Gumout vs Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumout with Regane's advertising is all about them being better than Lucas. However, Gumout Regane does not act as a
UCL. So are they judging their product based on cleaning power alone? And how important is lubing the upper cylinder?

I went out and bought Regane, but then I read about UCL.

What say ye?

redline sl-1 best of both worlds. Lucas is not an injector cleaner and I can't for the life of me see how they can market in that mannor.

Well, what are you trying to accomplish, fuel system cleaning or a UCL?

Personally, I don't see the need for an UCL in many modern engines. The need for a fuel system cleanear might depend on what gas you get in your area. Here we have E10 mandated, which despite it's drawbacks does keeps things very clean. So I don't really use either. When I do, it's usually Techron.

I happen to think Regane Fuel System Cleaner is an excellent product, readily available at Wally for ~$5. I have a small stash partially because of a gas card promo. So, I'd use it once an oil change.

If I wanted the something for UCL in addition to Regane, though I'm not a frequent user, I'd try some MMO according to their directions. JMO.

Regane vs Lucas, two different products for two different purposes. Regane cleans, Lucas is a UCL that does some light cleaning. If I were going to use Lucas I would run an FI cleaner like RL, Techron, or Regane, then use the Lucas UCL.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
so you can use both at the same time? do i really need a ucl?

I'd use the cleaner for one tank of gas, then switch over to the UCL.

I've lost respect for the Lucas brand as a whole, based on them selling at the very least one of the shoddiest products I've ever come across. Gumout has been around for a long time doing with fuel injection and carburator cleaning additives.

I have found this thread puzzling. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you have a direct fuel injected engine then nothing you add to the fuel can ever lubricate the upper portion of the heads. It enters directly into the cylinder and not through the intake valve. It is burned up during combustion so it cannot help the exhaust side either.

I might not be understanding this right, so feel free to correct me. I can tahe it. LOL

That being said, I have had good results with the Gumout products for maintaining a fuel system cleanliness.

In a typical EFI engine fuel enters the cylinder via the fuel injector. After the fuel is ignited the UCL leaves a thin oil residue on the cylinder walls which is believed to reduce wear, and can increase compression by making a better seal between the rings and the cylinder wall. It won't reach the upper portion of the heads.

Direct Injection is completely different animal than fuel injection, be it port fuel injection or throttle body fuel injection.

The injectors on my BMWs are into the intake manifold and the A/F mix is sucked into cylinder via the intake valve and exhausted out the exhaust. That's Top Cylinder lubing to me.
Just saying is all. I'm a believer, I go through a coupla qts a yr, but the stuff is a little bit magical to me still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back