How often do you replace spark plug wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
If the engine is working and not throwing any codes that could be traced back to the wires, I leave enough alone.

+1

My 240k miles '94 LS400 has OEM wires.
My 107k miles '00 E430 has OEM wires.

I got to kind of agree with Bill. I run the originals wires as long as possible. When I change plugs I will inspect the wires for damage and maybe check their resistance, but if they check out good I run them. The originals wires usually have the nifty numbering for each cylinder that even OEM replacements won't have.

However, if I have convential copper core plugs that aren't platinum or iridium, I like to replace them around 30K and the cap and rotor too as these are wearing parts.

Anybody here ever see the old school solid copper core wires wrapped in rubber and then braided fibreglass?

Try finding OEM replacements for THOSE at Autozone
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Anybody here ever see the old school solid copper core wires wrapped in rubber and then braided fibreglass?

wink.gif

Don't think they are legal for road use (Radio interference) but still available for 'Off Road' and sold by the foot.
Will literally out-last the car.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

wink.gif

Don't think they are legal for road use (Radio interference) but still available for 'Off Road' and sold by the foot.
Will literally out-last the car.

Yup. Standard equipment on all our old boat engines. I remember the first time we had to make a new set for our 18' Chris.

Luckily the engine swap in the 22' (312) meant that we could just run standard FMS wires....

150,000 miles on mine on '03 GMC Sierra 5.3L.

No problems at all, could've left them on MUCH longer, but changed 'em.

I replaced mine at 60K and the car ran noticeably better. I've been told that is about the right interval. Heat is a big problem here and that contributes to the interval.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Bill,

These guys are talking about copper plugs. 20 to 25K is a bit early though. I use copper in my 4 cyl. Caravan and there is significant wear when I change them at the recommended 30K.

Regarding wires, my biggest problem is not damaging them, it seems. Their internal cores are very delicate. If you get a stuck boot, you have to be very careful getting it off. My manual recommends replacement at 60K, which seems about right. But, I have taken other vehicles to 100K without problems.

Yeah, I would tend to think every other spark plug change.
Vehicle tune is a function of how much one can afford. If the vehicle is a beater, then priorities will be different.

Carbon core wires age and wear internally. The carbon actually breaks down and resistance goes up as the umpteen jillion jolts of 30,000 volts go through the wire.
How long? Ford Motorcraft wires are probably the best factory wires, and they always have been Chrysler was adequate. GM good when new.
New wires are designed for long life - we should get 100,000 out of them. Many of course go 3 times that with stock wires [not recommended].
But I get an itchy trigger finger at 50-80,000.

Originally Posted By: benjamming

Vehicle tune is a function of how much one can afford. If the vehicle is a beater, then priorities will be different.

None of my vehicles are "beaters" and my family depends on them to safely operate in very ugly weather at very abnormal times of the day (my wife leaves for work at 3-4am. I get off work at midnight-4am) so being reliable is VERY VERY important.

We have NEVER had a vehicle not operate in the above fashion for well over 30 years. Many vehicles.

Just because I don't waste money or replace parts often does not mean that my vehicles are unreliable or safe.

And they certainly not "beaters".

Bill

None of my vehicles are "beaters" and my family depends on them to safely operate in very ugly weather at very abnormal times of the day (my wife leaves for work at 3-4am. I get off work at midnight-4am) so being reliable is VERY VERY important.

We have NEVER had a vehicle not operate in the above fashion for well over 30 years. Many vehicles.

Just because I don't waste money or replace parts often does not mean that my vehicles are unreliable or safe.

Bill

+1

I just replaced the original wires on my 97 Silverado because it was misfiring, as indicated by a code. The mileage was 116K. The code went away.

most of my cars and trucks are coil on plug but the few remaining that do have plug wires usually get serviced at about 60K-80K. I use Taylor spiro-pro in my LT-1's and in my dads LSX 5.3 along with NGK plugs. Never an issue.

Anyone know how often to replace NGK G-Power(Platinum) Plugs?

Secondly, I just found this little tid-bit while researching how often to change my G-Powers.

Turns out the Bosch +2/+4 are not to be GAPPED.. Maybe that explains why these plugs are always given a bad rap, people are gapping them when they shouldn't be?

Quote:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/sprkplg2.htm

Quote:

As for setting the plug gap, always follow the vehicle manufacturer recommendations. Spark plug gaps typically range from .028 inches up to .034 inches or even larger. One exception here is Bosch Platinum+4 or Platinum+2 spark plugs. These plugs are pregapped at the factory to a standard 1.6 mm gap and should NOT be altered regardless of what the vehicle manufacturer specifies for the engine. Bosch says this is necessary to achieve maximum plug performance and longevity, so do not change the gap.

Last edited:

Bill

I'm not sure why you quoted me as your reply had nothing to do with what I wrote unless you are talking about the 1st sentence that I wrote "every other spark plug change". Again, that would depend somewhat on the system which is why I quoted doitmyself's post & not the OP.
Do you believe that vehicle tune is separate to what one can afford?
Do you believe that a vehicle which is a beater will have different priorities than one that "my family depends on them to safely operate in very ugly weather at very abnormal times of the day"?

I visually inspect them and check the resistance when I change plugs. If they look good and test fine, then I leave them. I haven't had to replace any wires yet.

Well, after reading some of these comments, I'm thinking about getting mine changed. Is there really any benefit to changing them? (Better gas mileage, more power etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back