Compressor Oil vrs HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a great dual tank air Mastercraft air compressor, it is not oil less, it is a piston cast model with 12 ounces compressor oil needed in sump.

It calls for 10-30 Compressor oil, I am thinking 0-30 XD3 SYN HDEO for possible cold starts and heavy duty protection.

What is the difference between 10-30 compressor oil and HDEO, can I use the HDEO?

Cyprs

Most would say motor is a no no but the company I worked for used Delo 30 in their compressors in the service vans and the compressors would be taken out of the vans when they were taken out of service and put into the new vans. I have in my compressor G.C. green 0w-30 for the last 4 years and it works

Especially since it asks for a "10w30" oil I would think you should be just fine with an engine oil. A lot of compressors just specify 30W ND oil, but people use engine oil anyway. A lot of other compressor manufacturers recommend Mobil 1 10w30, but I'm sure Mobil paid them to say that - any good brand of 10w30 should work the same.

I've been using cheap Havoline 5w30 synthetic in my cheap HF compressors since I had some extra...seems to work pretty good.

thanks guys, I think the 10-30 grade required rather than 30 grade may apply because of our cold northern climate, the compressor is made for Canadian Tire distribution in our northern climate where compressors will be used in cold conditions, that is my assumption.

I see this single cast piston system as the top of a gas motor, I agree with you that a motor oil should apply here.
I will be using this compressor in -40F at times so I figured why not have a 0-30 HDEO with -60F pour point and high 12.2 CST @ 100C for start up protection and warm temp operation.

My only concern is warrantee issue, this compressor has full replacement 3 year warrantee, this is my main concern as to whether there is any huge factor between the two oils which may void warrantee.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
My only concern is warrantee issue, this compressor has full replacement 3 year warrantee, this is my main concern as to whether there is any huge factor between the two oils which may void warrantee.

Just make sure you drain the oil and/or fill with the recommended stuff before you bring it in for warantee work.
56.gif
I definately don't think there's anything in any 10w30 oil that would actually cause damage that could void the warrantee...

And you're right, a small engine and an air compressor are basically the same thing, minus the combustion heat and byproducts. I have built an air compressor out of an old Briggs and Stratton engine...and I've seen a heavy cast iron twin cylinder compressor turned into an engine too!
lol.gif

If warrantee issues ever do arise I will do that S. Monkey, good tip.

thanks Steve S. and S.Monkey,

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back