How long before wash/polish/wax for NEW paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am sure some of you might have seen my thread about wifey's Elantra getting hit by deer...

Elantra is back from the shop, repaired, and with new paint on a fender, and 2 doors on pass. side...it still smells of paint ...
the newly painted areas look great and shiny, and "old" areas still look good, too..not much different from new areas, as I kept it maintained with washes and Klasse AIO.

It has been about 3-4 days since we got the car back.
Can we already wash the car and put some Klasse AIO on it?

or should one wait longer to let the newly painted areas to "cure" etc ...?

I am just going to wash and put 2 coats of Klasse AIO on it ...
Thanks...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
So, I am sure some of you might have seen my thread about wifey's Elantra getting hit by deer...

Elantra is back from the shop, repaired, and with new paint on a fender, and 2 doors on pass. side...it still smells of paint ...
the newly painted areas look great and shiny, and "old" areas still look good, too..not much different from new areas, as I kept it maintained with washes and Klasse AIO.

It has been about 3-4 days since we got the car back.
Can we already wash the car and put some Klasse AIO on it?

or should one wait longer to let the newly painted areas to "cure" etc ...?

I am just going to wash and put 2 coats of Klasse AIO on it ...
Thanks...

I just got my truck back for fixing a dent that was on the roof when I bought it and they told me 3 months!

Call the body shop and see what they say.

Ask the shop. I just had a TL repainted. They used base/5coats clear. Painter said I can wash in a week and polish and was in about a month.

OK guys; thanks a lot. I guess I will wait about a month then ...
will also call the shop. (I has asked wifey to ask them when she picked the car up, but she forgot)

It's been a while since I needed to have body work done, but the last time the shop told me to wait at least 60 days before waxing.

Washing for the first couple of weeks was just supposed to be a rinse with clear water and then I could start hand-washing, I think after 30 days. That, I thought was a little over-kill, but since I didn't have any problems with the paint, I guess it worked.

Check the build date on your interior door sill... chances are it's already a few months old and good to go.

Originally Posted By: zulu
Check the build date on your interior door sill... chances are it's already a few months old and good to go.

Huh?

Different products have different cure times. I had a van repainted years ago on the cheap, it was a work van and all I cared about was it looking nice. Anyway they used an enamel paint with no clear coat, and suggested I wait at least 60 days and use wax that contained no cleaners.

Better paints with clear coats are another animal. But again different products, and different mfgs have different cure times. I'd ask the guy that did the work, before I applied any wax or polish.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: zulu

Huh?

He must be assuming your car was new...

polish is different than wax....most polishes are "paint-shop safe' because they have no wax. washing can start soon after the new paint.. but the real issue is using a wax too soon. any car i have had painted, i was told to wait 3 mos. zaino can be used immediately, but what they are really telling you to avoid is silicone. some of the "waxes" out there supposedly have silicone... I have hear that silicone is extremely penetrating and very hard to get rid of when prepping for paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back