2010 Fusion V6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
I would like to get your opinion on a couple of questions I have. First I picked up a 2010 Ford Fusion with the 3.0 v6, recommended oil is 5w-20. I'm trying to decided between Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec, both are priced similarly and readily available. As I'm not familiar with 5w-20 any comments or recommendations are welcome.

Regards,
Scott

Congrats on a really nice car.
If it were mine I'd use Motorcraft 5w20 which is available for
$11.50 for the 5 qt. jug at WM. Pennzoil YB is the same price and also excellent. I wouldn't pay extra for M1 unless I was going to extend my OCI.

Originally Posted By: Scott1
Hi Everyone,
I would like to get your opinion on a couple of questions I have. First I picked up a 2010 Ford Fusion with the 3.0 v6, recommended oil is 5w-20. I'm trying to decided between Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec, both are priced similarly and readily available. As I'm not familiar with 5w-20 any comments or recommendations are welcome.

I have the 3.0 v6 in my mazda6s, and started using synthetic oil at about 5k mi. I use M1 0w20 in my car with good results. The Duratec seems to love the thin oil. Runs smooth, and even feels a little peppier. With the $10 rebate, it cost me $12 for the 5 qt. container in Walmart.
I do agree that a good starter oil is the Motorcraft, until switch to syn.

I would use Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft filters also.
Change every 3/5000 until your warranty is over.
Motorcraft is a very very good oil. And will save you some money over the others.
The new Fusions are one great car, enjoy!

Guys one more question if you don't mind. In the summer would you recommend swithcing from 5w-20 to 5w-30, again I have no experience with this oil and am a little nervious about running a the 5w-20 in the summer heat.

Thanks

Nope - just use the 5W-20 or 0W-20 year-round. Modern 5W-20's are excellent oils, and will protect in ALL temperatures.

Switching grades for different seasons is a very, very 'old' idea!

+1 for Motorcraft oils/filters at OEM recommended intervals.

Ford hit a home run with Motorcraft...

I'm a long time user of M1 and it has always worked great in all my Fords including the two I now have.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. Any quality dino or syn w/ a fresh filter changed at reasonable intervals will protect the engine for 150K+ miles. The 3.0l Duratec is pretty much bullet- proof. 0w20/5w20 with a Motorcraft filter is fine. If you want to use 0w30/5w30 in the summer, that's OK too, but it's not the "reccomended" oil grade.

Current set of Ford motors seem to go 200K+ easily and CLEANLY on 5W-20 with 5000K oil changes. No issues really in that regard.

Want to use M1 or Synteq for the extra piece of mind then by all means. Could also get Motorcraft Synthetic too.

As for the 5W-30 in summer, this is FORD what 'Ya think'n?????? LOL!!! Seen 5W-20 stand up to 5+ years of towing on 5K intervals and stean have CLEAN heads and clearly visible crosshatch all the way around in the cylinders. Yup seen it in both 8's and 10's.

I have pretty much the same engine. I was resistant to using both 5W20 and Motorcraft, since I figured it was a conspiracy on Ford's part to sell me their oil and to beat the CAFE standards.

Both of the above may be true! That said, after pouring through UOA's on this site and reading about the oil, I ended up deciding on MC 5W20 and MC filters (because of the bypass valve location, primarily).

I used that until 70K or so, no oil burning, PCV system is clean and it's running great. I switched to the almost-free Pennzoil Platinum with the rebates, but as long as I'm under warranty, I'll probably go back to the MC5W20 since I have to change it every 5K.

Your mandated interval is actually 7.5K, I believe. That said, unless you're doing severe service, based on the UOA's I've seen the Motorcraft oil should go to 7.5K without a problem.

The only real advantage that I see to a Group III/IV synthetic is a longer drain interval--and since you're under warranty that's really not an issue. For the manufacturer's OCI, I don't seen a more expensive oil offering any addition protection to the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott1
am a little nervious about running a the 5w-20 in the summer heat.
Dude, that is SO last week...

Seriously, the initial fears of 5W-20 being "too thin" were proven baseless a long time ago. MC 5W-20 is FTW in any* Ford motor in any climate.

*= any motor where 5W-20 is officially spec'd.

MC would be fine, but since you only have to change every 6 mo/7500 mi, the extra $10 for Synthetic (M1, PP, etc.) shouldn't hurt your wallet too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back