Here comes Google Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/releasing-chromium-os-open-source.html

Quote:
The Chrome OS replaces the traditional software stack on computers with a more lightweight one, all made possible because it can only run web applications. Instead of going from BIOS to kernel, services, start-up applications, and eventually the browser, Chrome OS will cut a lot of stuff out, ending up with just the BIOS, a streamlined Linux kernel, and the Chrome web browser.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Microsoft's biggest fear has always been something like this working out.

I'm not so sure about that, relating to Chrome OS specifically: After all, Chrome OS is basically *just* a browser on top of a Linux kernel using 100% web-based "apps". It's one thing to get the OS working reliably; it's another all together to get the web working properly! When I think of all the times Google's services have gone AWOL for a morning here or a few hours there, and compound that with the myriad applications "in the cloud" that run on a platform *not* as reliable as Google, I think this whole Chrome OS business may be relegated pretty quickly to the world of netbooks and libraries. I don't see corporate USA or any serious home users looking at this any time soon. :^)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Microsoft's biggest fear has always been something like this working out.

I'm not so sure about that, relating to Chrome OS specifically: After all, Chrome OS is basically *just* a browser on top of a Linux kernel using 100% web-based "apps". It's one thing to get the OS working reliably; it's another all together to get the web working properly! When I think of all the times Google's services have gone AWOL for a morning here or a few hours there, and compound that with the myriad applications "in the cloud" that run on a platform *not* as reliable as Google, I think this whole Chrome OS business may be relegated pretty quickly to the world of netbooks and libraries. :^)

You're not so sure about something like this working out? Neither is anyone on the face of the earth.

I said Microsoft's biggest fear would be if something like this were to work out.

I'm not impressed. You could put it on a thin-client and call it a web terminal but other than that it's not very useful. And it's brought to you from the king of all data miners.

No thanks

I said Microsoft's biggest fear would be if something like this were to work out.

Oh, I see - *all* the words in your post were important! :^)

Originally Posted By: xlt4me
I'm not impressed. You could put it on a thin-client and call it a web terminal but other than that it's not very useful. And it's brought to you from the king of all data miners.

No thanks

I've already seen some buzz on the Ubuntu forums discussing a "Webuntu" spin, with a stripped-down kernel and Firefox as the only user space app.

Oh, I see - *all* the words in your post were important! :^)

Yes! It's OK. These things happen.

Originally Posted By: xlt4me

No thanks

True, but many of the machines out there are overpowered, overkill just to run a thin client. If ARM, nVidia, etc are able to pull one off they would really be able to fly with this idea. The Windows sales will go down by a lot.

Everyone was caught by surprised on how well Netbook sell.

hum.. a pc/netbook type that uses 10watts of power with a 20watt LED LCD monitor.. I could see a market for that.

I'd hope it was at least a dual core atom though.. I hate lag.

8gb ssd.. 1gb memory

if the os was light enough it should run good.

its not like you are trying to run windows 3.11 on a 386sx 20mhz with 2MB ram.

Last edited:
I've already seen some buzz on the Ubuntu forums discussing a "Webuntu" spin, with a stripped-down kernel and Firefox as the only user space app.
There is browserlinux already, based on Puppy. http://www.browserlinux.com/

And you can even make Windows to look like it with Windows SteadyState. It's not "stripped" down for speed but you can make it only one browser/software desktop machine.

These are great for public machines.

I was not aware that Chrome OS was based somewhat on Ubuntu... I had heard that Google uses Ubuntu a lot in-house, and of course their whole network runs on a modded kernel, but this struck me as interesting:

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/19/canonical-profiting-from-google-chrome-os/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+(Works+With+U)

Being that minimal, they couldn't have just used Debian instead?!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Where's the download link for it?

It is my understanding, as of this writing, that you must compile it from source. Google is recommending Ubuntu Karmic as a prerequisite to do this.

I have also seen VM images floating around here and there.

Pundit Paul Thurrott wrote this today. Interesting.

Google Aims Squarely at the Heart of Windows with Chrome OS
On Thursday, Google formally introduced its forthcoming Chrome OS to the world at a special event in Silicon Valley. The stripped-down, browser-based OS will ship a year from now on netbook computers and, as previously promised, will be based on the Chrome web browser. What's most interesting about Chrome OS is that it's a direct attack on Windows. The only healthy segment of the PC market right now is netbooks, and Microsoft had raised prices on its netbook offering, Windows 7 Starter, in an effort to squeeze a bit more cash out of what has historically been something of a financial wash. But Chrome OS will be free. It will replace—not work alongside—Windows. It's completely cloud-based, boots in under 7 seconds, and uses encryption to ensure the safety of user data. I think this just might be the future. And although I'll be writing more about this over the weekend, the important thing to remember is that Google isn't pussyfooting around its desire to remove Microsoft from the picture. When you combine this offering with the company's web-based applications and services, business-oriented email and PIM offerings, and smart phone solution, you see the complete picture: Google intends to replace Microsoft. It has the smarts and the cash to do it. This is a wake-up call. Microsoft, please answer the phone.

Pundit Paul Thurrott wrote this today. Interesting.

Google Aims Squarely at the Heart of Windows with Chrome OS...

What I find interesting is how far Thurrott has his head up a dark place. Linux has made great strides toward user friendliness and available apps in the past few years. But just because it's free and improved doesn't mean everyone will flock to it. Even if Linux was technically superior to Windows, it's still doesn't have the same mainstream support as Windows. Apparently he doesn't remember the VHS vs BETA lesson. If a bazillion full brown versions of FREE Linux doesn't supplant Windows then Chrome won't either. Interesting, he makes no mention of replacing the Mac....

I smell a Windows / Gates hater here.

Paul is a BIG Microsoft fan. He also isn't afraid to tell MS they're off-base.

I agree with Paul, give away Windows Starter edition to compete with Google in this market space.

Paul is a BIG Microsoft fan. He also isn't afraid to tell MS they're off-base.

I agree with Paul, give away Windows Starter edition to compete with Google in this market space.

I'll take your word for it. I'm not familiar with him. I think if MS wanted to compete in that paradigm, they could offer terminal services to cheap thin clients. You would have no virus issues and the OS and apps would always be up to date.

But I don't see that happening with the current Internet bandwidth. It's ironic that we are in some ways moving BACK toward centralized computing. We're taking the "P" out of PC.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
True, but many of the machines out there are overpowered, overkill just to run a thin client.

It seems WAY overkill for corporate worstations each to have their own powerful PC for many of their daily tasks. For those that require CAD et al apps, let them have their quad-cores (that will sound mighty dated one day). But power savings will be a big driver for corporate thin clients IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back