Cleaning engine and engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I use Orange Blast degreaser. It's sold at Wal-Mart and other stores. It won't damage aluminum or paint.

Also a safe choice, it may not be as effective on heavy grease and oil but it will work pretty well.

That is the nice thing about natural orange/lemon based cleaners they are probably the safest products you can use on metals, plastic, rubber, or painted surfaces.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: White 03
There are warnings to not use Simple Green around aircraft because of Hydrogen Embrittlement. I have been told what that is but I don't really understand it. But I follow orders and don't use it on aircraft. I also don't use it on cars.

Sorry but according to Simple Green it is totally safe when used as directed, as a matter of fact it is recommended by aircraft makers .

Of course common sense tells you as with any cleaning product to throughly rinse off after use.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search=Search

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the simple green product that I commonly find in stores. I have never seen the product they have for aircraft. We use PH neutral washing products on aircraft; I wonder if the Simple Green aircraft products listed are PH neutral?

Along with commone sense the link lists several cautions about useing the product around aluminum. I suppose we would agree to be careful to read those cautions along with common sense.

It sounds like you are quite happy with Simple Green but I think my common sense and maybe an over abundance of caution tells me to find something else to use on my engine.

No prob White 03.

I know that many folks around here are a bit...well, anal, about stuff like this, but then again considering that a car in general is the 2nd biggest investment most folks will make I understand perfectly!
13.gif

I'd be careful cleaning aluminum with Simple Green. In a round about way what I'm getting from info below is this: it could be a problem. If the engine is fairly clean and there are no oil leaks etc, I use car soap mixed up strong, sprayed on from a Hudson Sprayer, and worked with a long soft bristled brush. A good 3" China bristle paint brush works great, then a gentle stream of water. IMO it seems the SG people are hedging their bets here. Opinions vary though!

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the "engine brite" or whatever they call it at Autozone, Napa, Advanced Auto and all of the others. The stuff is worth the $2.79 or whatever. Here is what I do:

Drive to the Coin-op car wash. Raise the hood. Spray the entire can on the engine including the underside of the hood (if you don't have hood insulation,) the top of the battery, the top of the radiator support, inner fenders, whatever. WAIT 10 MINUTES.

Put the quarters in and use the spray to wash it all off. DO stay away from the air intake, the coil packs, and harness connections.

Most cars handle this fine. Once every 30 times the car won't want to start or will run a bit rough for a bit. It will be fine after it dries out. A warm day or a leaf blower or a towel will speed this somewhat. I think when this occurs these one-out-of-thirty cars are probably not entirely road worthy due to age and some other things... they might benefit from a new engine harness. If your car does not run well after cleaning the engine in this way it isn't your fault!

I have done this to more than 30 different vehicles.

so what is the concensus on covering the alternator??? Sometimes they are near the bottom of the engine, telling me that they are relatively water-resistant...

I've always used dishwashing liquid mixed with a little water & clean with a short bristled paint brush, on a cold engine. Sometimes I'll apply Armor-All afterwards. Let it air dry for a while, then start it up and go for a ride to make sure all the water evaporates. No set schedule, just when it looks dirty. With the alternator, I wouldn't drown it in water, but lightly spraying it off won't hurt it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
so what is the concensus on covering the alternator??? Sometimes they are near the bottom of the engine, telling me that they are relatively water-resistant...

I think as long as the vehicle is run soon afterward, there is no problem. Alternators have to be at least somewhat water resistant, and a garden hose isn't going to do any more damage than heavy rain. I spray the alternator down with degreaser and water just like everything else and I have never replaced one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back