NPN, Full, and Denso Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a lot of these filters on Amazon for a good price and was wondering if anybody has any info about them. Also if you have pictures of these filters cut open can you post them.

P.S. These filters are being applied on a 02 Acura MDX.

AFAIK,NPN is WorldPac's house brand - I know Denso makes their fuel filters on Toyota apps. Denso oil filters are more or less the same as Toyota's 90915-YZZxx series of filters.

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
I just bought a lot of these filters on Amazon for a good price and was wondering if anybody has any info about them. Also if you have pictures of these filters cut open can you post them.

P.S. These filters are being applied on a 02 Acura MDX.

I ran some tests on the Toyota branded Densos and they are a pretty decent filter.
DensoWix.jpg

There is an exploded diagram on their website.

NPN are the same as Nippon, both are Union Sangyo off shoots(made in malaysia or far east under Union's supervision and design.) I used these on a Nissan, there are threads on them, and pictures and websites. Denso is different as shown above, and even better IMO. Full appears to be another Asian copy of something, people have said they are good, and probably are, but for me enough Asia already.

The Denso you show is made in Thailand. I get them from Japan and they are very special. Take alook at this comparison:

Denso Comparison

Japan Made:
dsc00392_small.jpg

Thailand (US Version from dealers here):

dsc00391_small.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ronn
The Denso you show is made in Thailand.

Ya. They say Thailand right on them IIRC. That's the model the dealers around here sell. I can get TRDs from Japan or USA if I request them, but they take a day or two to come in.

Those Japan Densos you get, I've seen them before and they look kind of cool, but I've never used them. Talk about depth media.

If you want to send a spare I'll run some filtration comparisons on it.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
The Denso you show is made in Thailand.

Ya. They say Thailand right on them IIRC. That's the model the dealers around here sell. I can get TRDs from Japan or USA if I request them, but they take a day or two to come in.

Those Japan Densos you get, I've seen them before and they look kind of cool, but I've never used them. Talk about depth media.

If you want to send a spare I'll run some filtration comparisons on it.

I pay around $15 each
shocked2.gif
in this one size from a dealer in So Ca. It's about 1/4 longer than my stock application (around 3 1/2" long). If you're interested, let me know.

My actual pics:

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

The Denso you show is made in Thailand. I get them from Japan and they are very special. Take alook at this comparison:

Thailand (US Version from dealers here):

dsc00391_small.jpg

So why does the Denso you show above have metal end caps and silicone ADBV and the one below has the sealed pleats and black nitrile ADBV?

DensoWix.jpg

river_rat - did you ever do any "air peculation testing" on the Denso like shown in the photo below? If so, did you see any air bubbles escaping out of the ends of the pleats where they are glued together?

DensoWix.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
river_rat - did you ever do any "air peculation testing" on the Denso like shown in the photo below? If so, did you see any air bubbles escaping out of the ends of the pleats where they are glued together?

Ya I have. Nothing significant--maybe one or two little bubbles.
They are quite well sealed at the ends of three 90915-YZZD1's I examined this way...better than most vertical seams on endcapped filters.

BTW, I've seen leak-size bubbles come from the vertical seams on almost all filters but seems not to affect filtration unless it's bubbling fairly hard.

I pay around $15 each
shocked2.gif
in this one size from a dealer in So Ca. It's about 1/4 longer than my stock application (around 3 1/2" long). If you're interested, let me know.

Thanks, but I don't know what the bypass setting is so I think I'll stick with ones I know.
thumbsup2.gif

Got these today:

TRDside.jpg

TRDbase.jpg

Nice ... looks like a K&N variant. Might have to get one of the TRDs next time. The dealer you get these from is just down the road a ways from me ... bought my Taco there. I'm assuming they must have them in stock if they are UPS-ing out of the dealership.

I;m assuming they must have them in stock if they are UPS-ing out of the dealership.

Ya. I ordered from a parts place online, but the tracking number showed they were shipped from that specific dealership.

Only difference from a Royal Purple filter I can see is the round gasket.
sidebyside.jpg

Nice - what was the cost on those TRD filters?
$8.41 each. Not bad.
... they even retained the purple ADBV.
lol.gif

Well actually it's blue. But it looks purple in the picture.

Let me know if it looks like the K&N Powersports Filter pictured here:

Not quite. Similar though. The TRD has a threaded end bypass.
I'm sure it's built by Champion Labs in their premium line like the K&Ns.

Nice - what was the cost on those TRD filters?
$8.41 each. Not bad.
... they even retained the purple ADBV.
lol.gif

Well actually it's blue. But it looks purple in the picture.

Let me know if it looks like the K&N Powersports Filter pictured here:

Not quite. Similar though. The TRD has a threaded end bypass.
I'm sure it's built by Champion Labs in their premium line like the K&Ns.

Here is original TRD Filter. I tried to order this recently..no dice. The only one now available is the K&N Clone.

ORIGINAL TRD FILTER

TRD High Performance Oil Filters are available for virtually all Toyota and Scion models and are designed to protect vital internal engine parts in challenging driving situations. Their heavy-gauge steel mounting plate reduces flexing during high RPM operation, and a double-locking seal increases reliability in high-pressure applications. A silicone anti-drain valve stays flexible at extreme temperatures and eliminates the dry start wear by retaining oil after engine shutdown. Arch-pleated, low restriction internal filter media lets the engine pump more oil, helping to protect vital engine components. TRD High Performance Filters don’t just protect better, they protect longer: their high-quality filter media holds up to 45% more dirt, metal particles and contaminants than other leading brands.

High Performance Oil Filter (PTR04-00000-13)

276429%20filter.gif

Last I knew, the red "Sport Filter" was 50% @ 20 micron filter, so maybe you want the 98% @ 20 micron clone anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back