SuperTech brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperTech brake fluid?

Has any one heard of any problems with Wal-marts SuperTrch brake fluid?

I'm sure it's a fine product that meets the spec. Make sure you buy the right Dot classification for your vehicle and you'll be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I'm sure it's a fine product that meets the spec. Make sure you buy the right Dot classification for your vehicle and you'll be good to go.

+1

I haven't used ST brake fluid, but I would have it had been in stock the last time I flushed my brakes.

Is there that much difference in DOT 3 brake fluid brands?

No, the difference in how much the fluid exceeds the minimum spec. The DOT3 spec calls for the fluid to boil at no less than 401°F when dry and 284°F when it contains 3% water. DOT4 specs are 446° & 311°. Better brake fluids have a boiling point higher than the minimum allowed.

Quote:
Is there that much difference in DOT 3 brake fluid brands?
For example, the Ford DOT3 brake fluid is a favorite among amateur racers...it is cheap and has a very high dry boiling point. Its wet boiling point is right at the spec. For racers that change their brake fluid very often, it is great. For the rest of us who do not change the fluid often (or ever), it is nothing special.

I have three jugs of it in the garage. I have used it on several vehicles and no problems. I use a turkey baster and suck out the old fluid once or twice a year to keep it fairly fresh.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I have three jugs of it in the garage. I have used it on several vehicles and no problems. I use a turkey baster and suck out the old fluid once or twice a year to keep it fairly fresh.

Not to get off topic but that doesn't really do anything for your brake system. The fluid doesn't move throughout the system.

badtic - You are dead wrong. The fluid moves a lot.
As I have noted before, a number of cars have been 'fixed' with turkey baster flushes. Going from jet black to amber after a few weeks of treatment. And wheel cylinder problems were fixed.
It mixes due to movement and heat. Sure, not as good as a flush, But it does work and help.
Moisture and dirt are removed, boiling point goes up, wear goes down. Parts can get freed up, and ABS can work better, as they are sensitive to debris.
Who wold not want clean brake fluid?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
badtic - You are dead wrong. The fluid moves a lot.
As I have noted before, a number of cars have been 'fixed' with turkey baster flushes. Going from jet black to amber after a few weeks of treatment. And wheel cylinder problems were fixed.
It mixes due to movement and heat. Sure, not as good as a flush, But it does work and help.
Moisture and dirt are removed, boiling point goes up, wear goes down. Parts can get freed up, and ABS can work better, as they are sensitive to debris.
Who wold not want clean brake fluid?

Clean brake fluid is great. That method does nothing to get clean fluid to the rest of the system.

I'd rather not use it, because I have seen how little time is needed to turn it foul.

However, it will work just fine if you replace it often enough.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Clean brake fluid is great. That method does nothing to get clean fluid to the rest of the system.

Like mechtech2 stated, after a few treatments, the fluid color goes from dark brown to the normal golden brake fluid color. Can't be doing any harm... But whatever...

By both experience and reasoning, I have found that brake fluid does indeed mix in the system.
There is a lot of movement.

Imperfect? Yes. Helpful? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back