Amsoil HDD 5w-30 at 46K; '05 Dmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the test back with my Amsoil 5w30 3000 oil.

iron 64 slightly high
chromium 1
nickel 0
alum 5
copper 30
lead 18
tin 3
cadmium 0
silicon 19
sodium 7
potassium 7
molybdenum 2
boron 1
magnsium 31 Flagged as adnormally high but not serious
calcium 3624
phosphorous 1110
zinc 1402
fuel. .4%
soot .4%
water .1%
vis@100c 12.8
tbn 3.8
oxida 14
nitra 20

I just thought I would write in to let anyone interested know. Imho this shows we change oil way too often. I always thought it was [censored] so I decided to prove it to myself. I have about 5qts. of oil added in 46k mi. and changed the Amsoil filters 3 times @ 0 mi.,@ 18k, 33k. Has anyone ever gone this long without a bypass? Just wondering is this was pushing it. Later, ihookem.

soot

Last edited by a moderator:
For 64K miles, I am impressed with the nitration and oxidation numbers. My numbers are not that low with 5k oci's. Awesome oil for your car.

You are placing too much faith in UOA. I would not have gone that far on the oil. Thanks for sharing.

That's great! It's interesting the soot is only 0.4% in an EGR motor and you still have 3.8 TBN left.
The Mg may have been there from the beginning, it is often used along with Ca as the cation for alkalinizing detergents; although this looks like a CI4+ oil because of the high Ca and Zn/P content.
I think the high quality of the UOA has as much to do with the engine as the oil.
Regarding the Fe level, Mercedes gives 200ppm Fe as the condemnation level for oil in my Unimog engine.

Charlie

Fe & Mg are problematic with the latter approaching serious. I really would love too see your oil pan and valve covers for sludge level indicators. I would also venture to guess the possibility of higher than normal deposits. This engine would be a great study example if we can gather more data. If cost and tear down was not an issue I would be curious to see the condition of your main and cam bearings. Finally, my gut instinct would argue you would be a prime candidate for an AutoRX (ARX) cycle. I think extreme intervals such as yours would warrant ARX and LC type product maintenance dosing along with upgraded bypass filtration and mid-cycle UOA. Terry Dyson would be an ideal reference and analyst in these applications. As he once told me you can have good spectroscopic wear data while your engine gradually turns to mud. I also believe few highway tractor trailer fleet operators would adhere to this service cycle.

TBN depletion was offset via the approximate 1qt/9k mile additive replenishment via lubricant top offs. I concur with Billy as there is more to this in UOA's alone however invaluable their data is.

Last edited:
First of all Mg is native and actually somewhat low, not high. Should be 30-60 ppm. Where do you guys get your information?

Fe at ~1.4 ppm per 1K is not out of line for this engine.

Is this high Fe? LINK or this Link 2

Where do you guys get your information?

The rest some kind of strange diatribe for cleaning the engine of sludge.

Where do you guys get your information?

I don't want to say people are biased - but to use words like extreme and guess together....well there you are.

Dieseltech, outrun has some good points. I would like to know just how clean my engine is. How are the engines when you tear it apart? Every story I ever heard was the engine was very clean with Amsoil. I am not too nervous about it but you have a point, how well does oil clean when it's this old?

Those numbers are great for the miles. However, I would love to see inside that engine.

Engine holds ~10 quarts. He did change filters three times which, with some level of consumption took 5 quarts. TBN = 3.8. Viscosity went from virgin 11.7 to pure tar at 12.8
lol.gif

I too wish there were pictures of the insides of ihookem1's engine, just to show him he doesn't have to worry.

Why is this UOA in Gas UOA's?

"First of all Mg is native and actually somewhat low, not high.

The rest some kind of strange diatribe for cleaning the engine of sludge."

Points I & II on Fe & Mg I can let slide. Although the Mg levels were stated by Blackstone not me. That is unless the original poster added that phrase. Vice versa I do not ever see Blackstone commenting that a routing wear additive element is too high.

On the schmenatics of "extreme" I stand and will vehemently disagree with you in this limited instance. This is not a fleet application. There is no modified filtration or inter-service period UOA schedules here. The oil was in service well after any OEM or even European "normed" suggested interval. Amsoil alone advertises 25,000 intervals (under UOA advisement). Extreme in this context ... I can not even fairly use beyond the far side of a bell curve in this example.

On sludge I also hold my ground. You of all people are aware of cleanliness issues in engines run with the finest synthetic oils under modest and overly conservative service intervals alone. Ring pack cleanliness issues are not negated by syn use either. Unless the OP honestly dictates otherwise we have to assume this was a street and severe service application. I can not subpoena photos of his engine internals. However, I can not buy a blanket notion that engine cleanliness is a mute point in this example. My use of "guess" and "extreme" stand.

As a disclaimer I have no bias against extended lubricant service intervals or Amsoil. There are too many people who may read this and follow the OP's footsteps resulting in costly conditions.

At least you can admit you are wrong.

Then you add another wrong.
33.gif
Not sure where you got the 25K thing, but we are talking about a diesel here.

Quote:
HDD
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) is recommended for extended drain intervals in engines that are unmodified and in good operating condition.

Diesel Engine Service

* Three times (3X) OEM* recommendation, not to exceed 50,000 miles/600 hours or one year, whichever comes first. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

Now I might agree with your points if we were looking at a spark engine UOA. Sludge is the word you used - with no proof, just a guess, now you bring up the ring pack - and make another silly statement "Ring pack cleanliness issues are not negated by syn use either" - they most certainly ARE. Synthetic oils greatly reduce gunk on rings. Honestly this is one of the best points of using synthetic oil. I'm not hassling you for sport - it's just you keep making claims and using strong words and recommending cleaning products - with ZERO proof or actual evidence.

I will agree with you on your last sentence - no one should a) never go blindly into any extended UOA and b) no one should ever confuse a diesel engine extended drain with a gasoline engine extended drain.

Originally Posted By: ihookem1
Dieseltech, outrun has some good points. I would like to know just how clean my engine is. How are the engines when you tear it apart? Every story I ever heard was the engine was very clean with Amsoil. I am not too nervous about it but you have a point, how well does oil clean when it's this old?

Hookem, These guys that are running the extreme intervals all haul cars for a large auto auction out here. I have only had the chance to pull a head on 1 of them and it was EXTREMELY clean. We installed oilguard systems on each truck and use EAO filters on them.

I have another customer with an 97 PSD that has gone 70K on his and he has a moving company that hauls across the US. Extended intervals on PSD are not something I reccomend but the truck now has 675K on it with only 1 set of injectors being swaped at 380k. We installed an amsoil system on it running EAO26 and EABP100. I use ALOT of synthetic oil as it's the only option in my shop. I am VERY impressed with AME,HDD, and redline products. Most of my customers are highend either performance or people that use their rigs to put food on their tables.

Most of my normal daily driven customer practice 10k OCI, and most tuned 6.0 still have great UOA after 10k with either line of products.

I don't think it's a big issue. I would run a bypass myself if this becomes something you want to push out again, or further out.

Cutting the last filter will tell you something.......

I had a guy with an Amsoil bypass go a few years and maybe 30K with AME. He was an older guy, the guy that wanted to buy it was concerned about the oil not being changed for years. I said it's probably OK, but let's do a UOA. We did and it was not bad, silicon was elavated. I think he had a K&N filt. It was a hopped up Dodge Cummins.

I agree with Pablo. Mercedes allows 100,000km OCI (62Kmi) for all the oils on the below list; 160,000km (97Kmi) with bypass filters:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...ent_action=show

These are for 12L engines w/~40L pans that burn ~16,000 gal/97Kmi, or 400 US gal/L.
For a Duramax pickup's oil to be this highly specifically loaded, it would have had to have burned 3800 gal fuel, IOW have gone ~75Kmi. If you take the non bypass scenario, 45Kmi sounds in the ballpark.
Pablo, how does his oil compare with a Grp. III ACEA E4/MB228.5 oil?

Charlie
centrifuge,EGR delete

Hi,
Pablo - A Poster said this:
"Ring pack cleanliness issues are not negated by syn use either"

Pablo - You responded with this "- they most certainly ARE. Synthetic oils greatly reduce gunk on rings."

Can you provide any constructive evidence that two similar specification lubricants - one a synthetic and the other a mineral - where your comments can be quantified?

IMHE two such PCMOs or HDEOs meeting similar specs would perform at almost the same levels of ring pack cleanliness! I have certainly not seen ring pack deposits negated by a synthetic lubricant (in a general sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back