BEST oil for Cummins Dogde 5.9L......????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if a 5.9 ever had the DPF-I think that's a 6.7-only thing-with the now universal use of ULSD, CJ-4 seems to be doing almost as well as CI-4+. I don't know about anybody else, but my '06 5.9 turns the oil black INSTANTLY from soot, I don't run enough miles to use UOAs, I only run around 5K a year on that truck.

One thing to keep in mind is that CJ4 oils handle soot better than CI oils...one of their qualities that make up the formulation.
If soot is an issue, of course.

" ... I only run around 5K a year on that truck."

I'm right there with you. I only ran 6k miles last year on my Dmax.

All the more reason to choose a quality dino oil, a decent filter, and OCI once a year. Zero sense in spending more for PAOs and high-end filtration if that's all you're going to do. You won't see any appreciable gain in wear reduction, and therefore your ROI is terrible by using top end products for short OCIs.

In your area, any of the 15w-40 quality brand name dino's would do. I'd choose the one that happens to be on sale when you walk in. You won't be doing UOAs; there's no need for consistency of readings to mandate a single brand/grade.

Your Cummins will run fine, and your wallet will thank you.

IMO, that is the "best oil" plan for you.

all right! Thanks for all the replies! And after reading a lot about the topic, and the posts above, I made up my mind...:

I'll probably just stay w/ my VPB 10w-40 and change it after 5-6k...like I did the whole time. And I am using a LF16035 oil filter...

And she has no DPF...

I will start montioring it by doing UOA's... I will change the oil tomorrow.

thx for all the help again!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure if a 5.9 ever had the DPF-I think that's a 6.7-only thing-with the now universal use of ULSD, CJ-4 seems to be doing almost as well as CI-4+. I don't know about anybody else, but my '06 5.9 turns the oil black INSTANTLY from soot, I don't run enough miles to use UOAs, I only run around 5K a year on that truck.

Yup, no DPF on the 5.9...which is why I chose the 5.9 on my 2007 even though the 2007.5 models with the 6.7 were on the dealer's lot.

My truck also turns the oil black instantly. From what I read on the Cummins forums, that's typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back