What Synt. Has the Highest Moly Content

What Synthetic 5w-20 & 5w-30 has the highest moly content Im thinking of going to syn. in my new civic and I want a high moly oil. I am running exxon superflo 5w-20 right now but I would go to a 5w-30 syn. if i could find a high moly content oil.

Thanks alot in advance

If you go with redline, run the 5w20 as their HTHS values are comparable to a 5w30 from other companies. I would feel comfortable going the extended OCI distance of new hondas on Redline. Plus with such a small sump and extended OCIs, it won't cost that much money for an oil change with great oil.

Don't worry about it. It is like asking which cake recipe has the most eggs. The total combination of base oil and additive package determines the quality of the oil. No one ingredient determines the quality nor the engine protection.

Buy the oil with the best results in used oil analyses and actual operating reports, the oil that suits your needs, and suits your budget.

Ken

Ken2
quote:

Don't worry about it. It is like asking which cake recipe has the most eggs. The total combination of base oil and additive package determines the quality of the oil. No one ingredient determines the quality nor the engine protection.

Do not discount the quality of moly as well.

Moly is OK but mostly it's over hyped, over talked and over here.

Moly can be important, but more is NOT better.

There have been no solid statistical studies that say one motor oil is far superior than another oil, and certainly a block of oils considered contenders for this mythical prize contain no or very low amounts of moly.

Pablo
quote:

Moly is OK but mostly it's over hyped, over talked and over here.

A quick review of the uoa section has moly in Schaeffers(of course), Mobil one, Chevron Delo,Mobil 5000, Havoline and Castrol. Over hyped? I think not.

Yes, over hyped Salesrep. Look at the original poster's request if you need an example. Please do a search for newbies jumping in here looking for oil with "lots of moly". On the street fringe, moly is over hyped, no doubt about it. Look at the name moly (in any form) on a whole bunch of lubrication products for further proof of the hype. Some don't even contain molybdenum!!

This is NOT a swipe at any of the fine products you list, but I very much think moly is over hyped as a cure all, end all in lubricants by certain individuals. (and I think it's pretty cool that Mobil, Chevron, Havoline contain Mo and don't hype it)

I have to agreee that the formulation of the Moly that is added is more important than the volume. I think we are seeing more of it in oils now that the ZDP hase been cut back.
Once plated and there is enough in solution in the oil to maintain the plating what does this extra Moly do? Does it have significant anti-oxidant properties? What are the benefits of super high volumes of moly(above 300-400ppm)?? There are blenders doing this but at what point does the friction modification peak out? I look at the SM Dino oils using it and see it must help in passing the sequence test but what all is going on?

I agree with Pablo it is overhyped. More is not better and people using more VSOT than required are probably doing more harm to there engine than if they didn't use any at all. I think you must know how much additives are in your oil before you start adding more.

Funny thing is that GC has a very low moly count. So far I haven't seen any UOAs on GC that suggest the engines it's used in are going to he11 in a handbasket. Molybdenum's good stuff because it's effective and relativley CHEAP - just the antiwear ticket for inexpensive oils. But, it's not the only game in town.

Quote:
======
I agree with Pablo it is overhyped. More is not better and people using more VSOT than required are probably doing more harm to there engine than if they didn't use any at all. I think you must know how much additives are in your oil before you start adding more.

I have-yet to read a single VSOT-user report that his/her vehicle now uses more oil with VSOT (or) the engine is now gunkier with VSOT (or) the engine is louder with VSOT (or) the engine now leaks with VSOT (or) the engine runs rougher with VSOT.

Every one I read is just the opposite of this.
So please... if you know something about full bottle VSOT applications harming engines - lets hear it. If not, then please explain your reasonings.
confused.gif
dunno.gif

I agree with the posters that claim more moly is not always better,but......We use/and reccomend Torco Syn. oils,at the engine rebuilding shop here,which is LOADED with Moly,some of you claim way to much!.... But, I will tell you upon disassemby of Engines run with Torco (SR-1) oils.They look Brand new. Clyinders,valve guides,lifter bores,camshaft,main,rod bearings all look like they just came out of the box.Gregg/Ohio

Moly may well be overhyped, but it doesn't follow that it isn't great stuff.

Just looking at UOAs it is striking to me that, when I see a really great UOA with wear metals at really low levels for the miles, it is almost always (not always, mind you!) on an oil that has good amounts of moly. A pretty large percentage of those are either M1 or Havoline/other Chevrons.

Some engines do well on any oil, but there does seem to be a correlation with moly and low wear. I suspect it gives a very useful mechanical margin of safety that is helpful in all but the best-wearing engines.

Since there's no reason that I can see NOT to, I will certainly pay attention to moly in my own future oil use.

As an aside I'm sure the type of moly is important, but since I can't evaluate that I'll have to assume that the best oils (those mentioned in this thread, for example) use "good" moly which seems safe especially with an extensive UOA library here to draw from.

Finally, I too don't see the advantage of super-high moly concentrations. In fact my impression from UOA-watching is that 60-80ppm is enough.

- Glenn

I wonder the results of Redline and VSOT. A whole bottle of VSOT mixed with redline. I would like to see a UOA of that.

Back