Where to Set Your Jackstands if Pinch Welds Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the serviice manual they show those side floor/pinch weld parts that you can see the metal sticking out. Civic was on a 2-pole lift earlier and worked fine, as the lift had a flat foot on all 4, and they have 4 plates sticking out the pinch weld.

My jackstands are the 6 ton type but have that sort of U shaped axle type support. Where can I set these to safely support the car and how do I do it. I think if I put them on those weld spots, the weld spots wouldn't touch because of the U shape.

Would it be completely dangerous to dry and make some type of cylinder elongated rubber things to stick between the pinch welds and the support in the jackstand? Hockey Pucks?

even if there is a decent flat load-bearing spot, sometimes I still put a 2x4 under to protect the undercoating.

If a 2X4 (or anything for that matter) splits could the car slip off the jackstand and crush me? Maybe it would be better to find some scrap metal?

I picked up a set of rubber jack stand pads from Harbor Freight for the same reason. The 2x4 idea isn't bad either.

95952.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95952

I use blocks of wood on my pinches if I need to. Some cars have way nicer jacking points. Mine isn't so good in the front of the car, the rear, easy as pie though.

I think you are suppose to place the jack stand U-channel perpenduicular to the pinch weld so that it will always rest down in the jackstand u-channel. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking about. It still might slighlty bend/indent your pinch welds if everything isn't level but it's not really causing much harm. I'd be carful sticking anything between the jackstand and the pinchweld contact point. those blocks in the other posts might be OK. Maybe you need smaller jackstands with a shallower u-channel?

Sometimes you can put the jackstands under the front crossmember if it is a jacking point, but consult your manual.

Last edited:
Using a 2x4 is a bad idea in my opinion. The best thing to do is google the proper support points of your vehicle and even then take the info under advisement.

I use hardwood 1/2" x 1 1/2 and cut to the length of jack stand pad. I got a lot of this size lengths from my brother. I have not found anything that works better.

I have a feeling the rubber/plastic jack stand pads might cut through on a pinch weld. The 2x4 works well in certain situations. Certainly beats sharp jack points denting the body. Hardwood works very well on the pinch weld no scratches and does not dent it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back