Honda CRV oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well finally did my first oil change on my 2009 CRV. i put in the 4.5 quarts of oil that Honda suggests in the manual ( they suggest 4.4 but 4.5 is a nice even number and will not hurt anything) I checked the dipstick and I was right on the lower hole on the dipstick. I even moved the car around the driveway to make sure it was more level and same thing. when I checked it with the factory fill it was halfway between the lower holes on the dipstick and the top mark on the dipstick. usually the lower and higher mark on a dipstick are a 1 quart difference, can the manual be off by 1 quart ?Amsoil site has the oil capacity at 4.5 quarts also. I did drain the car on my ramps with the drain plug on a downhill angle and it flew outta there. I used a purolator oil filter but I do not see it really holding a lot more oil than the oem one. have to say that this is one of the easiest oil changes I could imagine, the drain plug and filter are right next to each other. going to check the lever here at work today. thinking maybe I should just add the 1/2 quart to bring the leverl to the middle of the upper and lower readings on the dipstick. what say the Bitog faithful ?

I would add enough oil to be at max mark of the oil dipstick. In all my years of changing my own oil I have never measured much muc oil i use. I just go by the marks of the dipstick.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I have been changing my own oil in all of my cars and trucks and always used the dipstick as my guide . I found it odd that their measurements are off by a quart, you would think they would be a little closer as to the correct capacity LOL ! it is not like I added a jumbo filter :O)
Boss302fan , what year is your CRV ? so far I am very happy with it. all of the people I know with one have been very pleased with it .

Last edited:
My Accord with a similar engine, it's usually a bit more than a 5 quart jug to get to the upper mark on the dipstick.

With the weird Honda recommendation to only change the filter every other change, maybe it's 4.5 without the filter change? I don't know, I hit the filter every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb

With the weird Honda recommendation to only change the filter every other change, maybe it's 4.5 without the filter change? I don't know, I hit the filter every time.

+1, that is how it was on the wife's integra. You need to add 0.25-0.75qt to compensate for the filter.

Check it after it has sat overnight on a level surface. My daughters CRV would take several hours for all the oil to drain to the sump. I always used 4.5

I appreciate the experiences you all have had with your Hondas. seems like the 4.5 quart deal might be without the filter as we have seen similar numbers in being short. not sure what the reason is but I shall just fill like I always have in the past, using the actual level on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: matrass
I appreciate the experiences you all have had with your Honda. Seems like the 4.5 quart deal might be without the filter as we have seen similar numbers in being short. not sure what the reason is but I shall just fill like I always have in the past, using the actual level on the dipstick.

Yes, fill to full mark on the dipstick.

I have a honda element and the fill is either 4.3 or 4.4? Probably the same as your. It does the same thing to me where it only brings it to the bottom of the dipstick. I put in 4.8 or so and that brings it just below the upper mark. Some guys just put in 5 but in my experiance that puts it above the top mark. Hondas always go from the bottom mark to the top in just a few drops of oil, dont know why but it can be very frustrating! It also does it with the atf. They also can take a while to drain down so dont put in 5 then check it right after and thnk its ok because in a few hours you'll be over. I figure its better to be below the top mark by a little than above it by a little.

ryland ,

I am getting out of work soon and will check it as it has been sitting for over 8 hours and the parking lot is very level. when I get home I will add a little and check it again after work tomorrow. I have left it a little low because I did not want to just throw it in and end up being over the full line. I have 16oz left in the 5th quart that was added at the end of the fill.

Where are you at in the safe range? Like I said if you are in the middle or above I would just leave it because it will move up that stick quickly and you don't want to be over.

I would just throw five quarts in and call it good.
I have done this for ten years with my 4.5 quart Accord.
The very minor overfill is not enough to cause any problems.
I think we sometimes get into a number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin discussion WRT how much oil to fill the sump with.
I welcome correction, but I don't think a 10% overfill will cause any problems, the rough difference between 4.5 and 5.

Originally Posted By: ryland
Where are you at in the safe range? Like I said if you are in the middle or above I would just leave it because it will move up that stick quickly and you don't want to be over.

ryland ,

The oil level was just above the bottom hole on the dipstick, after siting for over 8 hours yesterday. when I got home I added the 16oz that I had left figuring at worst it would get me half way between the two marks and at best at the full mark.I had been checking the oil level that was in it from the factory and it was about 3/4 of the way up to the top mark on the dipstick. will check it again today after work in the same parking spot as yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back