Royal purple synchromax vs. pennzoil synchromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using pennzoil synchromesh in my nv3500 manual transmission, but I would like to use a synthetic. I am thinking of using the RP but don't know if its worth the cost. Anybody used both? I am really looking for a smoother shifting oil with better cold shifting abilities.

thanks, Q.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Amsoil Synchromesh is better than the 2, Pennzoil would be my second.

Your proof is?

I have used pennz and amsoil provided the best shifting out of the 2. I had the similar hard cold shifting with pennzoil and replaced it with amsoil and the shifting is smooth as silk.

as far as I am aware the RP stuff shears to garbage in a transmission

Last edited:
I replaced the stock Castrol Syntorq in my 2005 Dodge Viper with Royal Purple Synchromax. This is in a T56 6 speed behind a 550HP V10.

No problems here.

Have Pennzoil Synchromesh in my 2004 532HP Mustang Cobra and no problems in that vehicle either. It is also equipped with a T56 6 speed manual.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the pennzoil synchromesh. I have been using it for 10,000 miles and it is just as good as when I put it in. It just doesn't seem to like the cold, especially when shifting 1-2 and 2-3. I am just curious if it's worth changing to a synthetic mainly for this reason. If there is no difference I will probably stick to the pennzoil. RP is in the stores here that is the main reason I picked this particular synthetic.

Some people such as Amsoil reccomend Synchromesh in the T56 but it is thicker than the Dextron 3 reccomended by GM for the T56. Since the internals are the same on the various T56's I'd stick with an ATF for them. I've had my best shifting with B&M synthetic trick shift in my T56. For other transmissions I'd buy Amsoil over the RP on price alone. RP is overpriced.

Last edited:
I found that RP was dreadful in my Toyota manual transmission it lost it's cold shift properties in about 10K miles. As far as wear metal is concerned it seemed to work just great at preventing abnormal wear but who cares about that when you have to fight to shift gears int he cold? I have not tried Amsoils lasted products so I willnot pas judgement on it. I can say this when I worked for GM I worked with a lot of Corvette nuts!!! I was one of if not the first guys to recomend 50/50 MTL/MT90 to some 10th level executives for their poor shifting Corvettes based on my experince with Toyota MR2's and notchy shifting. THis combo grossly out performed GM's syncromesh which was made at the time by Texaco. Pensoil Syncromesh is cheap and affordable but beyound that I never say where it was any better then the Synchromesh Texaco made for GM.

In the past having tried M1,Amsoil,Redline,Royal Purple Swepco,Cenpeco,Schaffer's I have come to the point that the only gear lube I will buy for any manual transmission I own is Redline products.They have time and time again proven themselfs to be better in the field then anything else I have tried. Shift feel is really important to me and so is cold weather performance. Any lube should be able to prevent abnormal wear but cold performance and shift feel is something most companies miss the bus on!

Now with that said on a transfercase or differential I am not at all brand loyal. I am only loyal to Redline with regard to what I put in a manual transmission and it is not for any other reason then what I mentioned above and that is performance.

That is exactly what I am looking for... an oil that will smooth shifting, especially on a 10-20 degree morning. The pennzoil has done great in most instances. When the vehicle is warm, although sometimes a double clutch is needed to get first or reverse after idling at a light or backing into a parking spot. I think I will look at redline and amsoil and try one or both. I just wish they were as readily available as the RP.

thanks for the replies and feel free to add any info. Q

I have a NV manual in my Jeep. I use the Amsoil Syncromesh product and LOVE it. It works so good I won't even consider using anything else.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
50/50 MTL/MT90

That's precisely what I'm going to use in my Unimog when I return from my RTW trip using Delvac Trans Oil 50 (for hotter places).

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back