Deionized vs Distilled Water for Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice the bottle of concentrated coolant says to mix with deionized water. Is there any reason they don't list distilled water? Some benefit over it?

I read this from the internet - do you guys think this is nonsense:
(Seems a little over dramatic to me. Why would the manufacturers all put mix with deionized water on thier bottles if this were the case - what do you guys think)

=========================
Note: Don't use deionized water. Use only distilled water.

Deionized water is water that is acidic from the H+ ions. The PH acidic and as a result attempts to correct this by pulling metal from the radiator (it will corrode the water blocks to get

its ions back) to correct the imbalance. While the significance of the PH isn't anything to be concerned with right away, over time this can have an effect on a radiator. Using deionized water a few times really isn't a big deal, but being left in for an extended period of time can have harmful effects.

Distilled water is distilled water. Neutral PH and no mater how many times it is steamed, it is still distilled water. This is why all race orgs say to use "distilled" water only vice deionized OR distilled water.

===========

Dunno.
At the power stations, all of the boiler water is de-ionised, through an anion, cation, and mixed process.

Tubes are steel, 5mm wall thickness, and run at 2,600psi and a few hundred degrees.

Corrosion protection is a little ammonia, hydrazine, and/or carbohydrazide, and they last 30 plus years doing so.

That stuff is a myth with bunk mixed in. I mean if you used PURE 100% water, maybe.

But once you mix even the tiniest amount of coolant/antifreeze with additives, it does not really matter how the water was purified.

Quote:

Deionized water is water that is acidic from the H+ ions.

That's just funny.

Yes, this is an old myth. Both types of pure water are deionized. Years ago many mechanics always said NEVER to use distilled water as it "was hungry" for metal and that you should use only tap water or else you would eat right through your radiator. Today, of course, we do the opposite to prevent scaling etc. Also, we use aluminum radiators, not brass, and aluminum is more resistant to corrosion from glycol/water than brass. So use either and the proper antifreeze and you will be fine.

I use distilled water with my AF and engine internals stay clean. I replaced my water pump on my old 96 Merc GM when it had 190,000 miles( for preventive maintainance) and the inside of the pump and engine were spotless. Just my experience.

Quote:
Quote:
Deionized water is water that is acidic from the H+ ions.

That's just funny.

Oh man, where does this stuff come from? What's sad is that people can spend a lot of time reading and thinking and still come up with a very flawed conclusion.

I use 59 cent per gallon distilled water from a convenience store, but only because we have hard water here. It's probably fine too, but distilled water is cheap enough most places.

However, I saw something very sad the other day ... a man at Pep Boys taking a gallon of distilled water to the register. It came in an anti-freeze shaped bottle, but clear. I think it was PEAK brand. Out of curiosity I went over to the shelf and saw that it was $2.99 a gallon!

PEAK's own website even says you can use tap water if you want:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#B

PEAK must have some brilliant marketing if they can get people to buy water in a flashy bottle at that price! Then again, it's still cheaper than the bottled water people buy and throw away constantly at over a dollar a pint.

1993 - So the bottle says to mix with deionized water?
Maybe they meant distilled. Either a translation thing or an ignorance thing.

And what happens if you put deionized water in a Saturn Ion?
Time travel due to flux capacitance??

For 25-30 years all I have ever used was water from the garden hose and I never had trouble unless it was in an engine that was known for having trouble like Chrysler 2.2's, some Ford Vulcans, GM 2.8, 3.1 & 3.4 V6's. Otherwise all I ever used was regular green antifreeze/coolant and garden hose water. We do have good water here in the Rochester area. I have never had any radiator, water pump, head or intake manifold gasket issues with engine known for their reliability. These days, with all of the hoopla' about ruining something in the engine(W/P, H/G, IMG), I've become reluctant about using anything other than the dealership coolant w/ distilled water...and ATF for that matter!

Well, if you did use JUST deionized water you would have issues. It's an ion magnet. It will entrain ions out of concrete and anything else.

I brought this up years ago. Kestas pointed out that there's plenty of stuff in the coolant to make it a non-issue.

I have been using tap water for the past 20 years for what it's worth. I also keep all my vehicles for at least 10 years.

If you're not using well water or water with a high mineral content then distilled is over kill. I don't use it simply because I would have to make a special trip to buy it and the additional required shelf space in the garage.

The newest car in my stable is 15 years old. In my experience, many radiators fail at the 12-15 year mark. If you're keeping your cars for only 10 years then tap water may be okay.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
distilled is very cheap, and good, if you live in an area with hard water. otherwise tap is good. de ionized is if you own a Bentley.
Most Bently owners probably do not own them long enough to get into the radiator.

I've kept my last 3 cars 16, 17 & 18 years and only 1 of those vehicles needed a radiator around 15 years and it was only due to exterior rot, way down low where I must not have blasted out the road salt well enough during my winter washings. Not to say that the other radiators would have lasted much longer, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back