Single Stage, 4-cycle snowblower? Air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Crafstmen single stage snow blower with a 4.0hp Brigs engine. This is my first time doing some maintenance on it. I changed the oil, cleaned the plugs and noticed.. there's no air filter!?!?!? Or is it hidden??? Is this common?

I've never seen a snowblower with an air cleaner element. I guess the reason behind it is; An air cleaner could ice over and choke out the engine and there's very little dust/dirt in the winter air.

Joel

Neither my current Toro single-stage 2-cycle, nor our old Toro 2-stage 4-cycle had an air filter. Like the others, I suspect the fact that we're not kicking up dirt and dust (unless we go into the grass...oops) is why.

Same here- no air filters on the Airens 4 stroke or Toro 2 stroke
That Toro rocks by the way,-much easier using it for snows < 6 inches than dragging out the Airens

Steve

Snowblowers, even the high end commercial units, don't have air cleaners.
Cause more trouble than it's worth.
Since snowblowers are seasonal use units, Sta-bil is highly recommended.
Maybe a shot of carb cleaner at the beginning of the snow season.

I have a Honda 9hp 28" blower. No filter either.

E-mailed Honda and aked why?

They said that the air filter and it's enclosure would keep the air too cold and promote stalling in sub-zero temperatures.

That's why snowblowers have a "box" around the muffler/car. to pre-heat the air and facilitate proper operation ever under the coldest situations and with snow blowing back at the machine it helps vaporize the moisture or it might freeze in the carb and ruin your day.

Cold air can be dirty too if you hit dirt or gravel. I do know of some who retrofit an aircleaner from a version of the same engine with a "summer set-up".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back