Think I broke my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
One night I was drinking with the guys after a rough shift on the rigs. anyway, my buddy told me about bitog and some threads about the 20 wt Ford wants in their trucks. My new F-150 was due for its first oil change, so we dumped the thin factory stuff and put in some 50 wt cause it gets real hot down here in Mississippi and mine is a work truck. Well it started and ran for a short bit then heard a louder and louder knock. We shut it off but now we got an engine light and it won't turn over for anything. Anyway, we dumped the 50 wt and put in the 5w20 Ford wants but still won't turn-over. I'm going to take it in to the dealer, think they'll know about the 50 wt for the warranty?

don't ever take advice from a drunk buddy who took advice from some internet post from someone in australia named overkill? that runs the 50wt in these Fords without problem. Sure messed mine up real bad.

I cant imagine the 50 weight wrecked your engine.

A friend of mine ran 20w50 in his high mileage honda without issue.

It may have an oil pressure sensor that cuts the engine. Who knows with modern electronics.....I just dont think its toast. I might be wrong though.

The dealer may not be able to know that the 50 weight was used, as they'll probably check what it in the tank right now. Fessing up, might help them diagnose the problem though. I would find the crankshaft pully, and try and turn it over with a wrench. If it moves freely, at least you know its not seized.

Never a problem with running the 50 wt in my other truck. Think there is a reset somewhere on these trucks? The lights come on the dash but its like its locked out by the computer or something.

bubba is what my buddies call me. We work on oil rigs out in the gulf. I always get dirty from the crude, so my work buddies yell "hey bubba likes oil" come over here instead using my name. Not meant to be funny.

"don't ever take advice from a drunk buddy who took advice from some internet post from someone in australia named overkill"

OVERKILL is from canada, EH!

Originally Posted By: BubbaLikesOil
Never a problem with running the 50 wt in my other truck. Think there is a reset somewhere on these trucks? The lights come on the dash but its like its locked out by the computer or something.

Just out of curiosity, why would you run 50wt?

Reset? If the motor was siezed, you would still hear the starter try to engage the flywheel.

What exactly is it doing?

Well, 50 weight at 70 degrees is way thinner than 20 weight oil at 0 degrees. So something else is probably going on with your truck.

Still, 50 weight is a bit much for an engine that calls for 20...

Last edited:
My buddy said the 50 wt would give extra protection. I put the key in the dash lights come on but no starter. no click sound or nothing just won't turn over at all. They don't make them to where you can fix'em any more. You got to take it the dealer because of the computer. just don't know what to do. I'm gonna try taking the battery off terminal off to see if it resets somehting.

Was it a "knocking" sound or a lound ticking sound. My truck makes ticking sound on the first start when it is cold outside, but then goes away after 5 minutes or when the oil is warmed up. Probably the VCT. I live in Texas and it is upper 30's here now. I don't think you should put 20w50 this time of year or in the F150. Stick to the 5w20.

I could believe that a 50wt oil could damage one of the tight clearance Modular V8s. But sounds to me like your battery might be dead. Try to jump it.

50 grade oil is not a good idea in that engine, even so it would not have destroyed the engine. Could be a bad battery or starter, computer, or a number of other things. Drain the 50 grade oil put the suggested 5W20 back in and bring it to the dealer.

ok, removing the cable from the battery reset something she running now. but now there is a little clacking sound and the alarm keeps going off for no reason. don't think i remember the clacking sound. Turns out we put my buddies oil last night from his deisel (delvac) not the 20 wt. Should still okay?

Go out and buy some Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5W-20, and a Purolator filter, do a complete change. That should help it out. If it continues to make noise, take it to a dealer and ask them to DIAGNOSE the problem, not to fix it unless it is a task you are not willing to undertake yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back