Cost of removing a resealing rear glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had this done on my new to me 2004 truck.

I made a deal to leave the truck with them for the whole day and they would squeeze it in when they were not busy.

$55 to take off the old, clear out all the old glue/sealant, paint where ever there was clear metal and reinstall correctly.

It had a leak and now that I've had it installed correctly, a slight wind noise.

They did make me sign a release that if they broke the rear glass, I would not hold them to pay for the new one.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Pablo
$55 - sounds like a great price!

It was. They did a good job. I've also got to get the front one done as it sits out about a 1/4 of a inch past where it should be.

But they did say that it could break coming out. So I'm thinking about that one. There is a pretty good gap on the top of the gasket on the roof that bothers me. No leaks or noise though.

I'll prob wait till it gets a crack or needs to be replaced.

Take care, Bill

Slightly OT:

While detailing my 2005 Accord, I noticed the top corners of the rear glass is "exposed," i.e., there is no black rubber seal of any type around it.

I have not noticed any water in the trunk, fortunately, but I can't figure out a) why they designed it that way, and more importantly, b) why it's not leaking like a sieve.

MY rear window on the truck is the same way.

Under the glass is a LOT of sealant that keeps the window in place and prevents leaks.

Why? Cheaper.

Bill

Unbelievable.

Then again, nothing in the automotive industry should shock me anymore. Clearly Honda made an attempt to save money on their transmissions at one time, as well.

In the Detroit area we can get replacement windshields installed for $100-200 . The better quality urethane sealant cost about $10 per windshield and the weatherstrip $5. removing and installing a windshield takes less than an hour. $55 is a good price for a reseal . Two techs with a piano wire can remove one in minutes. removing the sealant is a pain ,but if you do it all day long , not bad.
My 95 corolla went for $110 out the door with guardian glass and new weatherstrip.

I had the rear window leaking into the headliner on my 92 taurus and the glass place I talked to said that they wouldn't guarantee that they wouldn't break the glass during removal and rear windows were apparantly scarce w/rear defrost. I bought a tube of flowable silicone window sealant and applied it up under the seal inside the car and out. Windshield stop leaking.

I guess I could have looked for a better glass place, but the car was only worth about 1000 bucks so I wasn't going to put too much into the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back