Bulk filters at O'Reilley's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at O'Reilley's a few mins ago and was told they have bulk filters by the case made by Wix for $20. They will not sell individually, only by the case of 12.

I just bought 4 filters from AA last night and two were $1.99 each and two were $2.49 each. Told the OR guy and he said yeah, you can buy their PowerFlo's individually but as I found out some are higher than others. OR's bulk filters are all one price. If they carry it in bulk it's $1.67 each no matter what number.

Wix for $1.67? That sounds like a great deal. My local Kragen (turning O'Reilly) has a filter that they sell in the "pro" shop area for that price...made in China.

now keep in mind just cuz some guy behind the counter at an auto parts store said its made my WIX, does not necessarly mean that it is indeed, made my WIX

$6-7 vs $1.67..... i'd do some research

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
now keep in mind just cuz some guy behind the counter at an auto parts store said its made my WIX, does not necessarly mean that it is indeed, made my WIX

or the same quality as an actual Wix

Originally Posted By: rastoma
Was at O'Reilley's a few mins ago and was told they have bulk filters by the case made by Wix for $20. They will not sell individually, only by the case of 12.

It would be interesting to see the guts of one of these super cheaply priced filters.

Does O'Rileys sell Wix brand filters? YES
Does Wix sell bulk pack filters? Yes, We call them Master Packs. They have no individual boxes, just shrink wrapped.
Can O'Rileys sell masterpacks. YES
That's all I have to say about that.
Check a carton and see if it is marked as a Wix Master Pack (MP).

I'd be happy to buy a case and cut one open if a few people wanna chip in on it :)

I know $20 ain't much for most, but I just work part time so thus why trying to find a good price on filters, but have a hard time to justify buying 2 years worth of them.

The guy here at this local O said he had 14 different numbers I believe. They don't don't push them to individuals. I asked specifically if they had something like that. He said they stock them for garages and quick oil change shops, etc.

I asked could I buy a half and half case (two different filters in one case) and he said no. The case itself has one part number for the whole case, which wouldn't allow it to be broken.

Maybe I'll break down and get a case anyway. I plan on doing 3-4k OCI because of constant stop and go driving my Blazer gets... almost 500 stops delivering mail, about 40 are walking that I can get several at a time, but the rest are individual mail boxes. So the engine runs hotter than normal.

So what's the best way to cut one open? Hacksaw?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday

The guy I spoke with is an assistant manager and I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff. He used to manage a local Napa (that I believe owned by family of his). I know that doesn't guarantee anything though.....

I'm gonna go by tomorrow and see if I can look at the case and and an individual filter is possible.

By the way, if this is for real, who is going to buy anything else for a keeper if you can do WIX $20/12? Should thin out the oil filter discussions here.

Originally Posted By: labman
Likely the hacksaw is the best way to cut ONE open. Many addicts buy filter cutters.

Best way is a filter cutter, much cleaner cut.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Wix for $1.67? That sounds like a great deal. My local Kragen (turning O'Reilly) has a filter that they sell in the "pro" shop area for that price...made in China.

Is that a WIX made in china? I have Kragen up here and if I could get WIX for under $2 I would, unless they are made outside North America.

The guy here at this local O said he had 14 different numbers I believe. They don't don't push them to individuals. I asked specifically if they had something like that. He said they stock them for garages and quick oil change shops, etc.

I don't know specifically about O'reilly's or these oil filters, but you know what sucks? I think parts stores like AZ and NAPA sell parts up to 50% off to shops. I doubt shops are being charged 87 cents for these filters, but maybe you are getting them at shop prices? It makes you wonder just how cheap the auto parts stores get some of these parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I don't know specifically about O'reilly's or these oil filters, but you know what sucks? I think parts stores like AZ and NAPA sell parts up to 50% off to shops. I doubt shops are being charged 87 cents for these filters, but maybe you are getting them at shop prices? It makes you wonder just how cheap the auto parts stores get some of these parts.
Shops get about 20% off parts. We do not get any discount on spark plugs, oil or antifreeze.

My son's outfit gets no major outright discount on filters from NAPA. The ProSelect is $2.27. They get a rebate for the volume of parts they push through their account on some monthly or quarterly basis.

Ok... went to the O again today. Talked to same guy as before and got more information.

They are shrink wrapped individually in a box. I seriously have a problem with short-term memory so I have already forgotten the name that was on the filter. But I asked again if he was sure they were Wix and he said yes and pointed to the address on the filter and said that's the same address on a Wix branded filter. Also when he scans the item # in the computer, the item description calls it a Wix filter too.. hmmm....

BUT, he then elaborated. He said they are not as good as Wix branded filters. They have less pleats in the media. And what he called the top cap inside the filter is cardboard instead of metal like on a Wix branded filter.

He got one for me and it felt a lot heavier than it looked. Seemed to be very well made from an external inspection.

He said that if the filter called for a check valve (or maybe he said by-pass valve) then it would have it. He compared it to a Fram. I told him I have been reading bad things about Fram's lately and he said yeah, he didn't like Fram either LOL

So.... guess it's not a super and exciting find then
frown.gif

I guess the PowerFlo's from AA will be better than these at O for a cheap but OK filter.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
They're probably like the cheaper NAPA filters that are made by Wix (proselect, NASCAR)

So do you think they are any good? Would they actually be better than Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back