2001 toyota tacoma dex III fluid brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand/type dex III fluid are you using in a 01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 automatic transmission? I was using black bottle Castrol Dex III then switched to Valvoline Max life DexIII.I have noticed sometime when first starting off usually parked over night on a slight hill it takes a little time for the truck to move.

Sounds like the fluid level may be a little low.
I'd take it for a quick ride at least 3 miles, then park on a level surface, and check the fluid with the engine running.
It should be between the 2 "Hot" marks.

If it's not, then just adjust the fluid level as necessary to get it between those marks after a 3 mile road test.

Toyota transmissions are sensitive to the fluid level in my experience. Even over filling makes them do so weird things.

One time I over filled my Camry by a 1/4 quart, and it shifted very hard. I drained it, and filled it to the correct level, and it has been perfect ever since.

However I have noticed that on a cold start on a slight incline it takes it a second to engage into gear. (this only happens in drive. Reverse engages right away.) Like what you are describing. How many miles on your Tacoma ?

I just figured mine was doing this because it's getting old.
After all it does have 251k.

The Toyota Aisin automatics are very picky about fluid level. Get the fluid nice and hot (this can take a while) before measuring.

I run Amsoil ATF in my 1998 Land Cruiser which runs a similar transmission. When I switched it over there was a lot of improvement in cold weather performance that was especially noticeable right after start up.

When we had a Toyota that called for Dex - a 1983 Cressida, I've fed it Chevron Dex III.

It usually takes 2-2.25 quarts on most Toyota RWD trannies for a drain and fill - what I do is fill up the tranny with 2 quarts, start the engine and row through the gears and adjust the level until it is in the COLD range of the dipstick. Then I take the car for a freeway run to get the tranny nice and hot, and then I would row through the gears and check the HOT level. This method never failed me.

Nope. The O/D OFF switch is just there to disable the 3-4 shift solenoid or mechanism. The goal when checking your ATF is to get the tranny nice and HOT.

I recently took the pan off my 2000 Tacoma,cleaned the filter & replaced the fluid. I just replaced it with Super Tech from Wal-Mart, of the appropriate type II or III? I don't remember seeing a Wal-Mart oil refinery? I don't know who but one of the big boy's just produces the ATF fluid & put's their(WM) name on it. When it comes to oil & gasoline I feel it's more the same than different, of the same types.

ST is Warren Performance Products which does a lot of private label bottling. There's only a handful of companies that make ATF add packs too - Lubrizol and Afton/Ethyl come to mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back