I have not a clue. So with that, back to Valvoline All Climate. Val AC "may" be a great motor oil, or just as equally good as all others. Even though it seems to lack additive compared to others, the professionals are the ones who make every formulation with every brand out there. You would have to think that they would know what they are doing, and wouldn't want to risk their reputation by producing some crappy product. The fallout from that could be tremendous. So to all you Valvoline All Climate doubters, I'd be willing to bet money that it's not just a "good" oil; more so, a GREAT oil, just as is Havoline, Pennz, and Castrol. ????? comments???

I use to run Havoline and had very good running engines a frend of mine uses pennz in his work trucks with big block v8's run hard all the time ,no problems at all.I like val and have had the same great service as the other oils.

Dodge1
Nice post. And there you have it folks. All these years of dashing and slashing at other oils, only to find that every single brand out there has served everyone well, (as far as recent history is concerned).
I will say, I would love to hear a story from someonw who recently suffered engine related problems due to oil with a particular brand, and stayed within the manufactureres recommended OCI.

"Do you guys think Durablend is safe for 4000 to 5000 mile OCI?"

Well...the 10w-40 used to carry the A3-rating, good for 7500mi in normal engines, AFAIK. 6000mi should be totally safe.

I'm a former Durablend user. The reason Valvoline products are not terribly popular around here is that generally Valvoline products tend to be more expensive than some of their competitors that get the job done as well or better for less cash. That's the main reason I switched away from Durablend - I could find regualr dino oils that would perform as well for less than the Durablend.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with their products when used under appropraite intervals, and the Maxlife products have turned out some nice numbers.

IMHO, this idea of "weak additive pack" seems a bit misguided.

Who are the majority of the people on this board? Mainly people who are concerned (or obsessed as in my case) with motor oil and car lubrication/care. With the exception of a few on this board who have strong backgrounds in the oil industry, chemists, etc., most of us are just consumers of this product. Albeit, I'll consider a lot of people on this board "above average" consumers but still we're consumers.

I'm with grbr95. These are professionals who are formulating these oils. Some may put more additives to boost a weak base oil. Some may have a strong base oil hence not needing as much additives. VOA/UOA's tell us the additives. They tell us nothing about the base oil. And, in reality, it's the overall package of base oil + additives that matter the most.

I'm with you guys!! Every Valvoline AC UOA that I have looked at shows excellent wear numbers. The real proof of it's quality is in real life experience and mine and many others that I know of have been extremely positive. It's no more over priced than Pennzoil,Castrol or QS and performs as well or better.

Thank you, I'm glad that people agree with me on this point. Although it is opinion on my parts, I just can't help but think that all previous Valvoline All Climate bashing is misguided based on the VOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back