RaceTrac and Murphy USA Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vizzy

The best thing to do is look for a well maintained station. If you go to the Brand X station as your regular choice just make sure you put a bottle of PEA cleaner in the tank ever 3 or 4k .

Sorry, but the poor performance of Conocrud relative to other brands is *very* consistent across all the stations I've tried, some brand new. This is in my older cars that don't adapt, so you can immediately tell by all the preignition that the fuel doesn't have the same real-world octane as other brands.

Note: I *usually* use a brand (Shell or Chevron) that happens to carry the Top Tier label, its not like I avoid it and its generally not more expensive. But Exxon and Valero are every bit as good without the branding, and Conoco is garbage despite it. That's my only point.

Yes, all fuels have to meet certain guidelines for volatility, MINIMUM octane, etc. But some are much more consistent than others, and as people have already pointed out some brands exceed the minimum standards. But exceeding the standards for detergency is less critical than exceeding the standards for volatility and octane, IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Vizzy, you may want to be careful in arguing that all gas in one area is the same. I can tell you for a fact that gasoline here is not the same, varying depending on which refinery it was made at (there are two located in this area, both with fuel terminals) or if it came via pipeline.

For a while, the Lung Association tested fuel from three brands in the Twin Cities, each with a distinct source. While they all met octane and ethanol standards, the actual makeup was quite different.

As to whether top tier makes any difference, none of my car manufacturers endorsed top tier fuels, so frankly I don't care and have not had a problem.

It all depends on the local market, but at east in our case it is clearly not all the same (and one can tell sometimes just by smell!).

There may be a few exceptions but generally within a specific market there is NO actual difference between the base gasoline makeup from one station to another.

Chances are that if you filled up with name brand at one corner or brand X 10 miles down the road the tankers are using the exact same depot when supplying EITHER station, and with the exception of the detergents the base gas IS the same, this is fact.

Last edited:
The additives make a large difference. Especially in E10 areas, such as my parent's house in upstate NY, there are certain stations and brands that my car does not run well on, and certain brands where it runs like a champ. It seems to be the cut-rate stations my car runs lousy on, and the name-brand stations run better. Better fuel mileage, better power, smoother idle.

I wouldn't doubt that some brand name mfrs may even add a dose of something (proprietary) that adds to the perception of smooth operation of the engine.

My point Vizzy is to not make a blanket statement everywhere.

When I am in Northern MN, pretty much I am getting the same gas everywhere.

When I am in the Twin Cities, I can procure gas from Holiday and know it was refined at Flint Hills, gas from Superamerica was refined in Saint Paul Park, and it used to be that BP/Amoco gas was refined in Mandan, ND, but that refinery, pipeline, and terminal was all sold, so who knows where its from now.

If you do a little research, you can learn a lot about who supplies what in you area, and in SOME cases, it may be about the same at every stations, other not so.

Buyer beware...

I just got a phone call from a friend that his car [03 Ford Expedition] broke down this afternoon...Turns out he got a real bad tank of RaceTrac gas...Ford told him it was almost all dirt instead of gas...They are not sure how much it will cost yet but it looks like it might be over 1K bucks...The gas station was in Broward County.

Think I will just stick to Mobil and Chevron like I have been doing.

CrownVic4Life,

Where in Broward County ?

I use RaceTrac in all my cars but every 6 months use Redline Injector Cleaner, I also use Shell Injector Cleaner since I found a bunch of it on clearance for $2

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
CrownVic4Life,

Where in Broward County ?

I use RaceTrac in all my cars but every 6 months use Redline Injector Cleaner, I also use Shell Injector Cleaner since I found a bunch of it on clearance for $2

Atlantic Ave just east of I-95...Its a very busy station so I am surprised that it happened.

I use all brands of gas whether it is Murphy, Shell, Racetrac, Chevron, etc, the vehicles run the same regardless. The only thing we make sure of is the gas is purchased from stations that are clean and heavily used.

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
I use all brands of gas whether it is Murphy, Shell, Racetrac, Chevron, etc, the vehicles run the same regardless. The only thing we make sure of is the gas is purchased from stations that are clean and heavily used.

This station is very heavily used...What makes this so bad is he can not find the receipt that he purchased the gas there.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
If he used a credit card maybe he can get something through them.

Yes he did use a credit card...I will tell that when I see him later....Thanks.

Never had any problems with RaceTrac gasoline in 250K worth of miles in a few cars....

I do use an entire bottle of Redline once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back