Difference between Ford M2C925-A and M2C930-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

drr

I'm lucky enough to run one of the new 5L Jaguar V8s which (according to the manual) have only one recommended oil:

Castrol SLX Professional Fuel Saver A1 5W-20 (meeting Ford WSS-M2C925A)

This is extremely difficult to get hold of in the UK, and even the dealer seems to have problems getting top-up sized bottles (in fact any 20 weight oil is unavailable retail here).

I can obtain Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 on ebay, but this meets WSS-M2C930A. Does anyone know the difference between these two specifications? .. and is the Pennzoil suitable for top-ups?

Thanks in advance for any input.

If I had to guess its probably some spec that makes sure the oil isnt a thin 5w20 at 6cst, with proper additives to hold up better.
also

Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
Mobil 1 EP 5W20 meets the M2C925-A spec as well....

is simply not true as far as I can tell.

M1EP 5w20 is SUITABLE for use in vehicles recommending that spec. Mobil doesnt even list it as meets or exceeds.. its listed specifically as "suitable" whatever that means. So in other words this is one of the plays on words that oil companies use.. "recommended for" etc

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp

51408174.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
sorry, it's "suitable" for that application, geeze

I wasnt bashing on you I was bashing the oil companies who do this doubletalk.

suitable is the same as recommended for.

in other words.. they think its good enough it wasnt submitted for testing for that spec.

Its one of my rant topics sorry :)

Last edited:
Boy, it's hard to find info on Castrol's SLX oil. I suspect it's closely related to Edge.

re: the dealer. Yeah, me too. It's been 'temporarily' unavailable for months, and I just feel better with a top-up bottle in the trunk just in case.

The M1 EP doesn't seem to be obtainable here. There are loads of different M1 synthetics available, but none 5w-20.

Oh well, I'd better harass the dealer some more.

Will your warranty be void if you use anything but SLX? If not than there are many oils that would perform similarly or better that could be ordered and delivered right to your door.

5W-20 is as common as hen's teeth in the UK. Why Jaguar went ahead and recommended that oil weight is beyond me. The Ford WSS-M2C925-A specification applies to Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles and I do not have much info on it, I'm afraid.

However, two years ago I was importing an American Ford (Mercury Grand Marquis) into the UK, and did quite a bit of research on some Ford oil specifications. Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A is basically Ford's brand name for the ILSAC GF-4 specification. ILSAC oils carry the API Service Symbol on their packaging, along with the Energy Conserving mark. However, ILSAC GF-4 is also a difficult oil spec to find in the UK. The most commonly available Ford specification in the UK tends to be WSS-M2C913-B, which is a Ford brand name for the ILSAC GF-3 specification, and again is no good for your Jaguar.

I would write to Jaguar and ask them what they would consider 'alternatives'. That way, if your warranty is at risk, you have an official letter from Jaguar backing up any alternative products you may use. Just make sure it is a letter sent by post, and not an email.

Last edited:
Here is something from the Jaguar Sales Training Newsletter:

Originally Posted By: Newsletter
Jaguar and Castrol - two legendary English companies - have teamed up to develop a new 5W-20 synthetic motor oil which enables the AJ-V8 Gen III 5.0L engine to achieve high horsepower and torque without impacting fuel economy. Previously oil changes were required every 10,000 miles. Now that has been extended to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. The new oil, Castrol Professional FuelSaver SLX A1 5W-20, is exclusive to and must be used in the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines.

Benefits of this new oil include:

· Stable viscosity for sustainable performance
· Improved engine cleanliness and engine protection
· Better ability to compensate for various driving styles

There are several features your new Jaguar customers should know about:

· The new Castrol oil, SLX Professional 5W-20, is the only oil recommended for the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines
· A service reminder in the Message Center lets the driver know when it's time to change oil
· Service Interval is every 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. It's important that your customers visit your Jaguar dealership yearly for annual service
· The first scheduled maintenance service visit is Complimentary
· Maintenance Interval Message automatically appears when it's time for service
· Checking the oil level is simple using the built-in "digital dipstick" on the car's onboard computer. The new engine does not have a traditional dipstick

The Jaguar/Castrol co-engineered 5.0L engine 5W-20 synthetic motor oil is the only lubricant completely tested to be compatible with Jaguar’s new engine components and other fluids and sealants. No substitutions should be made as the warranty coverage requires the use of the proper Jaguar specified lubricant.

Source

Same problem here. Have 2012 XF Portfolio with 5.0 Jaguar V8 and they are VERY specific about using WSS M2C925-A rated oil.
I'll tell you what I found. ALL the "over the counter" including Mobil 1's "suitable for use in" meet A1/B1
. The ONLY oil I have found to date that meets A1/B1 AND A5/B5 (It's High performance equivalent} is the Castrol SLX Professional OE sold at the dealership meeting WSS M2C925-A.
In my book, I own and drive a "high performance" automobile. To date I have been using the dealer oil changes at 5K intervals despite their 15K recommendation (are you kidding me? 15K)
Only have 15K to date, so as long as I am warranty, for now, I have no choice (the way I see it) but to stick to the dealer recommendation and oil. for now... or until some other brand I can trust actually MEETS WSS M2C925-A which includes A5/B5 which in my book might be a bit more "robust" than a1/B1.
My 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Jaguar and Castrol - The new oil, Castrol Professional FuelSaver SLX A1 5W-20, is exclusive to and must be used in the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines.

Source

So there is a European high performance 5W-20. Why the h-ll wasn't I made aware of this?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Newsletter said:
Jaguar and Castrol - The new oil, Castrol Professional FuelSaver SLX A1 5W-20, is exclusive to and must be used in the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines.

Source

X 2 from another Jaguar XF 5.0 Protfolio Owner who just discovered all this... and BTW, this oil has a special fluorescent dye in it. My dealership claims, if anything goes wrong , if it is determined that THAT SPECIFIC 925-A oils wasn't used, your WARRANTY is VOID. Thought I would share.

So are they saying that this particular Castrol oil is the only oil that can be used? If so, Jaguar needs to provide it for free. Or does it not work this way in Europe?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So are they saying that this particular Castrol oil is the only oil that can be used? If so, Jaguar needs to provide it for free. Or does it not work this way in Europe?

You can choose an independent garage to do service work on your car without voiding warranty, but you have to use the correct oil, even if it's only one supplier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I wasnt bashing on you I was bashing the oil companies who do this doubletalk. Its one of my rant topics sorry
smile.gif

No worries, mate...it's one of my favourite rants, too. I always ask myself: "suitable for" in WHOSE opinion?

Originally Posted By: BritGerCarLuvr

In my book, I own and drive a "high performance" automobile. To date I have been using the dealer oil changes at 5K intervals despite their 15K recommendation (are you kidding me? 15K)

The 15K mi OCI recommendation is likely because of the oil specified, changing at 5K mi would likely allow about any 5W-20 be used... Of course you'll never hear that from the mfgr, part of the selling is the ability to use 15K mi OCI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back