Fuel injector cleaner. How often too use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a blazer that has a tendency to get plugged up injectors after a few years. GM has a updated fuel spider that changes the system to MFI. My question is how often should you run fuel injector cleaner. Would it hurt to run it every other fill up? Is once an oil change good enough. I generally never use additives so im not real sure here. Can you run the stuff too much?

I'd use a good FI cleaner every 6 months. Something I was a little lax on with one of my fleet and I'm getting twisted with it now.

An alternative is to run a very mild additive with each fillup. As stated, check the Fuel additive section, and try a search for FP+. Has worked great for me for over 100k miles in an environment where fuel quality is not consistently good.
They use to be a site sponsor, LCD I think is their corporate name.

What I've done with Schaeffers Soy additive is run it as often as I remember and at an initial clean of 1 to 250. After the system is cleaned out I run it at 1 to 2000.

MMO or Lucas UCL @ each fill. Wal-Mart has Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for around $13.00 a gallon. Mix rate recommend is 4 oz per 10 gallons of fuel.

I like to use fuel system cleaner at the end of every OCI. Run the tank down to close to E. Pour in your favorite fuel system cleaner and fuel up. Run the tank close to empty again. Change oil and continue living your life.

If your car has a problem, twice a year with a good cleaner in the gas tank should be enough. A strong version of Chevron Techron is a wise choice.
Get it clean, then keep it clean.
Use MMO in the fuel @ 4 ounces /10 gal gas . Lots of benefits besides helping to keeping things clean.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If your car has a problem, twice a year with a good cleaner in the gas tank should be enough. A strong version of Chevron Techron is a wise choice.
Get it clean, then keep it clean.
Use MMO in the fuel @ 4 ounces /10 gal gas . Lots of benefits besides helping to keeping things clean.

+1 some solid good advise!

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I like to use fuel system cleaner at the end of every OCI. Run the tank down to close to E. Pour in your favorite fuel system cleaner and fuel up. Run the tank close to empty again. Change oil and continue living your life.

Thats exactly what I do, using Red line SI-1

I put a bottle in the tank whenever I go on a long trip knowing that there will be a lot of high speed driving.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I put a bottle in the tank whenever I go on a long trip knowing that there will be a lot of high speed driving.

That sounds like a good idea!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Malo83

That sounds like a good idea!

My father did the same thing. Typically before vacation he'd fill the gas tank and we'd head to the Adirondacks, it was about a 4 hour ride and he'd run the tank way down. He didn't worry to much about how it worked out with an oil change, there were times where he'd change the oil just before or just after the trip. I don't think it made much difference, his engines were in great shape and lasted a very long time.

I've been using Volkswagen/Audi Fuel Additive(part#ZVW239003) about once a month for the past 11yrs. The stuff has been around for many years and is fairly inexpensive. It's a low dose(8oz), continuous use formula that can be used in higher concentration for intensive cleaning. My Volvo had semi-clogged injectors when I bought it(@72k miles) which gave a sporatic rough idle. I ran one bottle/tank through 4 successive fill-ups and the injectors became totally clean. I've resealed them several times over the years. Each time, I shine a flashlight into the open injector ports and can see the light reflected back off of the top of intake valves.

Thanks guy, I bought a gallon of MMO for 6 dollars at a flea market last summer. I'll use that up. From the sound of it, it wont hurt to use it as much as you want too. Thats what i was worried about, i didnt want to cause harm by running cleaner too often

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Thanks guy, I bought a gallon of MMO for 6 dollars at a flea market last summer. I'll use that up. From the sound of it, it wont hurt to use it as much as you want too. Thats what i was worried about, i didnt want to cause harm by running cleaner too often

MMO is not a fuel system cleaner per-say, it is a UCL that does some cleaning. The best way to use MMO or any UCL for that matter is to treat the engine to a good fuel system cleaning first. Something like Red Line FI Cleaner, Techron, Amsoil PI, or Regane. Then treat the gas with MMO at the suggested rate of 4 oz/10 gallons of gas at each tankful for best results. At that point the MMO will keep things clean and work as a UCL. HTH

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
An alternative is to run a very mild additive with each fillup. As stated, check the Fuel additive section, and try a search for FP+. Has worked great for me for over 100k miles in an environment where fuel quality is not consistently good.
They use to be a site sponsor, LCD I think is their corporate name.

I do exactly the same (although with FP60). I don't believe any solvent can do a good job by adding one bottle here and there; it needs to be a continuous steady cleaning in every tank. After a few months it has never idled smoother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back