Marvel Mystery Oil instead of Stabil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the FAQ section of the MMO website if says you can use MMO as a fuel stabilzer. It says 4oz per 10 gallons of fuel. This the same amount to run normally in fuel.

I wonder if they have the same basic formula and if vehicles run better because the fuel stays fresher and because it cleans?

Last edited:
You need an anti-oxident and anti-bacterial to keep fuel good for any length of time. MMO can not turn bad gasoline in to good let alone grossly extend the time one can store fuel. MMO is decent for what it is but lets not get carried away and try to make it do everything!Nothing I hate more then when people try to make a product sound like the Messiahs in a bottle!That is what snake oil peddlers do lets just let MMO be MMO and not try to make it do all things!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
MMO can not turn bad gasoline in to good let alone grossly extend the time one can store fuel. MMO is decent for what it is but lets not get carried away and try to make it do everything!Nothing I hate more then when people try to make a product sound like the Messiahs in a bottle!That is what snake oil peddlers do lets just let MMO be MMO andnot try to make it do all things!

You got my full vote on that, John!

Unfortunately, that's what I'm seeing on various BITOG sections lately...

**No wonder we NA industrialised/automobile society is so behind in terms of technical learning progress, even in the most basic scientific way....gosh! snake oils and garbage addons rule here on this continent***

Q.

Stabil contains significant quantities of hindered phenol anti-oxidants that are sacrificial anti-oxidants. These are consumed until depleted, keeping the oxygen from attacking double bonds, etc in the fuel molecules. MMO does contain, I think, some non-hindered phenolic but this is not really a good anti-oxidant as the phenol can also act as an acid and its anion as a nucleophilic attck agent . Stick with Stabil for keeping gasoline fresh in storage and use MMO for an UCL, cleaning material.

Stabil is for preserving gasoline, MMO has some very slight benefit. As Boomer said use Stabil for gasoline storage, and MMO for a UCL and engine cleaner.

Just wondered as that is what MMO's FAQ section said.

Anyone got a new MSDS on Stabil?

From looking at old ones Stabil had 90% Naphthenic Hydrocarbons to MMO's 70-80 %. Stabil has a "proprietary" ingredient at 5%. Maybe the antioxidants you mention?

However I see no mention on their website of these antioxidants.

Last edited:
Stabil also says to use 1 oz per 2 1/2 gallons (4 oz per 10 gallons) just like MMO.

I have requested a MSDS from Gold Eagle about Stabil and asked them about the antioxidants.

I recall in an email to the MMO people they said that MMO was not a Stabilizer like Stabil is, but as demarpaint said it would help keep fuel fresh for a little while, but not a year. Ifyou are worried about gas going bad add stabil, I think their marine formula is even better than plain stabil.

Just got the latest MSDS from Gold Eagle. Stabil is 95% a Naptha type chemical and 5 % unknown chemical.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
MMO can not turn bad gasoline in to good let alone grossly extend the time one can store fuel. MMO is decent for what it is but lets not get carried away and try to make it do everything!Nothing I hate more then when people try to make a product sound like the Messiahs in a bottle!That is what snake oil peddlers do lets just let MMO be MMO andnot try to make it do all things!

You got my full vote on that, John!

Unfortunately, that's what I'm seeing on various BITOG sections lately...

**No wonder we NA industrialised/automobile society is so behind in terms of technical learning progress, even in the most basic scientific way....gosh! snake oils and garbage addons rule here on this continent***

Q.

I agree with both of you.

However, Carol Shelby might be disappointed with us. That ZMax snake oil he peddles is the cure all for everything mechanical. As much as I admire and respect much of his accomplishments, I think he should be ashamed of himself.

Must be desperate for money....

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Just got the latest MSDS from Gold Eagle. Stabil is 95% a Naptha type chemical and 5 % unknown chemical.

Maybe that's why I've never had fuel problems besides water and never used a drop of Stabil either?

Somehow I doubt 5% of anything in a few ounce dose to many gallons of gasoline would have any noticeable effect at all...(how miniscule is 5% of the recommended stabil dose?)

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I recall in an email to the MMO people they said that MMO was not a Stabilizer like Stabil is, but as demarpaint said it would help keep fuel fresh for a little while, but not a year. Ifyou are worried about gas going bad add stabil, I think their marine formula is even better than plain stabil.

I second that.
I use MMO in my fuel at the recommended 4 oz/10gal level every off season for my motorcycle. Has always cranked and started within 20-30 sec every spring but the fuel does age and needs to be freshened. The MMO helps but it is not a long-term gasoline stabilizer and isn't intended as one. If a longer period than 3 months was required I would use Stabil.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy2
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

I second that.
I use MMO in my fuel at the recommended 4 oz/10gal level every off season for my motorcycle. Has always cranked and started within 20-30 sec every spring but the fuel does age and needs to be freshened. The MMO helps but it is not a long-term gasoline stabilizer and isn't intended as one. If a longer period than 3 months was required I would use Stabil.

Exactly, stabil is a better product for keeping gas fresh for a longer period of time than MMO. They're two different products for two different purposes.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

Somehow I doubt 5% of anything in a few ounce dose to many gallons of gasoline would have any noticeable effect at all...(how miniscule is 5% of the recommended stabil dose?)

It could have quite an effect. Fuel oxidation is a self-catalysing free radical process, so dampening the amount of free radicals can have a big effect on fuel oxidation.

The only a few percent of the raw gasoline is capable of being oxidised to begin with.

Also the oil soluble anti-oxidants have a unique trick of being stable enough to ignore random atmospheric oxygen, while being able to absorb oxygen free radicals.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

It could have quite an effect. Fuel oxidation is a self-catalysing free radical process, so dampening the amount of free radicals can have a big effect on fuel oxidation.

The only a few percent of the raw gasoline is capable of being oxidised to begin with.

Also the oil soluble anti-oxidants have a unique trick of being stable enough to ignore random atmospheric oxygen, while being able to absorb oxygen free radicals.

Free radicals! When did they get out?

Beam me up Scotty......

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Stabil is for preserving gasoline, MMO has some very slight benefit. As Boomer said use Stabil for gasoline storage, and MMO for a UCL and engine cleaner.

Exactly. Rich Kelly, MMO Technical Director, has addressed this on the MMO forum stating that while MMO has some preservation capabilities, not to the degree of Stabil.

He also stated that both can be used together as there is no competing chemistries.

Originally Posted By: Fat Man
What about Seafoam? Is it as effective as Stabil in the fuel preservation role?

Can't say for sure. Never did an A-B comparison and don't have the chemistry lab to do an analysis.

I do know that Stabil will deteriorate on it's own if left sitting on a shelf in the garage. Something about a stabilizer becoming unstable doesn't sit right with me. I switched to SeaFoam years ago and haven't looked back.

I know that Seafoam has proved to me that it works on cleaning carbon from engines and help clean varnish from carbs. I use it as a stabilizer and after sitting for up to six months over winter, the fuel seems fine in the spring.

Personally, I doubt that fuel stored in an air tight container for long periods in cold temperatures doesn't break down that much. During the winter, ice roads are pushed through the bush to access northern communities. That's how they get most of their diesel fuel and gasoline to last them the year. I have bush pilot buddies that fly up to the Arctic in the summer. They arrange to have Beaver float planes set off 45 gallon drums of that same fuel (not necessarily AvGas either) at various cache points along their route. That fuel can be up to seven or more months old. So, either the fuel is pre-stabilized by the oil companies or more likely, just doesn't need it. Regardless, these guys flew that way for many years and never had a fuel quality/contamination issue.

before E-10 came along I never had an issue storing 5 gal cans of regular gas. Now, it's use Stabil or tear the carb apart in the Spring-sometimes both. Last Spring took the carb off the 8hp Briggs and it looked like clear jelly in the bowl-even when trying to run it dry before storage

Steve

Same here. NEVER had gas go bad until E10. Now I use stabill in all my gas cans.

I had some E10 fuel go bad in six weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back