Marvel Mystery Oil Rocks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your CEL was a coincidence. Many folks are using it in late-model OBD-equipped cars with no issues. The amount of phoporous in the gas from the MMO when properly diluted (per 10g) is tiny and not enough to do any damage.

can you confirm how much is in MMO, my dealer seems pretty sure that's what caused it after they checked it. I cannot get a straight answer from MMO themselves.

Originally Posted By: redraiderfan
After reading here I used MMO as directed in my fuel and my Check engine light came on within 10 miles or so. 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 XFE

I took it to the dealer and they said MMO has Phosphorus in it that will damage 02 sensors and catalytic converters that especially OBD III systems can detect it at too high a level.

I stopped using it and next fuel fill the light went out using FPPLUS from Odis Beaver as recommended by Terry Dyson.

I will NOT use MMO in fuel for a newer car. I dont' think I will use it in the motor oil unless I see UOA that proves it does no harm.

1988 Ford E-150 4.9L original cat converter, saw MMO since day one. In 1990 I hooked it up to an inverse oiler and used that until about 2 months ago when I thought it wasn't metering oil properly. Trust me if it ruined cat converters I'd know from real world not a lab test. 1985 E-150 4.9L sold with 150,000 miles on it original cat converter, and O2 sensor. No issues. 1990 Ford Aerostar 179,000 miles original cat converter and O2 sensor, MMO since 50,000 miles when I bought it.

I think it was a coincidence in your case. But if I were you I'd use something else if you don't like MMO.

Odds are since it was brand new I think there was some other issue that triggered the CEL, not the MMO. Easy for the dealer to blame something, if you mentioned any fuel additive they would have said the same thing. I worked in car sales and was buddies with the guys in the shop, I heard them all.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
should they switch to G36's?

Or one of its offspring. The XM8 was extremely reliable in sandy conditions. Just a bit more improvement on heat shielding and it would have been a great gun.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice bit of History there. It appears the Military didn't think it was snake oil. LOL. Thanks for posting!

Don't put too much faith in what the military chooses to use. They still use M16's and M4's after all.

You know what the funny thing is? I figured some MMO anti would have posted a comment like that, after I replied. :)

When I read it, I thought the exact same thing.

Well I put a heavy dose of MMO in my 77 New Yoker with a semi gunked up thermoquad that would not idle. I had to feather the pedal for about 30 minutes, but after 30 minutes it would idle roughly and after a couple hours it smoothed out. So it does clean out old fuel residue

The ODB II on my wife's grand prix and her oxy sensor are not affected by MMO. I have been putting it in her car for over two years.

My Scion TC has it in it every other tank and so far the only thing I have noticed is that my mileage improved 6 miles a gallon from 28MPG to 34MPG after running it through a tank and punching the numbers. Since I drive the same route on the highway everyday my driving is consistent highway travel on back roads. No ill effects have been seen in my 02 sensor or catalytic converter. I seem to remember MMO saying their product is safe for new cars.

can you confirm how much is in MMO, my dealer seems pretty sure that's what caused it after they checked it. I cannot get a straight answer from MMO themselves.

As was said, I also think the dealer was using this as a convieniant excuse. I've learned over the years with dealers, like a accident scene, never admit to anything or give too much information to give them a way to weasel out of stuff.

"Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?
No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters."

Also a question was just posted regarding phosphorus on their website...
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/300/

Drew is correct in what he's saying. It sometimes amazed me the things my manager would say to a customer, and what the service writer would say, to try and weasle out of something.

After reading here I used MMO as directed in my fuel and my Check engine light came on within 10 miles or so. 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 XFE

I took it to the dealer and they said MMO has Phosphorus in it that will damage 02 sensors and catalytic converters that especially OBD III systems can detect it at too high a level.

I stopped using it and next fuel fill the light went out using FPPLUS from Odis Beaver as recommended by Terry Dyson.

I will NOT use MMO in fuel for a newer car. I dont' think I will use it in the motor oil unless I see UOA that proves it does no harm.

Boy, that really sounds like [censored]
33.gif

OBD can't *detect* the level phosphorous
smirk2.gif
What was your *code*?...You never posted that. It can detect a MALFUNCTION in the Cat or O2 sensors..and if they're damaged, changing the fuel won't help. Besides, like others have mentioned...the level of phosphorous added by the MMO is MINISCULE when you consider the dilution factor.

I am wondering if the Check Engine Light came on because maybe you did not have the gas cap on tight.

If you put in some MMO and then filled your gas tank up I just can't see the dilluted MMO getting to the fuel injectors in 10 miles.

Originally Posted By: c3po

If you put in some MMO and then filled your gas tank up I just can't see the dilluted MMO getting to the fuel injectors in 10 miles.

That's another good point...the AMOUNT of alledged *contamination* could not have occured after TEN MILES ! That would only be a very small fraction of the already diltuted MMO that went into the engine. BOGUS CONCLUSION.

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched the net and it seems if the gas cap is not tightened enough it can trigger a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

I found nothing about MMO or other fuel additives causing a check engine light to come on.

I searched the net and it seems if the gas cap is not tightened enough it can trigger a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

I found nothing about MMO or other fuel additives causing a check engine light to come on.

Loose gas gap will definitely trigger a CEL code. Usually most CELs come on AFTER several engine cycles are run with the problem. They remain *hidden* as *flags* in the ECU (events that go beyond the threholds set by the factory) until they are detected after several cycles, then you get the CEL (light). In most cases, a single *cycle* involves several criteria including turning the engine on when COLD. So...in this case, I'm pretty sure a CEL wouldn't have been triggered 10 miles after adding the MMO just based on what I have stated here. He would have had to start the car up COLD several times. More to the point is from my previous post on the ability of the OBD system to *detect phosphorous in the gas*...especially at the diluted levels and the small quantity of gas that had gone through after 10 miles. Like I said....pure unadulterated...
[censored]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Ronn

Loose gas gap will definitely trigger a CEL code. Usually most CELs come on AFTER several engine cycles are run with the problem. They remain *hidden* as *flags* in the ECU (events that go beyond the threholds set by the factory) until they are detected after several cycles, then you get the CEL (light). In most cases, a single *cycle* involves several criteria including turning the engine on when COLD. So...in this case, I'm pretty sure a CEL wouldn't have been triggered 10 miles after adding the MMO just based on what I have stated here. He would have had to start the car up COLD several times. More to the point is from my previous post on the ability of the OBD system to *detect phosphorous in the gas*...especially at the diluted levels and the small quantity of gas that had gone through after 10 miles. Like I said....pure unadulterated...
[censored]

That also rules out it being a gas cap CEL.

On the recommendation from Demarpaint, the next time I gas up my Marauder which usually takes 14 gallons of gas on a fillup, I will be adding 10 ounces of MMO instead of 5 ounces.

Demarpaint recommends that I do this twice a year and his feeling is that the extra dose of MMO will really help lube and clean things up, he said my engine should run smoother so I will see how things go.

I went ahead and added 10 ounces of MMO on my last fillup.

I have driven about 150 miles so far on this tank of gas, the car runs the same but I have noticed the engine seems quieter.

I may do this again in another 6 months.

I went ahead and added 10 ounces of MMO on my last fillup.

I have driven about 150 miles so far on this tank of gas, the car runs the same but I have noticed the engine seems quieter.

I may do this again in another 6 months.

Stuff is so friggin' cheap..I add 8Oz on every fill up now. I can buy 1 gal for $15.99 at Kragan Auto Parts. I also plan on putting 16oz into crank case 1500 miles prior to every OC.

to: oil guy2 mmo was started in 1923. look at mmo web site. also there is a co "ampco" that has upperoilers. i got a one quart one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back